Old 06-21-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Covert Affairs -- "Bang and Blame" -- 6/21/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Annie searches for a leak at the Farm, but her investigation could endanger her own career if she becomes the next victim of a leak.

Episode 3 of 13-16

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QLOfU-GuqZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-22-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Covert Affairs -- "Bang and Blame" -- 6/21/11

I liked this episode, though some of it was a little cheesy (like Annie trying to "discreetly" tail the instructor by weaving wildly through traffic and running red lights at 80 mph). The new love interest is kinda bland--I predict he won't last long.

I liked that the plot hinged on the fact that Annie had been pulled from the academy early. Nice callback to the pilot.

The identity of the bad guy was kind of random, but the "Point Break" scene at the end was fun.
Old 06-22-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked that there was a plausible third option after it wasn't the instructor and then it wasn't the pretty obvious choice in the super-competitive roommate. They established early on that the guy snuck in the whiskey.

I also did not like the tailing scene and in fact think it would have been better to have her get busted right then and there by the instructor. It almost played to me like they were plotting the episode a couple different ways and for whatever reason ended up having to use mismatched scenes because maybe something ruined the more sedate tailing scene or something like that.
Old 06-29-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Pretty good episode, although I completely missed why she'd be screwed if she was "caught". Did it have something to do with a foreign agency figuring out who she really is? Plus if Annie was "allowed" back in, why couldn't they get those back in who were kicked out as a result of the tampering?

I liked the twist, although it was fairly obvious that person was going to be the guilty party. I really need to figure out the technical term for it, but I'll make this up in the interim with: Camera Linger - When a shot focuses on a character for an inordinate amount of time that is inconsistent with their role in the plot to date. In effect this foreshadows their inevitable role in plot later in the story.
Old 06-29-11, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Pretty good episode, although I completely missed why she'd be screwed if she was "caught". Did it have something to do with a foreign agency figuring out who she really is? Plus if Annie was "allowed" back in, why couldn't they get those back in who were kicked out as a result of the tampering?
Annie was allowed back into the Farm (CIA training academy), not back into the CIA. No problem there.

Didn’t they say it’s because the opposition would post her name on a website of known spys.
Her cover now blown, the CIA would then disavow her, effectively making her “burned” (see Burn Notice also on USA network).

You can’t work very well as a spy if the bad guys already know you’re a spy before you even show up.

As for the others that were “burned”, Annie said the CIA found them jobs in the State Dept.