Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone subscribing to Starz notice this?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Some of these pay channels do some annoying things. Even though we pay an extra fee to see content uncut and commercial free, some programs have those annoying animated graphics on the bottom of the screen advertising for another program. And I hate when they cut out the closing credits to show a commercial (no wait ... it's a "sneak preview" - they're doing this as a service to the subscribers).

Tonight, while watching "Law Abiding Citizen", I saw something I never saw before. Something that made my jaw drop with how obnoxious it was. Several times throughout the movie, the picture would go completely black (though the audio was continuing normally). While the screen was black (and presumably they had the viewer's complete attention) an advertising graphic came on the screen telling me I didn't want to miss the next episode of "Camelot". After a few seconds, the movie's picture came back on. It seemed so crazy I wasn't sure that I didn't imagine the whole thing. But sure enough, another 30 minutes or so and it happened again. WTF?!?!?!? I wouldn't even have thought a "regular" channel would do something like this, let alone a premium channel.

Has anyone else noticed this with Starz programming? I can rent Blu Rays to see everything I'm interested in on Starz and probably save money. Hell, Netflix "Watch it Instantly" has a lot of Starz programming. I can't see myself staying with this channel if this is going to be a regular advertising strategy.
Old 06-03-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts
Re: Anyone subscribing to Starz notice this?

I recently got Starz, but haven't notice this issue at all. Though I'm watching the non-HD channel, so that could be a reason.

Somehow I was able to convince my cable company to give me the Starz package free for one full year. So I've been abusing those channels like crazy since I don't have Netflix. hahaha
Old 06-03-11, 11:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is this a free preview weekend, maybe?
Old 06-04-11, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
It is free next weekend on Directv. Maybe now on others?
Old 06-04-11, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't think so. There's no mention of it on Starz homepage. And usually the advertising during those things are very directed at getting people to subscribe (with teasers about all the great stuff that will on after the free weekend is over) - not to just stick around and watch the next show.
Old 06-04-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't Startz especially skeezy?
Old 06-04-11, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's Skinemax.
Old 06-04-11, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this like a full screen advertisement, or did the screen go black while the advertisement popped up at the bottom of the screen? If it was the latter then it may have just been a technical hiccup that caused the screen to blank. I can't imagine they would actually blank out the picture on purpose, but then again I can't believe a lot of the distracting pop-up ads some channels use.
Old 06-04-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
Was this like a full screen advertisement, or did the screen go black while the advertisement popped up at the bottom of the screen? If it was the latter then it may have just been a technical hiccup that caused the screen to blank. I can't imagine they would actually blank out the picture on purpose, but then again I can't believe a lot of the distracting pop-up ads some channels use.
It was the latter (which I bolded). I suppose it's reasonable to think that it could've been a technical error. As obnoxious as these pop-up ads are becoming, this seemed to cross way over the line (even more so considering it's a premium channel). Even worse that this awful thing TBS was doing a couple years back (which I haven't seen since, which gives me hope that the channel got so much negative feedback that they stopped):

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2vUtfG9Bkec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-04-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a graphic for some show while I was watching a movie the other night. It only popped up once and the screen never went black.
Old 11-23-11, 08:03 PM

Traded last 3 months of Dish's anniversary gift of free Starz for HBO and Cinemax. I hope they never degrade their service with interrupting end credit music and songs.

Dish currently has Starz on free preview for those who aren't on the anniversary gift

http://www.photoshack.com/albums/use...starzsucks.jpg
Old 11-23-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really surprised a premium channel would be doing that. I never heard of it before.
Old 11-23-11, 09:53 PM

I know. It's ridiculous. Why is it so hard to want TV channels with no bugs, no snipes, and no messing with the end credits ever? HBO is the only service that offers this.