Old 07-17-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Falling Skies -- "Sanctuary Part 1" -- 7/17/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Part 1 of 2. Another resistance leader appears at the camp, sounding an alert that the aliens will soon attack and offering to take the children to safe shelter. With time running out, Tom and the others must weigh his proposal.

Episode 6 of 10
Old 07-18-11, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Falling Skies -- "Sanctuary Part 1" -- 7/17/11

So they have roughly 100 "soldiers" and when the school is attacked by a mech while on "high alert" only 4 armed soldiers respond?

How was the Skitter able to get through the chained door that a child 1/4th his size could barely squeeze through?

The skitters are after the children yet they send them off with 3 soldiers to a camp that they have never heard of, don't know where it is and didn't even bother to send a scout beforehand to check it out to make sure it was still safe.

The entire "send the children to sanctuary" plan never made sense to begin with. They know a skitter assault is on its way, whats the point in staying behind? They should have packed up whatever they could carry and hauled ass out of there with the children.
Old 07-18-11, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could this show be more predictable

as soon as that new guy showed up i thought, yah hes working with the aliens

and so it was
Old 07-18-11, 05:20 AM

This show is truly awful, and yet I keep watching.
Old 07-18-11, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Backlog
This show is truly awful, and yet I keep watching.
me too. I bashed V 10x more than this show but they are on a level playing field, IMO.

I'm hoping the show flashes back to the invasion. Isn't that what we all really want to see?
Old 07-18-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When Sarah Sanguine Skies Carter laughed her maniacal cackle, i thought her jaw would unhinge and she would bite off Moonbloodgood's head.

She has some set of choppers on her, talk about a tombstone grin and a graveyard smile.

and yes i would hit it with the fury of a thousand suns.
Old 07-18-11, 11:33 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Every summer seems to have a show like this such that it's pretty bad but we all keep tuning in (Harper's Island, Persons Unknown and now this).
Old 07-18-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
me too. I bashed V 10x more than this show but they are on a level playing field, IMO.
Not quite. Both are spectacularly bad in ways, and both make me embarrassed for having watched them. But ... as poorly as this is plotted and as much as it tries to force-feed itself as a character drama (with characters nobody could possibly give a shit about), it has one big advantage that places it above V. Occasionally, some shit actually happens.

With V, it was sit around and talk about shit we could do. Maybe even start a plan before quickly aborting it. As bad as Falling Skies is, at least they occasionally do something.
Old 07-18-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Every summer seems to have a show like this such that it's pretty bad but we all keep tuning in (Harper's Island, Persons Unknown and now this).
I still have nightmares about how bad Persons Unknown was.
Old 07-18-11, 02:54 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

in its defense, Harpers Island wasn't thaaaaat bad.
Old 07-18-11, 03:22 PM

Well, I see the bashers are back this week. lol. Still watching. Still bashing. (whatever floats your boats).

I personally don't need to know EVERY LITTLE detail, such as how the skitter got through the door that the kid barely got through. My imagination allows me to fill in such little details by thinking "the skitter must have broke the chain or lock.". Details like that seem like nitpicking.

On the other hand, I'm still surprised after several weeks that the "soldiers" as well as the militia leadership have just ignored Karen. She was captured, and they have just forgotten her, haven't they? Whatever happened to leave no man (or woman) behind?

I think the show is okay. Not great, but ok. It's got potential. At least we know it's already been picked up for a second season. I thought "V" and "The Event" got off to slow to mediocre starts, but picked up a little ways into the seasons. Just have to wait and see on this one.
Old 07-18-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was into this show until the last two minutes of this episode. I was thinking half-way through that, if this show is going to start sucking, then Henry Czerny will be working with the aliens. Well, whadya know?

This show doesn't have the kind of compelling characters to keep me watching through the weak spots.
Old 07-18-11, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I was into this show until the last two minutes of this episode. I was thinking half-way through that, if this show is going to start sucking, then Henry Czerny will be working with the aliens. Well, whadya know?
Unfortunately, it was just too obvious not to know.
Old 07-18-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan
It was obvious, and an obvious opportunity not to suck.

