Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SYTYCD -- So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 8 -- The Auditions begin 05/26/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SYTYCD -- So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 8 -- The Auditions begin 05/26/11

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: SYTYCD -- So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 8 -- The Auditions begin 05/26/11

I'm really glad they listened to the viewer feedback and changed the stage again. They brought back the intimacy of the original stage, but still kept the lighting and effects they wanted with the previous stage. Looks like they really wanted to have a perfect season this year.
Old 06-11-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SYTYCD -- So You Think You Can Dance -- Season 8 -- The Auditions begin 05/26/11

You can watch the episodes four days after the air date at the Fox website:

http://www.fox.com/dance/

No commercials. They are only up for a limited time - three weeks? The three audition episodes are now available.
Old 06-12-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best top 20 to date, IMO.

Although I'm already really sick of that high-voiced Broadway kid. Hope he's the first to go.
Old 06-13-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked seeing performances with no one at risk of going home.

The overweight sister (I forgot her name) didn't deserve to be there. I think it's cool that overweight people still love dancing, but it's just not generally a vocation for overweight people. The thin sister is much better. Once again, they made the right decision.

I've had periods of weight gain in my life, but I've never lost fact of one simple fact -- when I gain weight, it's because I'm eating too much relative to how many calories my level of activity requires. If she's serious about being a professional dancer, why not take the bull by the horns and lose weight? It's not easy, but it is controllable. Just stop eating too much of the wrong foods. If you're not willing to do that, it's difficult to consider you committed to the profession.
Old 06-14-11, 12:12 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Finally caught up last night.

Strong Top 20, except for two: "The Wooooo guy" and "The Broadway guy."

They can go first!
Old 06-14-11, 03:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmmm...I kinda like the Broadway guy. Usually I hate that kind of smug person on television, but his dancing has an addictive quality to it that I like. Great episode with the top 20 dancing 'for fun.'
Old 06-15-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The broadway guy is the only one I don't care for. I guess my issue with him, besides how he talks, is that he isn't as good (in my opinion) as Evan from Season 5.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iY8aPKhlL24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And all of the episodes are now available for free, without commercials, at www.fox.com/dance
Old 06-15-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to clarify, there's a guy in that routine?
Old 06-16-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, so no one watches anymore? Seems like the discussions here are scarce. Last night was pretty good!

My favorite had to be Marko and Melanie (stone statues). Even though he stumbled slightly, the whole piece itself was pretty great to watch. Travis has become one hell of a choreographer (although I do feel he reuses the "head falling backwards into the hand" move way too much).

The "Woooo" guy is starting to get on my nerves. It's like he's straight out of an 80's movie.

Also thought Sasha was great in her routine....and Missy and Caitlynn are hot
Old 06-16-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, and I don't think Chris Scott's hip-hop routines are that great. They all just seem bland and cookie cutter. Like teener-bopper band moves.
Old 06-16-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was the frist episode this season I caught and it was only the last hour of the show and, of course, I really like the statue routine (I always come out of this show with new songs to listen to too) and the routine with the guy doing the flips and such towards the end. Sorry - don't remember names yet.

I can already tell that I am not going to like the 'older' gal. She seems a bitch...

The hip-hop team really didn't get much enthusiasm from the crowd, but from the recaps some of the earlier routines looked like frontrunners for going home before the hip-hop people.
Old 06-16-11, 10:14 AM

None of the routines last night really wowed me, but I did like Sasha, Wadi and Nick and Iveta. I also think Robert (the Woo guy) is irritating and Jess just annoys me for some reason. But I have to admit that both of their routines were entertaining.
Old 06-16-11, 11:04 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shilex
Oh, and I don't think Chris Scott's hip-hop routines are that great. They all just seem bland and cookie cutter. Like teener-bopper band moves.
Agree 100%. It seemed to me like he was too concentrated on the 'story' element and neglected to make the actual dancing interesting. There have been some fantastic story-focused hip hop routines on the show over the years, but I think lately they've been pushing too far in that direction at the expense of the dancing. Some of these hip hop routines are starting to feel like contemporary-lite with pedestrian hip hop steps tacked on.

They should look at getting some of the winning ABDC (America's Best Dance Crew) crews to come in as hip hop choreographers. When that show is at it's best, there's just an energy and excitement that you rarely see in SYTYCD's hip hop numbers.
Old 06-16-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personality wise, that Broadway guy is just plain annoying, but man, can he dance. He is just amazing. That piroutte to the ground and back up again was incredible and his jumps, turns and leaps flawless. I'm afraid his personality will put him in the bottom 3, which would be a shame, since he danced in his genre, but I think Nigel would save him anyway. I think the guy who hurt his elbow will be gone, since there is so much competition, and they all did well last night. I thought the jive and the old school hip hop were the weakest last night. THink the girl from the jive will be going home.

I loved the statue number last night, and the African dance number and Sasha and Roberts number.

I loved the ballroom number too, and the tap guy is easily becoming one of my fave guys along with the statue guy with the bullet in his arm.

