DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Top ten animated shows of all-time? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/591328-top-ten-animated-shows-all-time.html)

dan30oly 06-01-11 12:47 AM

Re: Top ten animated shows of all-time?

Is there any way to see the list without clicking on each individual freakin' page???

*nevermind. I googled the list and the fact that Clerks (don't get me wrong, I love the Clerks animated series), makes the fucking list and Starblazers doesn't get a mention makes the list a complete joke.

SunMonkey 06-01-11 07:50 AM

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Futurama
3. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
4. The Simpsons
5. Justice League / Unlimited
6. Batman: The Animated Series
7. X-Men
8. Invader Zim
9. DuckTales
10. Transformers

Shamus McAnally 06-05-11 01:28 AM

Beavis and Butthead
South Park
Family Guy
Tom and Jerry
Scooby Doo
Justice League
Simpsons
GI Joe
Flintstones
Looney Tunes

Given a few more years (of the same or better quality) though, I'll gladly move Archer and Bob's Burgers on to the list and move some kiddie stuff off.

edstein 06-05-11 07:00 AM

Tom and Jerry
The Flintstones
Scooby Doo
Transformers
Ren and Stimpy
Battle of the Planets
Cowboy Bebop
Johnny Quest
Looney Tunes

coladar 06-05-11 08:11 AM

I cannot believe the lack of love for Gargoyles. By far my favorite animated show of all time. Even more, from watching as a ten year old, you go back to these shows and see they were really crap. I watched the first season of Gargoyles recently, and that is not the case. For me, 1-10 is Gargoyles. Such a freaking amazing, epic, masterfully written series that taught a crapload about myths. It was as good as cartoons get.

Gargoyles
Tiny Toons
Ghostbusters
Amimaniacs
Darkling Duck
Ducktales
South Park
Spawn
Futurama
Drawn Together.

There's my top ten.

That'sAllFolks 06-05-11 02:10 PM

1. Batman TAS
2. Batman Beyond
3. Justice League
4. Superman TAS
5. Spiderman 67
6. Flintstones
7. Jetsons

There are many like Herculoids, Frankenstein Jr, Yogi Bear, Impossibles, Space Ghost -- even Looney Tunes -- that I used to like, but don't think really hold up. I like the idea of owning them and may be watching a few, but they are not something I watch frequently at all. The first 4 on my list I really did enjoy and watched from start to finish. The last 3 on my list I enjoy a lot, but am not obsessive in working my way through my sets. I really think it's more a fact I grew up collecting comics than anything that determines my favorite AS.

I have not really gotten into the Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park or King of the Hill. I have watched enough to like them OK, but have not really gotten obsessive enough to want them all. I feel though like I am missing something with the Simpsons since a friend of mine who has a sense of humor similar to mine is a big fan. Maybe someday.

HUG-H 06-05-11 11:51 PM

My list (not necessarily in order of greatness)

1) Warner Bros. shorts (Bugs Bunny rules, of course)
2) The Flintstones
3) Peanuts TV specials (Just the early stuff 1965-1972; After those years it was getting slower and less funny)
4) Family Guy (1999-2008; About 2009 it became less consistent)
5) South Park
6) Beavis and Butthead
7) The Simpsons (1990-1998; Didn't watch it as much later on)
8) The Beatles
9) Batman/Superman Hour (Filmation 1960's one)
10) Spider-Man (1960's one)

I wasn't a fan of King Of The Hill, but I did watch the episode that Alyson Hannigan was a guest voice on, and she was funny.
I also watched Ren and Stimpy, but it was good for a seemingly all-too-brief period of time when there was a serious changing of the guard and the show went downhill quickly.

Michael Corvin 06-06-11 07:14 AM

^Damn. How could I forget Peanuts. Definitely in my top 3.

nightwing82 06-06-11 10:13 AM

These still hold up for me today on DVD, thus are my top 10 er 8:

Batman The Animated Series
Tiny Toons
He-Man & She-Ra
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Anamaniacs
DuckTales
Doug
Sealab 2021

As a child I never enjoyed such things as Loony Toons, Flintstones, Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Simpsons, etc.

slop101 06-06-11 10:16 AM

1. Simpsons
2. Futurama
3. South Park
4. Venture Bros.
5. Archer
6. Animaniacs
7. Cowboy Bebop
8. Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.
9. The Tick
10. Batman animated series

*(Looney Tunes would actually be my #1 pick, but they were initially created for theatrical presentations, so they don't count as "shows")

Max Bottomtime 06-06-11 04:17 PM

South Park
Flintstones
Simpsons
Jetsons
George of the Jungle
Woody Woodpecker
Fractured Flickers
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Looney Tunes
Felix the Cat

tanman 06-07-11 01:10 AM

1. Batman TAS what a spectacular show. This show really trancended what an animated tv show could be. Still holds up today and just gets better with time. IMHO no list is valid without this at the top.
2. Pinky and the Brain just edges out animaniacs because it doesn't have some of the crap bits that it does.
3. Animaniacs incredibly funny show
4. Batman Beyond this show did so much for the batman universe. A very creative look into the future of the bat.
5. Justice League another from Mr. Timm
6. X-men Evolution a very underrated show and much better storytelling and animation then the 90's X-men
7. Superman TAS not the best of the universe but a very deserved place on the list.
8. Tale Spin the best Of the Disney Afternoon series. Had some real emotional weight to it in some episodes.
9. Rescue Rangers very nostalgic. One of my personal favs
10. Duck Tales MUCH better then Darkwing Duck. I always liked DD the least of the Disney Afternoon series. Just a little too silly.

