TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HBO Go

Old 05-25-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: HBO Go

Originally Posted by CRM114
Yet there are the same 8 providers listed as there was three weeks ago. You'd think you'd at least see a handful of others added since then.

Comcast was on there..and it wasn't even working for most yet lol.
Old 05-25-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
AND with this application, I don't have to be in front of my TV unlike my options on DirecTV's DVR.
That's actually my problem. I can view HBO Go on either my laptop or my iPhone. What I want to do is view it on my 50" TV.

I can (and have) streamed it from my laptop to my TV over HDMI and that works. The problem is it's my work laptop. So first I need to boot up. That's really slow because my employer has encrypted our hard drives. Then I have to fool with the video settings to enable the second monitor. Then I have to fool with the sound card to output sound through the HDMI connection rather than the speakers. All told, that takes about 15-20 minutes I'd guess (though I've never timed it).

The iPhone app takes seconds. Turn on my phone, fire up the app. All done. The problem is that HBO Go doesn't support TV Out. I get sound on the TV, but the video plays on my phone. The TV just has a big HBO Go logo on the screen.

Hopefully they'll fix their app. If they did that, I could be up and playing content on my TV in under 1 minute vs. the 15-20 minutes going the laptop route. Netflix does it (and the quality appears to be on par with my PS3). I don't see why HBO can't. Or the Xfinity app for that matter. They do the same thing. Only send sound to the TV. Both apps access the same HBO content, neither will send video to the TV.
Old 05-25-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through the same headache with the iPad hdmi adapter. Every other app uses it properly but HBO doesn't see the need since you're, in theory, a paid subscriber to a TV service and at home. You should just turn on the tv and use On Demand. It's a bullshit assumption. I was all prepared to get my sex on Sunday night at this chick's house after a double-header of GoT. Instead I just had to settle for sex and a small screen
Old 05-26-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if they plan on making an app that will run directly on my Samsung TV. That would be great. The Netflix and Vudu apps work perfectly.
Old 05-26-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
I just went through the same headache with the iPad hdmi adapter. Every other app uses it properly but HBO doesn't see the need since you're, in theory, a paid subscriber to a TV service and at home. You should just turn on the tv and use On Demand. It's a bullshit assumption. I was all prepared to get my sex on Sunday night at this chick's house after a double-header of GoT. Instead I just had to settle for sex and a small screen
I have no On Demand ability. I use TivoHD with cable cards. I'd never use one of those shitty Motorola boxes they give out.

Has anyone tried HBO Go with an Apple TV? Can you push the video from an iPad right to the TV?
Old 05-26-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother told me that it doesn't support AirPlay.
Old 05-26-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's kind of cool that their showing Game of Thrones a week in advance.
Old 05-26-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd never use one of those shitty Motorola boxes they give out.
I'm new to Cable and have one of those. You are right, it is awful.
Old 05-26-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
That's actually my problem. I can view HBO Go on either my laptop or my iPhone. What I want to do is view it on my 50" TV.

I can (and have) streamed it from my laptop to my TV over HDMI and that works. The problem is it's my work laptop. So first I need to boot up. That's really slow because my employer has encrypted our hard drives. Then I have to fool with the video settings to enable the second monitor. Then I have to fool with the sound card to output sound through the HDMI connection rather than the speakers. All told, that takes about 15-20 minutes I'd guess (though I've never timed it).

The iPhone app takes seconds. Turn on my phone, fire up the app. All done. The problem is that HBO Go doesn't support TV Out. I get sound on the TV, but the video plays on my phone. The TV just has a big HBO Go logo on the screen.

Hopefully they'll fix their app. If they did that, I could be up and playing content on my TV in under 1 minute vs. the 15-20 minutes going the laptop route. Netflix does it (and the quality appears to be on par with my PS3). I don't see why HBO can't. Or the Xfinity app for that matter. They do the same thing. Only send sound to the TV. Both apps access the same HBO content, neither will send video to the TV.
To be fair, I don't think they picked the name "HBO Go" arbitrarily.
Old 05-26-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no On Demand ability. I use TivoHD with cable cards. I'd never use one of those shitty Motorola boxes they give out.

I'm doing the same thing. My Tivo should be here any minute now.
Old 05-26-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was googling yesterday and it seems there's no way to send the content to the TV using a standard IOS device. I didn't look into jailbroken devices, that may be the only option.
Old 05-27-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
But OnDemand doesn't have the same content. Just a few episodes of this show and a few of that one. I wish I could use OnDemand, but that's out.

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yeah, I was googling yesterday and it seems there's no way to send the content to the TV using a standard IOS device. I didn't look into jailbroken devices, that may be the only option.
There actually is an app for jailbroken devices that sounds like it would do the trick. But alas, I'm not jailbroken.
Old 06-26-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So I sign up for HBO Go and I keep getting this error message: "This Go ID is playing video on another computer or device. Please stop the previous video stream or try again later."

I've only tried logging in from my phone so far.. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
So I sign up for HBO Go and I keep getting this error message: "This Go ID is playing video on another computer or device. Please stop the previous video stream or try again later."

I've only tried logging in from my phone so far.. Any ideas?
Did you log on to your PC/Sign up through there originally? If you so, you need to log out before you can sign on through another PC/Device.
Old 06-26-11, 01:50 PM

Nope, but I did just log onto the website to see if it work from there and same issue. I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with directv to see if they could help and they couldn't figure it out either.

From doing a search online, I see I'm not the only who had issues with this happening before though.
Old 06-26-11, 02:01 PM

Now it seems to be working. Time to get caught up on Eastbound and Down
Old 06-26-11, 03:53 PM

Hbo go as an roku channel would be awesome.
Old 06-26-11, 04:45 PM

I dont know if it's just the Android version, but damn this app is buggy as shit! Whenever I try to watch the next episode of Eastbound and Down, it completely closes out of the video and signs me out.
Old 06-26-11, 05:56 PM

I don't understand this myself I have a lot of HBO channels for True Blood only through Comcast but I don't have xfinitiy? confused because I wanted to watch episode 2 of season 4 of true blood early since I won't be here to watch it!
Old 06-26-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TrueBloodgirly
I don't understand this myself I have a lot of HBO channels for True Blood only through Comcast but I don't have xfinitiy? confused because I wanted to watch episode 2 of season 4 of true blood early since I won't be here to watch it!
You should have Xfinity.
Old 06-26-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

If you subscribe to HBO, how will HBOGo recognize you as such?
Old 06-26-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I had to validate my account by logging in through my cable provider. Once I did that, I could use that account anywhere. (I brought my iPad on a trip to the other end of the country and was still able to use HBOGo there, even when connected to a completely different cable provider.)
Old 06-26-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
you go to the HBO go page..then click on your approrpiate cable provider.
Old 06-27-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone go to the late night section?
Old 06-27-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueBloodgirly
Comcast renamed their Cable, Internet and Phone to "Xfinity" for some idiotic reason. You just go to HBO Go, click Xfinity and log into Comcast using your account credentials. If you have HBO on the account you'll get access.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.