Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Next Food Network Star -- Season 7 Thread -- Premieres 6/05/15

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Next Food Network Star -- Season 7 Thread -- Premieres 6/05/15

I'm surprised by how they seem to be giving Susie the "good" edit. I like her quite a bit, but the Food Network already has an attractive, petite woman cooking Mexican food. Will Susie be able to bring anything new to the channel?
Old 07-21-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I don't know, I'm not crazy about Jyll at all. I agree with the judges that she seems completely artificial.
I when the judges said that since Giada has one of the fakest smiles I've ever seen.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 07-21-11 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone watch them on Raechel Ray today? There were definitely 2 standouts that should not be in any danger if the show on Sunday is solely based on their performance today. 2 others made a major mistake and the other 2 were just meh.
Old 07-25-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

Interesting, so they aired them on the RR show before the actual NFNS episode was aired?

It was time for Jyll to go.

Jeff killed it (I said it right before RR used the same description).
Old 07-25-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I loved Flay's "Jesus Christ" line that they left in.
Some nutjob exec must have got their panties in a twist because in the replays that line has been edited out. It wasn't for time issues either because they still showed Bobby with his head down mouthing something, but no audio.
Old 07-25-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Slider
Some nutjob exec must have got their panties in a twist because in the replays that line has been edited out. It wasn't for time issues either because they still showed Bobby with his head down mouthing something, but no audio.
Might just be the replays that air during the day.
Old 07-25-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Seems like Jeff is pretty much the guy who has this in the bag, minus any big setbacks. He can cook decently and he has the best camera presence.
Old 07-25-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think he has it in the bag at all, though he did do great last night. I think they'd rather have Susie or Vic.
Old 07-25-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Slider
I have seen a lot of discussion elsewhere about the line, I think they actually got a fair amount of flak for that line.
Old 07-25-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jyll's grasping at straws to find some relevant niche or POV was almost painful to watch. She had polish on camera, but was just so phony and she knew it.
Old 07-25-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I don't think he has it in the bag at all, though he did do great last night. I think they'd rather have Susie or Vic.
I completely disagree. You can tell they like both of them, but they understand you can teach someone to cook. You can't really teach them to be good on camera. They've said as much many times on the show.
Old 07-25-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, to an extent you can. Vic and Susie have both been very good on camera at times. Similarly, there are times when Jeff has bombed. He killed it last night, and if that was the only on camera moment, sure, you'd have to pick him. But overall, I don't know that he's been head and shoulders over them. And in previous seasons, it wasn't obvious who was going to win, as all of the contenders had some bad camera moments and some good ones. And with practice and instruction, they were able to become more consistent.

Granted, if he keeps performing like he did last night, he will be hard to beat. Especially if they don't step it up. But this competition is by no means over. I wouldn't count Whitney out either. Mary Beth, however, is a Dead Man Walking.
Old 07-25-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Being on on camera "at times" is not all the time. Jeff has been great all the time (in my opinion), even when he's bombed with his stupid comedy, because he's still engaging on camera. Nobody was better than when he had the stage show where he had to present himself. He's the kind of guy (see Adam Gertler) where talent on camera will trump cooking talent. His premise is also an untapped potential for the network.
Old 07-26-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Jyll was a train wreck, and her elimination was so obvious they didn't even bother with the suspense. I think she realized early on that Midwestern comfort food wasn't going to take her far and she never really settled on a concept after that. While I think her audience question was a little harder than what she could have gotten, her lack of concept made it really difficult.

As tired as I am of sandwiches, Jeff really sticks with his schtick, and Rachael can refer to "the sandwich guy" and everyone knows who it is.

After Susie's setback, I'm not really seeing a frontrunner. Jeff was the winner this week but others were better before. Other than Mary Beth, I wouldn't be shocked to see any of them win.
Old 07-26-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being on on camera "at times" is not all the time. Jeff has been great all the time (in my opinion), even when he's bombed with his stupid comedy, because he's still engaging on camera. Nobody was better than when he had the stage show where he had to present himself. He's the kind of guy (see Adam Gertler) where talent on camera will trump cooking talent. His premise is also an untapped potential for the network.
I agree that Jeff reminds me of Adam, and I liked Adam. But Adam had difficulties because he didn't know how to control himself, and jeff has some of the same. And being like Adam doesn't make him a shoe-in, because ultimately, Adam didn't win. But of course, Adam is probably more recognizable now than Aaron, and I enjoy watching him more. So I agree that Jeff has a good shot, and his concept at least has a good foundation (though I wonder how far he can go with a show about sandwiches, but I also don't think their concept is all that important to the FN). But I think like davidh777, that there's no clear frontrunner. Though I will repeat, if Jeff keeps performing like he did this week, he will be very tough to beat.
Old 07-31-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Jeff crushes it again. The "roast" angle was really tame. They should've let them really go after the contestants. Loved several of the comments by Gilbert "never turn down a free meal, let alone 5 meals" Gottfried made. Aubrey Plaza also had some good lines. I'm somewhat shocked that they sent Whitney home. She seemed like she had a better concept.
Old 08-01-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeff crushes it again. The "roast" angle was really tame. They should've let them really go after the contestants.
I'm sure there was plenty of good non PC material that was cut, remember this is the Food Network not Comedy Central

was waiting for GG to make a comment when Jeff mentioned au jus .... but like I said
Old 08-01-11, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musick
I'm sure there was plenty of good non PC material that was cut, remember this is the Food Network not Comedy Central

was waiting for GG to make a comment when Jeff mentioned au jus .... but like I said
I'm sure GG said plenty of stuff on the cutting room floor.

Just like I'm sure anybody could have responded back with "When's your next tour to Japan?" or something of that nature.

Too easy. I was almost daring someone to take a shot.
Old 08-01-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm sure this was recorded quite some time ago, so I doubt all that Afflac stuff had even happened.
Old 08-01-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that regardless of who wins, Jeff, Vic and Susie will all be on the FN or Cooking Channel.
Old 08-01-11, 04:50 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

I think that regardless of who wins, Jeff, Vic and Susie will all be on the FN or Cooking Channel.

Kinda giggled a bit when Vic said that his last name was really "Moe".

"Why I oughta!?"
Old 08-01-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It's Jeff's competition to lose now. I would love to watch a show devoted to sandwiches. But I agree, may not be a long-lasting concept.

I predict Vic will be gone next week.
Old 08-02-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Vic is actually going to do well now that he's dropped the "Vegas" and is going to go full Mama's Boy.
Old 08-02-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I think Vic is actually going to do well now that he's dropped the "Vegas" and is going to go full Mama's Boy.
If he's able to flip the switch and be himself, I think he'll take the competition.
Old 08-08-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats to Vic, Susie, and Jeff.

I wonder if Susie has a chance since there's already Mexican food programs on the network? I Like Vic's Mama's Boy and Jeff's Sandwich King ideas.

As other's had posted, no matter who wins, I see these three popping up on the network. I can also see Mary Beth around once in a while for food commentary.

Naturally, Penny was an asshole again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.