DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Top ten animated shows of all-time? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/591328-top-ten-animated-shows-all-time.html)

dvd-4-life 05-30-11 09:40 AM

Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
1.) The Herculoids(coming soon to dvd)
2.)Space Ghost(60s)
3.)Jonny Quest(60s)
4.)Birdman(60s)
5.)Spider-man(1967)
6.)Batman TAS
7.)X-Men(90s)
8.)Spider-man(90s)
9.)Woody Woodpecker Show(50s)
10.)Challenge of the Superfriends

DJLinus 05-30-11 10:24 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
I have a feeling a lot of the shows I watched as a kid wouldn't hold up when viewed years later as an adult (He-Man, Thundercats, etc.). Looney Tunes would, but the classics were originally theatrical shorts, so I'd eliminate it on a technicality.

Off the top of my head (and not a full ten):

The Simpsons
Futurama
King of the Hill
South Park
The Tick
Family Guy
Rocky & Bullwinkle

kstublen 05-30-11 01:14 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Lists are always subjective, so you're entitled to your opinion, but while I liked them as a kid I'd hardly consider The Herculoids or Space Ghost as among the top ten animated shows of all time.

---

Anyway, here's my list, in no particular order. I'm basing it on quality, re-playability, and impact.

The Simpsons
Looney Tunes
Cowboy Bebop
King Of The Hill
Batman: The Animated Series
Futurama
South Park
The Flintstones
Home Movies
The Rocky And Bullwinkle Show

(And while I know Looney Tunes wasn't technically a show, I'm counting it since lots of us grew up watching this as a television show)

Tscott 05-30-11 01:32 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
IMHO

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. The Maxx
4. Animaniacs
5. Rocky & Bullwinkle
6. The Simpsons
7. Daria
8. Aeon Flux
9. Boogiepop Phantom
10. Futurama

Michael Corvin 05-30-11 01:44 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
1. DuckTales
2. Looney Tunes (even thought it's a cheat)

That's it.

Supermallet 05-30-11 01:53 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
In no particular order:
Futurama
Batman The Animated Series
Aeon Flux
Animaniacs
Tiny Toon Adventures
Space Ghost Coast To Coast
The Brak Show
Darkwing Duck
Duckman
The Tick

wmansir 05-30-11 01:58 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Avatar
The Simpsons
Home Movies
South Park
Cowboy Bebop

... I know there are more but I'm blanking.

PopcornTreeCt 05-30-11 02:51 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10794988)
In no particular order:
Futurama
Batman The Animated Series
Aeon Flux
Animaniacs
Tiny Toon Adventures
Space Ghost Coast To Coast
The Brak Show
Darkwing Duck
Duckman
The Tick

No love for Tale Spin?

Supermallet 05-30-11 03:11 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
I always thought Tale Spin was a step down from Duck Tales, which was a step down from Darkwing Duck.

Geddlo 05-30-11 04:00 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Venture Bros!!

Gunde 05-30-11 04:09 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Does 10 great animated shows even exist?

dvd-4-life 05-30-11 06:48 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Except for my list, I see no love for Alex Toth,so far.

kstublen 05-30-11 07:29 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 10795248)
Except for my list, I see no love for Alex Toth,so far.

Because if you're limiting these to the Top 10 Animated Shows of All-Time, I don't think his shows are up to snuff. And even if you are going to include him, I don't think he deserves to have three shows on the list.

His shows have some great animation and fun voice acting to be sure, but most other shows on people's lists also have those things. His shows are enjoyable, but they all follow the same format and structure and can get a little repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but they're not shows I could watch over and over again and enjoy just as much the first time as the last time. They aren't that nuanced, the characters don't really progress, and there isn't a lot there. The shows are charming as nostalgia and definitely had an impact on animated television, but I just don't think they're as good as a whole as most of the other shows people have listed.

And again, including one on the list of 10 might make sense to me; including 3 doesn't make sense at all since Birdman, Space Ghost, and Herculoids are basically all the same show. Not to mention Johnny Quest (which you also included on your list) was far more ground-breaking than those three and usually had better plots as well.

Again, just my two cents. You're entitled to think what you want. I'm just offering a reason why he isn't represented on people's lists.

fumanstan 05-30-11 08:24 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 10795282)
Because if you're limiting these to the Top 10 Animated Shows of All-Time, I don't think his shows are up to snuff. And even if you are going to include him, I don't think he deserves to have three shows on the list.