I also like Ryan Rodriques, she dances with so much joy, but I hope that hip hop number didnt do her in.

Great Great season!!!
Old 06-16-11, 02:03 PM

I'm a Melanie fan, and Jordan, Missy, and Caitlyn also impress me. For the boys, I like Tadd, Marko, and Wadi. I don't like Iveta at all. I know she's a WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!! (Mary Murphy), but her dancing just doesn't have a whole lot of personality. Jess is super creepy. I don't see him lasting long.
Old 06-18-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KirstenS
... Jess is super creepy. I don't see him lasting long.
I agree - the judges will save him a couple of times but by the third time he's in the bottom three the judges will have to can him.

Iveta... great dancing but not a ton of personality. But the great thing for Nick, the tap dancer & Iveta's partner, is that Iveta is a ballroom dance studio owner / instructor, thus is used to teaching people. Great pairing as far as Nick is concerned.

And I missed the statue routine, I only saw four of the dances and the statue wasn't dance wasn't one of them. I'll catch the rest of the show when it shows up on www.fox.com/dance which should be on Sunday? (four days after the show airs) With regard to the judges not letting anybody go... lame, lame, lame. Do your job and get rid of Jess and the woo-woo guy already.
Old 06-19-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The way I look at it...

* A week with 10 performances (20 dancers), 2 let go, then a week with 9 performances (18 dancers), then 2 more let go.

* A week with 10 performances (20 dancers), none let go, then a week with 10 performances (20 dancers) and 4 let go.

All I see here is I get another performance next week, and since I watch the show for the performances, I'm good.
Old 06-19-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I actually think the woo-guy is a decent dancer--he has personality--but the woo-ing is WAY getting on my nerves. I want to can him just for that. Nigel tried to warn him last episode, but we'll see if it makes a difference.

My favorite by far is Melanie. I don't think a whole lot of the dancers are super-strong this season, but maybe my opinion will change as I see more dances. Traditionally, the judges all gush on the first week anyway, just to get people excited about the show. True colors will start coming out in the next few episodes.
Old 06-22-11, 11:35 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Tonight the part of Mitchell will be played by Chris "Ruby Rod" Tucker.
Old 06-23-11, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Tonight the part of Mitchell will be played by Chris "Ruby Rod" Tucker.
Super green!
Old 06-24-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ryan had a weak solo, but they went with the younger blonde, over Iveta, who is solid in ballroom, but got saddled with bollywood in week 2, and probably wouldn't crush hip hop like the other contemporary female dancers. I wanted the other girl, Missy, to stay, but I think Nigel has his eye on Ryan, who might just end up being a disappointment w/r/t the other females this season.

No problems with them keeping Ricky, his solo was solid. Too bad Nick could not go on, he might have had some potential as a showtainer type of dancer. Wadi was hitting his ceiling already with the latin number.
Old 06-24-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Debbie Reynolds must've been drunk. Kinda pointless to have her judging. I enjoyed the Kaitlyn and Mitchell routine the most (abusive chair one), but I'm a sucker for the contemporary routines. None of the other dances really blew me away and Mary Murphy crying every episode might start getting old.

I would've preferred Missy as well over Ryan. I feel Ryan is missing something. I thought Wadi had a lot more potential. Shame we won't get to see that.
Old 06-30-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not all that surprised as to which guy got sent home, but sad for the girl who got sent home, she deserved better. I'd rather have seen Ash and Chris go home.
Old 07-01-11, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Not all that surprised as to which guy got sent home, but sad for the girl who got sent home, she deserved better.
Likewise. Hers was the strongest of the three solos by far. I blame her shitty partner.
Old 07-07-11, 12:22 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Not much love for SYTYCD anymore I guess...

I think this show must have burned everyone out when they did the back to back summer/fall season because it seems like everything is just not as good as it used to be...

and NO, I don't think it's because Mia Michaels is gone. A little of her goes a long way! Same for Adam Shankman

Tonite's judges seemed to bring out an important point-on the one hand they had former standout contestant and current choreographer Travis Wall. His critiques were solid and you could tell the dancers perked up and actually took him seriously, then on the other hand they had Carmen Electra who brought nothing. She knows nothing about dancing other than the sexy ho stripper stuff that she is famous for. Why is she there? I suppose because she's a bigger name than Travis Wall who nobody knows unless they have seen previous episodes of the show.

This show needs to get back to the basics and rely less on the stupid stunt casting and gimmickry they have been reduced to. No more stupid dance offs with Ellen, no more guest judges that have nothing of value to bring. This show works best when we get to learn something about a style of dance that makes us appreciate the hard work the contestants are putting into their craft. If I wanted to see a bunch of people showboat in their 'genre' I'd go see Step Up 3. I want to see growth, I want to see where the dancers screwed up and watch them learn from their mistakes.

At least Travis, in his own goofball way, helped along those lines. I'd rather see him or other past winners come back to judge than someone who is there just because they have danced on stage once in their life!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.