Old 07-31-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Falling Skies -- "What Hides Beneath" -- 7/31/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Weaver turns more and more erratic, stirring up trouble while on a reconnaissance mission with Tom and Hal. Meanwhile, Pope constructs a potent weapon; and Anne makes a startling discovery while performing an autopsy on a skitter cadaver. Blair Brown (Fringe) guest stars.

Episode 8 of 10

Next week is the 2 hour season finale
Old 07-31-11, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Falling Skies -- "What Hides Beneath" -- 7/31/11

Not great, but maybe slightly better than what it has been.

The return of Karen to the storyline is too little and WAY too late. It's almost like they were reading message boards and suddenly decided, "I guess we do need to do something with Karen." I had to laugh a little when the teenage son tried to suddenly show some emotion towards Karen after not even trying to rescue her or even thinking about her in the last 4-5 episodes.

Only one more 2-hour finale episode. Perhaps, they can make a comeback and salvage the show. We'll see.

Last edited by northmoor; 07-31-11 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by northmoor
Not great, but maybe slightly better than what it has been.

The return of Karen to the storyline is too little and WAY too late. It's almost like they were reading message boards and suddenly decided, "I guess we do need to do something with Karen." I had to laugh a little when the teenage son tried to suddenly show some emotion towards Karen after not even trying to rescue her or even thinking about her in the last 4-5 episodes.

Only one more 2-hour finale episode. Perhaps, they can make a comeback and salvage the show. We'll see.
I thought he was more like "Who is this blonde chick and why is she bringing tea to the door? Her face...it looks vaguely familiar..."
Old 08-01-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoever it was in an earlier thread, good call on the biped aliens.
Old 08-01-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely better than much of what we've seen. But the hammy sentimental moments that they shoehorn in at every opportunity continue grind this show to a screeching halt. The new alien species and the Skitter harnesses were cool developments that were surrounded by crap like the Tea Lady and Pope bonding with Tom's son. Not to mention Weaver's storyline which was pointless and contrived...........

Paraphrasing
Weaver: "Leave me here, I've lost all hope ,I want to die.
(2 seconds later)
Alright Lets kick some ass!!!"

Didn't they say that they had dissected dead skitters before? No one else during those dissections noticed the harness embedded in there backs?!

Pretty much every scene involving Pope is awful. And why would one of the commanding aliens tag along to drop off food and gather intel from an old lady? Seems like the kind of menial task that they would use a Skitter for.
Old 08-01-11, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't remember the exact plot details on the dissections so there could be an out. Personally I would hope it turned out that those skitters were originally of a different species and that the connection wasn't made at that point.

Part of the reason why the hammy shit sucks worse than just on face value is the incredibly awful scoring; it's completely generic and it basically consists of sustained strings at either a low volume during twists or a high volume at inspirational moments.

I am glad to see that they did follow through on a hierarchy of aliens and if they are smart enough to use the established deal-making as part of a new coalition, that will be great. Might be telegraphed but at least it's interesting instead of some mundane crap.

Last edited by gmanca; 08-01-11 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-01-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Still no explanation why Ben acts differently than Rick.

I saw that the skitters were those that were harnessed long before the autopsy. Also surprised no one else took the time to dissect one. So what's in the mech? I guess it's just a version of the ED 209? I always thought there was something inside them, like the mech from D9. Figured there was some other aliens behind the scenes and good to see them now.
Old 08-01-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

This was the episode that I finally dropped this show. I tried to force myself to watch, knowing that next week is the finale, but couldn't get through the first 15 minutes.

I feel better...haha

I rarely drop serialized shows (the last one was Heroes), so I'm kind of disappointed this show didn't hold my interest.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 08-01-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Still no explanation why Ben acts differently than Rick.
I thought they said that Ben's skitter was dead when the harnes was removed so they didn't have a connection. But Rick's harnes was removed while his skitter was still alive so they still had a connection.

Or maybe I read that somewhere...
Old 08-01-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
the other aliens sure do jump it up a notch
Old 08-02-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Definitely better than much of what we've seen. But the hammy sentimental moments that they shoehorn in at every opportunity continue grind this show to a screeching halt. The new alien species and the Skitter harnesses were cool developments that were surrounded by crap like the Tea Lady and Pope bonding with Tom's son. Not to mention Weaver's storyline which was pointless and contrived...........

Paraphrasing
Weaver: "Leave me here, I've lost all hope ,I want to die.
(2 seconds later)
Alright Lets kick some ass!!!"

Didn't they say that they had dissected dead skitters before? No one else during those dissections noticed the harness embedded in there backs?!

Pretty much every scene involving Pope is awful. And why would one of the commanding aliens tag along to drop off food and gather intel from an old lady? Seems like the kind of menial task that they would use a Skitter for.
Weaver's switch was explained by him finding his wife's glasses. Seems reasonable.

Also, who says the bi-peds are commanding class? Our heroes? They know nothing and it was just an assumption. Until we know for sure what they are it's hard to say what they would and wouldn't do.

Autopsies are typically done from the front, so missing the harness is not that much of a stretch.

I liked this episode and I'm curious to see what the finale brings.
Old 08-02-11, 05:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Clearly I'm in the minority...but I liked it.
Old 08-02-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I don't get all the hate either. I thought the reveals (the bipeds, harnessed skitters, and the mech shells) made the story very interesting, and really changes the way we look at the skitters from now on. Knowing that they are mind-controlled slaves makes them pitiable creatures, and makes it more tragic to have to kill them.

As for the difference between Ben and Rick, there could be a number of reasons. It could be the length of time they were harnessed. It could be related to the fact that Rick was healed of a serious disease, and that triggered some kind of an emotional bond. It could simply be Stockholm Syndrome in Rick that Ben somehow avoided.

Seriously I can think of at least half a dozen more reasons why they might be acting different, and I don't fault the show for not making it clear (yet). I don't need to have everything spelled out for me from square one to stay interested.
Old 08-03-11, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

they better make lead bullets and only use the mech metal for the core, or they won't have any rifling left in their barrels
Old 08-03-11, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was the first episode that I actually liked. Not that much has improved... I think I'm just invested in it now.
Old 08-03-11, 10:55 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

I like this show too... yeah, it's not hi-brow stuff, but certainly better than the drek on SyFy.

I'm in for the finale and season 2.
Old 08-03-11, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I like this show too... yeah, it's not hi-brow stuff, but certainly better than the drek on SyFy.

I'm in for the finale and season 2.
Same here.

But I really wish the writers were more attentive to detail. Like, how did three motorcycles being driven near the base go unnoticed by the aliens? Of all the scavenging they group has done, the only recon equipment they could find were a pair of binoculars, a rifle scope and a low-powered camera lens?

I get that this is a leave-you-brain-at-the-door-type show, but shit like like that is just lazy.
Old 08-03-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Of all the scavenging they group has done, the only recon equipment they could find were a pair of binoculars, a rifle scope and a low-powered camera lens?
How much recon equipment do you expect there to be in Boston? Its not like they are going scavenging on military bases. They are still in the suburbs.
Old 08-03-11, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats
How much recon equipment do you expect there to be in Boston? Its not like they are going scavenging on military bases. They are still in the suburbs.
Um, they've mentioned scavenging at military depots, and they carry modern submachine guns. Safe to assume they might have stumbled upon a telescope or a few pairs of binoculars at a sporting goods store.
Old 08-04-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I really enjoyed this episode too. A big jump in entertainment value for me. The series has been kind of take it or leave it for me so far but now I'm looking forward to the finale. The harness reveal and the new aliens added a little intrigue.
Old 08-07-11, 02:52 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great episode, love the new master aliens