FAIL.
Old 07-18-11, 08:01 PM

Story is bad yet I still watch.
Old 07-19-11, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts

Obviously there are viewers in this forum who have totally different expectations from this show. I don't think the show is bad at all. Yeah it got off to a rough start in the 2 hour premiere, but I think it's improved alot these last few weeks. I think the human characters have developed well including Tom, his kids and Anne. Geez, what is the criteria that you guys are comparing this to for it to be considered "Good science fiction?" How many remarkable truly alien invasion dramas have aired on network or cable TV in the last 10-15 years for this show and "V" to be considered so inferior? The only one that I can think of that got pretty damn good before it was cancelled was Invasion on ABC a few years ago. But, nothing that really set the bar so high.

It isn't perfect though, as mentioned before, I'm surprised they have totally forgotten about Karen. Do they really have no clue where she is?

I thought the twist with Henry Czerny's character capturing Pope and working with the Skitters and the Mechs was kind of cool.

I'm really impressed with the special effects and creature effects for the Mechs and Skitters, especially for a TV budget.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-19-11 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-19-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm really impressed with the special effects and creature effects for the Mechs and Skitters, especially for a TV budget.
The Skitters are awesome, they remind me of the aliens in District 9. That scene with the Skitter skittering away at the end of this ep was great.

The Mechs look a little too CGI-y in the daytime scenes, but look great at night.

As for this episode, maybe it's because I'm not paying really close attention to the details but I liked it. I also liked the twist of the guy working with the aliens.
Old 07-19-11, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously there are viewers in this forum who have totally different expectations from this show. I don't think the show is bad at all. Yeah it got off to a rough start in the 2 hour premiere, but I think it's improved alot these last few weeks. I think the human characters have developed well including Tom, his kids and Anne. Geez, what is the criteria that you guys are comparing this to for it to be considered "Good science fiction?" How many remarkable truly alien invasion dramas have aired on network or cable TV in the last 10-15 years for this show and "V" to be considered so inferior? The only one that I can think of that got pretty damn good before it was cancelled was Invasion on ABC a few years ago. But, nothing that really set the bar so high.

It isn't perfect though, as mentioned before, I'm surprised they have totally forgotten about Karen. Do they really have no clue where she is?

I thought the twist with Henry Czerny's character capturing Pope and working with the Skitters and the Mechs was kind of cool.

Have you seen Battlestar Galactica? It sets the bar for drama, character development, special effects, etc. This show fails compared to BSG... yet I still watch.
Old 07-19-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

moon bloodgood is hot.
Old 07-19-11, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
When Sarah Sanguine Skies Carter laughed her maniacal cackle, i thought her jaw would unhinge and she would bite off Moonbloodgood's head.

She has some set of choppers on her, talk about a tombstone grin and a graveyard smile.

and yes i would hit it with the fury of a thousand suns.

Originally Posted by crankman
moon bloodgood is hot.
Reason enough to keep me tuned in.
Old 07-19-11, 11:38 AM

Geez, what is the criteria that you guys are comparing this to for it to be considered "Good science fiction?" How many remarkable truly alien invasion dramas have aired on network or cable TV in the last 10-15 years for this show and "V" to be considered so inferior?
It has nothing to do with what else has been released. It's weak because it's poorly scripted, poorly conceived, and poorly executed. A comparison to other poorly scripted, poorly conceived, and poorly executed shows doesn't change any of that.
Old 07-19-11, 11:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 I was grumbling about this point, and I've given the show a lot of leeway thus far.

Thos.
Old 07-19-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It has nothing to do with what else has been released. It's weak because it's poorly scripted, poorly conceived, and poorly executed. A comparison to other poorly scripted, poorly conceived, and poorly executed shows doesn't change any of that.
And, while I'm sure his input is limited, this show should have the benefit of Steven Spielberg and his resources.
Old 07-19-11, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Moon Bloodgood shooting scene.

"What, do you think you're a terminator or something?"

Clever writers, clever.
Old 07-19-11, 02:36 PM

Sometimes I think Moon Blood Good's parents were Tonto and Frankenstein.

"FIRE BAD, MOON, Blood, GOOD. "

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.