TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- "Thirty-Eight Snub" -- 7/24/11

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- "Thirty-Eight Snub" -- 7/24/11

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Speaking of mysterious phone calls, was it ever revealed by Vince about who warned Hank about the Twins?
Yeah, pretty sure it was Gus. Walt basically confronts him about it at one point and lays out the entire reasoning of why Gus would do such a thing, which I don't remember Gus ever denying...
Old 07-26-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering the surveillance that Mike put into Walt's house in season 2 when they were still vetting him, I would be surprised if they didn't have a tracker on Walt's car.
Old 07-27-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Late to the party here, had to wait for it to be on demand, since I missed the first 15 minutes because my dvr messed up.

Anyway, the acting is superb, I love how it can be great without them saying one thing and just using suddle body language or facial expressions. Like Mike noticing the blood, Jesse being silent basically the whole time the girl asked him about the money while still clearly showing he really cares for her, and then walt putting on the hat and with facial expression alone, changing into Heisenberg.

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Mike reflecting on the blood on his cuff, man Jonathan Banks is delivering in spades on this show. He was fantastic. Said so much with minor facial expressions. He's thinking about Gus and their future, he knows things have changed and probably irrevocably. When Walt said it out loud he reacted violently against what he already knew in his own mind. Just terrific.
Originally Posted by Coral
Jesse obviously wants to avoid thinking about killing Gale... and always wants to be around people. However, when he's by himself, and knowing that the shit could come down on him at any time, I don't get how he would feel safe with the music blaring around him drowning out any sounds of someone coming after him. I'd be paranoid and would want to be able to hear if someone was trying to get in.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't think Jesse cares if someone comes to get him, honestly. He's messed up.
I totally missed him being afraid of Gus and wanting people around and I agree it is definitely more because if it's silent, all he can think about is Gale and the murder.

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Seems it was neither Mike or Gus that called Walt:

It was the new guy.

Scroll down to the bottom.
Vince Gilligan clears up the phone call.
I was going to say this, since when I watched it, I couldn't recognize either voice as both Mike's and Gus' voices are very distinct. I came here to ask, but always assumed it was the new 'Victor'. Since Victor seemed to get the more petty jobs, and watching over Gus' house would be one of those.

The cartel and other ideas are good to think about, I just wonder if Walt does Kill Gus what does he do then? It's not like Walt could just take over without creating supsicion as Gus has all of the legitmate businesses for cover.
Old 07-27-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It still hasn't reached last season quality level, but still the best show in TV.

Oh and I thought it was Mike who made the call.
Old 07-28-11, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was pretty obvious that Jesse wanted people around because he is terrified of being alone with his thoughts. This is why he wants the party to continue. The final shot where he turns the music way up and sits against the speaker grabbing his head made this clear. He's tying to escape himself, a tough thing to do when everyone leaves. I don't think he is at all even conscious of his safety or lack thereof.
Old 08-24-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Jim Beaver talks a bit about his appearance on the show:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, about my "Breaking Bad" appearance. I very much enjoyed doing the show (though I was disappointed not to get a chance to work again with my beloved Anna Gunn). As to the question of whether my dialog was specifically written for me in such a manner because of my "Deadwood" history, the answer is outside my ken. I know I was cast in the part because they knew me from "Deadwood," as they made mention of that. But I doubt that the role was "written for me." More likely, the character spoke the way he did and then they were reminded of "Deadwood" and that led to my casting. But I have no idea.
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...terans-edition
Old 06-08-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Seems it was neither Mike or Gus that called Walt:

It was the new guy.

Scroll down to the bottom.
Vince Gilligan clears up the phone call.
I know it was already cleared up by Vince Gilligan, but I just listened to the commentary for this episode, and the writer (George Mastras) said it was Tyrus. However, the subtitles credited it to Mike.