Reload this Page >

Best/worst tv show opening?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-09-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Best-Mission Impossible(1960s-70s) -the quick editing of scenes throughout the show is a great preview of what the episode is about and you find out who are the guest stars. Plus the music is top notch.
Worst-Mod Squad(1960s-70s) -you've three undercover cops evidentually running from something,but they are cops,so shouldn't they be doing the chasing. The action music doesn't fit either,because as cop shows are concerned,there is very little action. Nice eye candy(Peggy Lipton) saves the show from being a total bust.
Old 08-09-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best/worst tv show opening?

Off the top of my head:

Best: The Office (UK)
Worst: Covert Affairs
Old 08-09-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Neither best or worst but interesting. The second season of Dick Van Dyke Show. He would either trip over ottoman or sidestep it. It was random which opening would appear. Every week people betted in Vegas on which one it would be.
Old 08-09-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not only is "ANGEL" my all-time favorite series, it features my favorite title sequence.

I find the "Star Trek" openings interesting:

The Original Series was mirrored in the Next Generation, but with a cheapened, small-scale arrangement of the Goldsmith "The Motion Picture" theme.

Deep Space Nine was my favorite, again not only because of the show itself, but I loved the title theme and its different arrangements. When the show got bigger and more busy, the title sequence followed suit. There were actually three versions of the theme that made it on screen.

Voyager's title theme music was just the best part of watching that show at all. Completely outclassed the show in every way. Funny enough the various elements the ship flew through or past were never really in the show in that basic, every day sense. Just only if they came up against something odd.

Enterprise... Appropriate for the tone and sense of idealism in the title sequence yes. That's all I have to say about it.
Old 08-09-11, 08:05 PM

Funny that many recent TV shows don't even have title sequences. I looking at you "V" and "Heroes".

If we can expand TV to include premium channels, I'd say that "The Game of Thrones" title sequence is pretty damn awesome.
Old 08-09-11, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Best: Get Smart (Cheers is pretty good too)
Worst: Gimme a Break (the one with Nell Carter)

Last edited by The Cow; 08-09-11 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best: Homefront
Old 08-09-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best: Six Feet Under

Worst: The Big C (It's like nails on a chalkboard to me...)
Old 08-09-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Along with Six Feet Under, Carnival (!!!), Twin Peaks & X-Files, Millenium was always good to watch and I never tired of it.
Old 08-09-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best: Mary Tyler Moore Show or M*A*S*H

Worst: Entourage
Old 08-09-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin View Post
Not only is "ANGEL" my all-time favorite series, it features my favorite title sequence.
Absolutely, came in here to post that.

My other favorites would have to be anime related with the various openings to Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I also loved the different openings to Babylon 5 that progressed throughout the series. So awesome...

EDIT: Oh, and if we can expand this to mini-series...LOVE the openings for Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3bvk3V_yPh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GqHjovEQ4nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0zjYLmvDjhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tgs5krn8og8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Anubis2005X; 08-09-11 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Worst: Covert Affairs
This was the first one to come to mind for me too.

Best: Mad Men

Originally Posted by JANK View Post
Along with Six Feet Under, Carnival (!!!), Twin Peaks & X-Files, Millenium was always good to watch and I never tired of it.
And these too.
Old 08-09-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

worst- Tales From the Darkside, yeck
Old 08-09-11, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin View Post
We've discussed Angel in the past and so you may remember that it's one of my favorites (Buffy is my favorite show); the Angel theme is probably my favorite, though. I also really like The IT Crowd's opening.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Za3mj-izlSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5C1WB38Dei4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-09-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post

Worst: The Big C (It's like nails on a chalkboard to me...)
I was going to say the same thing.

Boardwalk Empire's opening bugs me too.
Old 08-09-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best: Smallville (I realize I may be in the minority)

Worst: Two and a Half Men
Old 08-09-11, 09:52 PM

BEST:
Star Trek
MASH
Batman 1966
Psych

VERY GOOD:
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Buffy TVS
Greatest American Hero
Hawaii Five-O (newer one)
Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Get Smart

WORST:
Secret Life of the American Teenager -- I absolutely hate that song.

