DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   very laggy DirecTV HD-DVR (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/591348-very-laggy-directv-hd-dvr.html)

TGM 05-30-11 07:54 PM

very laggy DirecTV HD-DVR

my HR-24 has become very laggy lately... playing something, pulling up the menu, or the guide can take up to 6-8 seconds... very annoying... once a show is playing RW, FF etc work fine without lag... changing the channel with thr up/down keys is fine, yet changing the channel by jumping using the numbers is laggy... anyone have this problem, and if so how do I fix it? thanks.

musick 05-30-11 08:02 PM

Re: very laggy DirecTV HD-DVR

I've noticed the lag as well

Mr. Salty 05-31-11 03:05 AM

A reboot will sometimes fix a problem like you're describing.

Drav3n 05-31-11 07:12 AM

I've had this problem for a while. Reboot's don't help.

Deftones 05-31-11 09:35 AM

i noticed it within the past week as well. i'm wondering if they issues are relating to the most recent software push.

Red Dog 06-25-11 02:10 PM

Mine has been bad the last week. Not so much on pulling up recorded programs, but switching channels. Reboot did nothing.

bootsy 06-25-11 02:39 PM

Yeah I noticed last night when I turned on my tv the screen was black for about 30 seconds and then the screen finally came up. I thought there was something wrong with my TV at first. At first the lag time turning channels was slow but started to get better after a while.

Jeremy517 06-25-11 02:45 PM

One of ours was slow for a while too. Clearing nvram seemed to help a lot. Go to channel 1. Once it has fully loaded, push Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green. You should see a message about nvram being cleared.

If the guide is slow, turn off scrolling effects.

If your DVR is slow to respond to your remote, press and holding mute and select until the green light on the remote flashes twice. Then press 9 6 3 and the green light should flash twice again. Then push channel down, and the green light should flash twice again. Remotes usually send a verification code with each button press, which then has to be processed by the receiver before the button press goes through. The steps above disable to verification code.

We also had a remote where you had to push the buttons pretty hard to get them to respond. I took the remote apart and wiped everything down. The inside was a bit greasy and dirty. After cleaning it, the remote was back to normal.

Red Dog 06-25-11 02:50 PM

Well that helped, although it said nothing about nvram being cleared.

Jeremy517 06-25-11 02:51 PM

One more tip. If you want the 30-second button to skip forward right away instead of acting like a 30-second fast-forward, go the show search and do a keyword search for "30skip" (without the quotes). If you want to revert it back do a keyword search for "30slip".

Jeremy517 06-25-11 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 10831338)
Well that helped, although it said nothing about nvram being cleared.

It usually says it in small letters in the bottom left corner. I suppose it could vary based on model though.

Red Dog 06-25-11 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 10831343)
It usually says it in small letters in the bottom left corner. I suppose it could vary based on model though.

I have a 21 model.

TheMadMonk 06-25-11 02:56 PM

Mine has been like this as long as I've had it (couple years).
Very annoying.

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 10831330)
If your DVR is slow to respond to your remote, press and holding mute and select until the green light on the remote flashes twice. Then press 9 6 3 and the green light should flash twice again. Then push channel down, and the green light should flash twice again. Remotes usually send a verification code with each button press, which then has to be processed by the receiver before the button press goes through. The steps above disable to verification code.

I just tried this, and it seems to have helped quite a bit. Thanks! (hopefully it lasts)

Deftones 06-25-11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 10831294)
Mine has been bad the last week. Not so much on pulling up recorded programs, but switching channels. Reboot did nothing.

it's a national thing. happened to quite a few people. doing a double reboot (twice within 30 minutes) seems to do the trick, but it erases all guide data so be wary if you are planning on recording something relatively soon with it.

sherm42 06-25-11 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 10831341)
One more tip. If you want the 30-second button to skip forward right away instead of acting like a 30-second fast-forward, go the show search and do a keyword search for "30skip" (without the quotes). If you want to revert it back do a keyword search for "30slip".

Crap that is awesome. This was one my last complaints about DTV vs. TiVo.

mugwump 06-26-11 10:33 AM

Had the slow down after last week's new software push and it seems to have been fixed after a simple reboot in my case.

musick 07-08-11 04:26 PM

slower than ever when changing channels and my remote keeps loosing ability to work in AV1 mode with my receiver

Groucho 07-08-11 04:36 PM

I need to reboot. When mine isn't slow, the sound stutters when I change HD channels. Wasn't doing this before the last update.

TheKobra 11-24-11 01:04 PM

Anyone find a way to make the HD DVR box respond quicker? I just rebooted all 5 of my HD DVRs and they still run slow. I may have to doe a competed erase on one of them to see if this corrects the issue.

Jeremy517 11-25-11 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheKobra (Post 11017588)
Anyone find a way to make the HD DVR box respond quicker? I just rebooted all 5 of my HD DVRs and they still run slow. I may have to doe a competed erase on one of them to see if this corrects the issue.

Post 8 in this thread.