His shows have some great animation and fun voice acting to be sure, but most other shows on people's lists also have those things. His shows are enjoyable, but they all follow the same format and structure and can get a little repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but they're not shows I could watch over and over again and enjoy just as much the first time as the last time. They aren't that nuanced, the characters don't really progress, and there isn't a lot there. The shows are charming as nostalgia and definitely had an impact on animated television, but I just don't think they're as good as a whole as most of the other shows people have listed.

And again, including one on the list of 10 might make sense to me; including 3 doesn't make sense at all since Birdman, Space Ghost, and Herculoids are basically all the same show. Not to mention Johnny Quest (which you also included on your list) was far more ground-breaking than those three and usually had better plots as well.

Again, just my two cents. You're entitled to think what you want. I'm just offering a reason why he isn't represented on people's lists.

Because if you're limiting it to 10 animated shows, I don't think his are up to snuff. While the shows were certainly ground-breaking and are enjoyable, they all follow the same basic format and structure and can get a little repetitive. The animation is great and the voice-acting is fun, but the plots just get pretty boring after a while, and again, the shows are all basically the same. I can see maybe including one of his shows in a Top 10 List, but definitely not three. Again, this is my own personal opinion.

This was a little awkward, its like you repeated yourself a bunch of times :p

As for me, I'm only 28 so its hard for me to judge the top 10 of all time since i'm skewed towards whatever aired during the 80's and 90's. I never cared for stuff like Jetsons or Flintstones.

My own personal favorite however, in no particular order -

The Simpsons
South Park
Duck Tales
Muppet Babies
Transformers
Batman The Animated Series
Justice League / Unlimited
Tiny Toons
Animaniacs
Dragonball Z

Archer, is quickly going to bump one of these.

kstublen 05-30-11 08:39 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Thanks for pointing that out, lol. I typed out the lower portion, didn't like how it sounded, and then re-worded it; surprised I forgot to delete it.

Michael Corvin 05-30-11 11:05 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10795063)
I always thought Tale Spin was a step down from Duck Tales, which was a step down from Darkwing Duck.

Does not compute.

DuckTales: 1987-1990
Darkwing Duck: 1991-1997

Hell, Wiki even says DD is a spin-off of DuckTales.

fumanstan 05-30-11 11:15 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
I thought he meant step down in quality.

Fist of Doom 05-30-11 11:35 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Kind of off the top of my head...

1. Looney Tunes
2. The Simpsons
3. Rocky & Bullwinkle
4. Futurama
5. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
6. Liquid Television
7. Pirates of Dark Water
8. Tom & Jerry
9. Ren & Stimpy
10. The Angry Beavers

brayzie 05-31-11 01:23 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
1)The Real Ghostbusters
2)Transformers
3)Ducktales
4)Sailor Moon
5)The Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
6)Ghost In The Shell SAC
7)Fleischer Superman
8)The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
9)Muppet Babies
10)Batman The Animated Series

Howie2000 05-31-11 02:25 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
1. The Critic
2. The Boondocks
3. Futurama
4.Moral Orel
5.The Simpsons(The awfulness of the last dozen years drags it down)
6.King Of The Hill
7.Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
8.South Park
9.Sealab 2021
10.Pinky And The Brain

Double_Oh_7 05-31-11 03:45 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
How can you all not include The Flintstones?

Wazootyman 05-31-11 03:53 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
I'm not sure what my top 10 is, but The Critic is definitely at the top. It might even be one of my favorite shows ever. I drop random quotes from it like other people do The Simpsons. When I was in class a couple years ago and said "Hachi Machi!" One person immediately got it, and I knew he'd be my friend.

Dragon Tattoo 05-31-11 04:46 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Any list that doesn't have Avatar: The Last Airbender on it is a list from someone who never saw Avatar: The Last Airbender.

dan30oly 05-31-11 05:42 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
1. Starblazers (shocked no one else has mentioned this yet)
2. Transformers (original run)
3. South Park
4. Futurama

/end thread.

conscience 05-31-11 06:34 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
01. Beavis & Butt-head

Animaniacs
The Critic
Doug
King of the Hill
Ren & Stimpy
The Simpsons
South Park
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)
X-Men (The Animated Series)

Trevor 05-31-11 06:58 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 10795111)
Does 10 great animated shows even exist?

A troll response not worthy of a reply, but...

Might as well say that 10 great movies don't exist, or 10 great books don't exist.

Animated shows are just words and pictures. There is no limit to how great those words can be, or great the pictures can be.

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 10795634)
How can you all not include The Flintstones?

Important historically, but it doesn't hold up for me personally. At least not well enough to make my top 10.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 10795644)
Any list that doesn't have Avatar: The Last Airbender on it is a list from someone who never saw Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I wanted to like this, and tried it multiple times, but don't get the appeal at all. Seems like something for 9-16 year olds only, no offense intended.

