Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killing -- Season Finale -- "Orpheus Descending" -- 6/19/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you come back for season 2?
Yes, I really liked the show.
57.95%
Yes, but only if they do some major re-tooling and create a really interesting arc.
18.18%
Undecided. Wait & See if something better is on.
5.68%
No, I had alot of issues with the show. I'm done after the finale.
18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

The Killing -- Season Finale -- "Orpheus Descending" -- 6/19/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: The Killing -- Season Finale -- "Orpheus Descending" -- 6/19/11

Originally Posted by windom
So now the killer won't be revealed until...
Spoiler:
the end of season two.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/11/th...season-report/

Let the bitching begin.
And with that piece of information, I'm officially out.
Old 01-12-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Even though the majority of my poll says they liked the show and will come back this Spring, it seems like there are alot more haters commenting here. The outrage for this show IMO is a little over the top and sometimes obnoxious.

I plan to come back when this returns. I know alot of people were expecting some resolution to this case by episode 13, but this is Day 13 of the case. I said it in one of the earlier threads, some murder investigations take months or even years to solve. I have no issues with the real-time aspect of this show and the case getting resolved by Day 26. I just wonder how they are going to incorporate a new case into this season (if that's what they still plan to do) and if Linden and Holder will still be working together.

Another 13 weeks isn't a huge time commitment for a serialized murder mystery, especially for cable. If it was 22-24 weeks, then yeah I could see that being a problem.
Old 01-12-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Even though the majority of my poll says they liked the show and will come back this Spring, it seems like there are alot more haters commenting here.
I am sure that some, like myself, voted before the finale. I loved the show so much before the finale I figured there was no way that they could lose me.

But don't worry, I won't be trolling the season 2 threads.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-12-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I agree that obviously it's being true to how an actual investigation works, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the concept is a great idea for a television show in my opinion. The show was just dragging by toward the end of the season and throwing in a new twist pretty much every episode only to have it debunked shortly after. I was actually enjoying the series up to the finale thinking oh it's a little slow but we'll get a resolution by the end and next season they'll work a new case (The Wire style sort of). But no..

There are certain aspects to the show I do like. For instance I really liked Holder until they threw in the fact that he's a dirty cop as another twist is disappointing to me and seems like they're just putting a twist in just for the sake of it. I also thought the Seattle setting for the show was kind of cool and somewhat different from other cop shows.

There were definitely a few solid episodes in the season but I have a hard time accepting that we're going to have to sit through thirteen more episodes of watching Linden's dumb ass trying to solve this case and finally meet the real killer.
Old 01-12-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The show wasn't crap. The writing was a little thin, but the acting was good from the main actors, and some great acting from some supporting actors. And yeah, some not that good from supporting actors too.

For me it was like Dexter's ending, but backwards. Dexter: average/boring season, oh but that last scene changed everything. I can't wait for next season. Or something like that. The Killing: as I say above average/good season, but that last episode. You basically don't have any faith about the next season. Another 13 episodes of the family, is she going to California? What about the son, zzzzzzzzz.

In my last post, before the latest update, I thought about watching the new season until they revealed the killer. After reading the latest update I think I'm changing my mind. I don't know. Maybe I will try to watch the season premiere?
Old 01-12-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish I could be so glued into a show where the outcome of the show actually had any impact on me whatsoever.

It's TV and it's not even HBO or Showtime so who cares? Why do writers of shows need to write to your conditioned expectations of what a show should be?

By the way, one of the things I enjoyed about the show was it's slowness. It went along with the overall bleakness and sadness of the show.

I have to agree about the sub story of Linden moving to California and the whiney fiance. Who cares? That was my biggest problem. She should have just been a single mom with a kid.
Old 01-12-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When will this be coming back? Usually the blu-ray release, which is mid-March for this, usually means a new season is close. Is that the case here?

I'll admit that I was upset with the finale, but I mostly enjoyed the 1st season, especially the acting, so I'm looking forward to season 2.

You know, I actually got interactive with show. They had a website with the suspects and you could vote each week and the numbers would go up and down. How do you do that and not be telling the audience they'll get the answer at the end of the season?

Are we really supposed to be voting during the hiatus? Aren't we just not going to care? They really hyped up the fact that we would get the killer by season's end and I felt not only disappointed, I not only had a problem with one of the episodes towards the end that was truly weak, but I wasn't pissed that the show's creator had a different vision than solving a case in 12 episodes. I felt they went out of their way to mislead the audience and that really was my biggest problem with how the finale went.

With the problems being what they were, I sure won't be buying this on bd like I will with, say, Homeland, since I don't really have faith this show will have a long run or that it will even be satisfying in season two. That said, I will watch very much hoping to be proven wrong.
Old 01-12-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Irregardless of the finale, it was a crap show. As evidenced by mostly everyone in the weekly threads we had. The finale, or lack thereof, was the cherry on top.
Old 01-12-12, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
I liked the show a lot and was not disappointed there was not closure. I honestly don't understand the outrage. Twin Peaks didn't reveal the killer in the first season either, IIRC.
That didn't work out well for TWIN PEAKS.

Unless there were three or four more seasons that never made it to US shores and were somehow only aired in Tajikistan.
Old 01-13-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure the continuance of Twin Peaks had little to do with them not naming Laura Palmer's killer in the first season.
Old 01-14-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Season 2 starts April 1.
Old 01-17-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Season 2 starts April 1.
It starts on April Fools? Clever...
Old 01-18-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Veena Sud and her writers are a bunch of hacks. This show started out great and had a lot of potential, but it's just so paint-by-numbers. All they ever did all season long was present a suspect or a lead and then cast it aside with a twist. They weren't all that clever or well thought out and were usually either super predictable or totally illogical. It is fitting that this show, which made fools of us all, should return to television on April 1st.
Old 03-24-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I just got done with the season and I didn't think it was THAT bad. Yeah, it started off great and then trailed off but it's at least keeping my interest to watch season 2 either via DVR or On Demand.
Old 03-24-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kstublen
Veena Sud and her writers are a bunch of hacks. This show started out great and had a lot of potential, but it's just so paint-by-numbers. All they ever did all season long was present a suspect or a lead and then cast it aside with a twist. They weren't all that clever or well thought out and were usually either super predictable or totally illogical. It is fitting that this show, which made fools of us all, should return to television on April 1st.
So I guess we won't be seeing you in any of the Season 2 episode threads?
Old 03-25-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have seen a few articles with Producers and Actors asking people to com back after the backlash.

I don't thnk the show is good enough to come back.

Interesting article about how fans turned on the show:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...ena-Sud-303769
Old 03-30-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Just watched the whole first season in two days from Netflix streaming. I am ready now for season 2. My biggest gripe was that she never figured out how to put her phone on vibrate.
Old 03-30-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I have seen a few articles with Producers and Actors asking people to com back after the backlash.

I don't thnk the show is good enough to come back.

Interesting article about how fans turned on the show:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...ena-Sud-303769
So they're basically saying that they understand a lot of people hated the way they ended season one and are hoping we'll come around so they don't get low ratings and wind up cancelled? Yeah sorry but no thanks. Unless I hear some fantastic reviews not a chance I'll watch this show again..