Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Honeymooners" - episode "Hello Mom" from the Classic 39...how would you end this

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"The Honeymooners" - episode "Hello Mom" from the Classic 39...how would you end this

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0604636/

At the end of the episode, Alice gives Ralph a letter to read "out loud," and it turns out to be a homage to "Mother-In-Law," and it's quite elequent, and very beautiful...except for the last line about a woman becoming President of the United States...I mean, with all the women now running for the Presidency, it hardly seems like a far-fetched scenario.

How would you end it to make it better?

Dear Mom,

I'd just thought I'd write and tell you this. A mother-in-law is the most criticized, the most misunderstood and the most defenseless of all women.
The average women must be clever enough to know when to speak, but a mother-in-law must know when to keep silent.
She must be very wise, wise enough sometimes to withhold advice, although she knows the answer to the
problem.
A mother-in-law must sit on the fence between her own child and the child by marriage. Somehow she must keep her balance. She must lean backwards until her spine aches or else she's accused of being partial and she isn't permitted the luxury of hurt feelings or tears.
If a person could put themselves in their mother-in-laws place, weigh her in the balance, being completely fair; they'd nominate her for the Presidency of the United States, and she'd be the first women to make it.
Old 07-12-11, 09:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: "The Honeymooners" - episode "Hello Mom" from the Classic 39...how would you end

I'd just add "Then she'd kill us all during one of her hot flashes."
Old 07-22-11, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: "The Honeymooners" - episode "Hello Mom" from the Classic 39...how would you end

I wouldn't know how to phrase it, but I'd have words to the effect that she raised the woman/man you loved.
Old 07-22-11, 11:55 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd end it like this:

If a person could put themselves in their mother-in-laws place, weigh her in the balance, being completely fair; they'd nominate her to rewrite a 55 year old episode of a classic sitcom for no discernable reason.
Old 07-22-11, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

What's The Honeymooners?
Old 07-22-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
What's The Honeymooners?
It's the live action version of The Flintstones.
Old 07-22-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

What do you mean you've seen this? It's brand new.
Old 07-22-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
they'd nominate her for the Presidency of the United States, and she'd be the first women to make it.
Number one...I doubt it said "women".

Number two, since no woman has actually become President, it's still a perfectly valid message.

Number three, please stop asking questions.
Old 07-23-11, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bang! ZOOM!!
Old 07-23-11, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw this movie! Cedric the Entertainer, right?
Old 07-26-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Number two, since no woman has actually become President, it's still a perfectly valid message.

Number Three, please stop asking questions.
True, but it kind of makes the beauty of the piece come to a screeching halt. I liked what digidoh said - it was the ONLY helpful comment by ANYbody! Thank, digidoh.

Say, Numanoid - your parents ever have any kids that lived? Sorry for the question, but I just couldn't help myself - I'm Buh-Buh-Buttmunker!