Michael Corvin 05-31-11 07:31 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10795541)
I thought he meant step down in quality.

And? How can it be a step down in quality when it existed prior to the thing it's being comparing it to?

Trevor 05-31-11 07:39 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10795701)
And? How can it be a step down in quality when it existed prior to the thing it's being comparing it to?

Really?? I get your point, but have never heard of anyone imposing time restrictions on the use of that phrase.

Something from 1950 can be called a step down from something from 2011, imo.

Dragon Tattoo 05-31-11 07:40 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10795701)
And? How can it be a step down in quality when it existed prior to the thing it's being comparing it to?

I guess the semantics are what's bothering you?

Would it help if he'd used "A level below" or "Less well done that..."?


Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10795679)
I wanted to like this, and tried it multiple times, but don't get the appeal at all. Seems like something for 9-16 year olds only, no offense intended.

Did you make it to season two? Avatar doesn't actually become epic until Toph shows up.

starman9000 05-31-11 07:47 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
I think it's just that he said "was a step down" instead of "is a step down."

Michael Corvin 05-31-11 08:11 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
:lol: Fuck, I don't know. It's just peculiar phrasing. Looking back, I can see DT being being a step down or if you are watching them on DVD for the first time but if you watched them as they aired DT can't possibly be a step down since DD didn't exist yet.

So yeah, I think it's the "was" that threw me and throws the argument out of whack. :)

RichC2 05-31-11 09:22 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Serial Experiments Lain
Cowboy Bebop
Batman: The Animated Series
Futurama
Ren and Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
The Simpsons
Family Guy
South Park
Transformers

fumanstan 05-31-11 09:40 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10795701)
And? How can it be a step down in quality when it existed prior to the thing it's being comparing it to?


Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10795706)
Really?? I get your point, but have never heard of anyone imposing time restrictions on the use of that phrase.

Something from 1950 can be called a step down from something from 2011, imo.

Yeah, same. I don't associate time with the phrase.

fujishig 05-31-11 12:24 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 

Originally Posted by dan30oly (Post 10795653)
1. Starblazers (shocked no one else has mentioned this yet)
2. Transformers (original run)
3. South Park
4. Futurama

/end thread.

Yeah, I would think Starblazers and/or Robotech would have made several lists. Serialized storytelling, actual deaths (unlike Battle of the Planets where it was edited out), continuity, etc.

Top 10 is tough. Stuff like Transformer, GI Joe, Thundercats, M.A.S.K., He-man and other things that were marketed almost solely to sell toys don't really hold up all that well without the benefit of nostalgia. And some of the 90's superhero stuff like X-men or Spiderman are pretty tough to look at.

Batman TAS certainly is up there, having spawned the whole Timm-verse, which is arguably better than some of the source material, and almost certainly better than the comic books of that era.

Simpsons, for longevity sake, tough I agree with others that it's gone on for too long.

I still like Duck Tales the best of all the Disney shows of that era (even over Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles). Animaniacs also slightly edges out Tiny Toons for WB stuff in that era.

This may also be through rose-colored glasses, as I haven't seen the series in a looong time, but I loved Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse. And his collaboration with Kricfalusi, Ren and Stimpy.

I'm not sure where to put classic stuff like Yogi Bear, Scooby Doo, the Flintstones, Popeye, etc.

Anubis2005X 05-31-11 01:46 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Duck Tales >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Darkwing Duck.

starman9000 05-31-11 01:55 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Futurama
Rocky and Bullwinkle
King of the Hill
The Simpsons
Beavis and Butthead
Looney Tunes
The Pirates of Darkwater
Kidd Video
Scooby Doo
Superfriends

Supermallet 05-31-11 01:57 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
I know Darkwing Duck came after Duck Tales, but I thought it was the superior show.

Also, somehow I had forgotten about The Critic and The Last Airbender. I would amend my list to put those on there. I'd take off The Brak Show and Duckman.

wuxiakitty 05-31-11 09:49 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
Cowboy Bebop
South Park
Futurama
Duckman
Archer
Beavis & Butthead
Superjail
American Dad
Metalocalypse
Squidbillies

CreatureX 05-31-11 11:51 PM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
1. Futurama
2. Samurai Jack
3. Duck Tales
4. Batman The Animated Series
5. Darkwing Duck
6. American Dad
7. Looney Toons
8. Sym-Bionic Titan
9. South Park
10. The Simpsons
11. Scooby-Doo Where Are You?

mhg83 06-01-11 12:35 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?
 
http://tv.ign.com/top-100-animated-tv-series/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.