Frasier -- while one of my all-time favorite comedies, I did not really like the theme song. It actually took me a while before it made any sense. (though to be fair I didn't put much thought into it)
Old 08-09-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post

EDIT: Oh, and if we can expand this to mini-series...LOVE the openings for Band of Brothers and The Pacific.
I thought The Pacific opening was amazing. Unfortunately I liked the opening better than the series itself.

Before I get bashed, I just want to say that I still liked The Pacific very much. If Band of Brothers didn't exist I'm sure I would have been blown away by The Pacific. Unfortunately, for me, after the perfectness (is that a word?) of Band of Brothers, The Pacific could only go downhill. It's a shame because The Pacific was extremely well done, but it just paled in comparison to Band of Brothers.
Old 08-09-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://youtu.be/pOSAEwUp2AY

Jack of All Trades
Old 08-09-11, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
That used to freak me out as a kid, so eerie. Nowadays I notice that the "world that is just as real, but not as brightly lit" still has 70's clunkers driving in the background.

Others for the best would be Friday the 13th The Series and The Twilight Zone '85 with music by the Grateful Dead.
Old 08-09-11, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it's the best but the opening to The Sopranos always got me excited for a new episode.
Old 08-09-11, 10:33 PM

BEST:

Doctor Who (the earlier versions from the 1960s and 1970s with that ominous iconic title music and travelling through time style titles.)

The Munsters (that theme is great and the title sequence explains the show and the characters succinctly through a simple presentation of their morning rituals.)

The Tomorrow People (nobody remembers this British sci-fi show but the music and crash-zooming images create a wonderful feeling of mystery.)

Quatermass II (the 1955 television version - creative use of Holst's Mars theme and mysterious smoky titles.)

The Twilight Zone (original)

Tales of Tomorrow (a gloved hand reaches slowly towards a massive circuit breaker, pulls it and the camera cuts to electrical arcs seething between two transformers. The music starts and the show title slams towards the audience. Great stuff - and grand scene setting.)

Covert Affairs (I actually really like this)

Battlestar Galactica (original 1978 version. Wonderful music, with grand narration from Patrick Macnee - "...Somewhere beyond the heavens."

The Outer Limits (both the original 1960s series and the 1990s version have great themes and titles.)

The Six Million Dollar Man (Loved this show as a youngster and would frequently quote the narration at the drop of a hat - "Steve Austin, a man barely alive. Gentleman - we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better. Stronger. Faster."

Bonanza (Love everything about this - the burning map and the da-da-da-da-DA-DUM-DUM theme music especially.)

Honorable mentions to Star Trek and to several grand British sit coms including Steptoe and Son, Love Thy Neighbour and espcially Dad's Army ("Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler if you think we're on the run?"

WORST

The Munsters Today (Way to rape someone's childhood memories.)

Til Death (the version that was used for one season with the characters dancing around like they were intellectually disabled.)

Law and Order (all versions of the show have awful theme tunes and titles.)

Rescue Me (painfully loud music and seems utterly at variance with the actual tone of the show.)

Most modern shows seems to underplay the need for title sequences or strong theme music. I think the 1960s in particular was a great time for theme tunes and creative titles sequences. It is a pity that this is an art that seems to have been lost.
Old 08-09-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mentioned these in an earlier post. The opening credits have some spoilers for those who've never seen the show...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VPPySgzHUtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HgtL8bZp4kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yXbKKhEZVVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I put a spoiler tag on the last video because the still frame is a pretty big spoiler.
Spoiler:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v1emoP8Xh1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 08-09-11, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
Absolutely, came in here to post that.
Originally Posted by awil1026 View Post
We've discussed Angel in the past and so you may remember that it's one of my favorites (Buffy is my favorite show); the Angel theme is probably my favorite, though. I also really like The IT Crowd's opening.
In a bit of shameless self-promotion, a while back I created an extended title sequence / summary of the show using the soundtrack album's extended version of the ANGEL theme:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-BRhKMZLkGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-09-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
I love that opening. It used to creep the hell out me as a kid.

Battlestar Galactica (new) is probably one of my favorites. The music is just perfect and would give me chills nearly every time. Oz is another one that I loved. Nowadays I usually just fast forward through the credit sequences, since I dvr everything.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.