Can't limit it to 10 :)
11. Exosquad this show is SO underrated and I'm disappointed but not surprised that it's not on the list. For those who haven't seen it it's on hulu. Just an incredible premise dealing with some real weighty issues especially for a Saturday morning cartoon.
12. Jackie Chan Adventures I bet this won't make many peoples lists. This was a hilarious show with creative plots. Takes a couple hits for animation quality.
13. Transformers G1awesome show but takes hits for replayBility and major consistency issues.
14. GI Joe basically same as transformers.
15. X-men cool show but takes hits for over dramatic acting and story. But awesome for tackling some really good stories
16. Spiderman one of my personal favorites.

Neitzl 06-07-11 12:49 PM

I loved Dungeons and Dragons. I hated that they never really gave the show an ending.

Charlie Goose 06-07-11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Neitzl (Post 10807326)
I loved Dungeons and Dragons. I hated that they never really gave the show an ending.

There's a script somewhere online for the intended final episode of D&D. A good read, but it would've been pretty sweet to see it though.

The Simpsons
South Park
Dungeons & Dragons
Family Guy
Tom & Jerry
Looney Tunes
Superfriends
Spider-Man (1967)
Woody Woodpecker
Scooby-Doo

This list is just off the top of my head, and in no particular order.

darkblue 06-08-11 06:41 PM

1. Beavis and Butt-Head
2. Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist
3. The Simpsons
4. Home Movies
5. South Park
6. Futurama
7. Family Guy
8. Kevin Spencer
9. King of the Hill
10. Peanuts

almost made the list - Undergrads
up and coming - Ugly Americans, Bob's Burgers
honorable mention - Bob and Margaret

fujishig 06-09-11 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 10806371)
1. Batman TAS what a spectacular show. This show really trancended what an animated tv show could be. Still holds up today and just gets better with time. IMHO no list is valid without this at the top.
2. Pinky and the Brain just edges out animaniacs because it doesn't have some of the crap bits that it does.
3. Animaniacs incredibly funny show
4. Batman Beyond this show did so much for the batman universe. A very creative look into the future of the bat.
5. Justice League another from Mr. Timm
6. X-men Evolution a very underrated show and much better storytelling and animation then the 90's X-men
7. Superman TAS not the best of the universe but a very deserved place on the list.
8. Tale Spin the best Of the Disney Afternoon series. Had some real emotional weight to it in some episodes.
9. Rescue Rangers very nostalgic. One of my personal favs
10. Duck Tales MUCH better then Darkwing Duck. I always liked DD the least of the Disney Afternoon series. Just a little too silly.

Can't limit it to 10 :)
11. Exosquad this show is SO underrated and I'm disappointed but not surprised that it's not on the list. For those who haven't seen it it's on hulu. Just an incredible premise dealing with some real weighty issues especially for a Saturday morning cartoon.
12. Jackie Chan Adventures I bet this won't make many peoples lists. This was a hilarious show with creative plots. Takes a couple hits for animation quality.
13. Transformers G1awesome show but takes hits for replayBility and major consistency issues.
14. GI Joe basically same as transformers.
15. X-men cool show but takes hits for over dramatic acting and story. But awesome for tackling some really good stories
16. Spiderman one of my personal favorites.

I'm not sure how you can have Exo-Squad but no Robotech or Star Blazers. Exo Squad was good, but IMHO paled in comparison to those two (and hey, the Exo Squad toyline even reused some of the macross toys).

I'm also surpised that Duck Tales is below both Tale Spin and Rescue Rangers... I recently bought a few box sets of each and am actually excited to go through them now. I think part of my love for Duck Tales is because of my love for the original Barks stories, sot aht may be something.

Zwerchfell 06-09-11 05:48 PM

Beavis & Butt-head
King of the Hill
Ren & Stimpy
The Simpsons
South Park
Looney Tunes/Tiny Toons
Pink Panther
The Flintstones

tanman 06-10-11 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10810697)
I'm not sure how you can have Exo-Squad but no Robotech or Star Blazers. Exo Squad was good, but IMHO paled in comparison to those two (and hey, the Exo Squad toyline even reused some of the macross toys).

I'm also surpised that Duck Tales is below both Tale Spin and Rescue Rangers... I recently bought a few box sets of each and am actually excited to go through them now. I think part of my love for Duck Tales is because of my love for the original Barks stories, sot aht may be something.

To explain Exosquad I never watched Robotech or Star Blazers. Were those shown on cable? So that would explain that. I always wanted to get into Robotech but access to media isn't what it is today.

I really enjoyed Duck Tales but I really thought that Tale Spin and Rescue Rangers were better although not by too much.

fiver 06-13-11 03:39 AM

1. Futurama
2. Home Movies
3. The Critic
4. Invader Zim
5. Urusei Yatsura
6. Hikaru no Go
7. The Tick
8. South Park
9. Daria
10. Azumanga Daioh

* I grew up in the 80s - watched shows like transformers, he-man, tom/jerry, peanuts, looney tunes, muppet babies, etc... - a lot of it just doesn't interest me today like the later shows on the above list.

** Main criteria for me is if I can rewatch the show multiple times.

fujishig 06-13-11 01:46 PM

Was Urusei Yatsura, Hikaru no Go, and Azumanga Daioh aired on tv in the US?

HUG-H 06-17-11 07:10 PM

I forgot that The Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show was actually pretty good. I watched that every week in the 80's!

cactusoly 06-17-11 07:25 PM

1) Batman TAS
2) The Simpsons
3) Spawn HBO Series
4) Jusice League / Unlimited
5) Superman TAS
6) Batman Beyond
7) Clone Wars 1st series
8) Clone Wars current
9) Family Guy
10) Young Justice