TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Event -- "Arrival" -- 5/23/11 [Series(?) Finale]

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: The Event -- "Arrival" -- 5/23/11 [Series(?) Finale]

Originally Posted by Patman
So the event was Apokalips coming to earth?
Old 05-24-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOL'd a lot during the finale. That says a lot I guess.
Old 05-24-11, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to be in the minority here but I really want this show to continue. It got MUCH better after it returned from the break and I liked where it was headed at the finale last night. IMO, this show was better than last year's Flash Forward by leaps and bounds. I'm hoping that it gets picked up elsewhere but I know it's going to take a miracle.
Old 05-24-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'm also disappointed the show is over.

I thought it was a pretty good finale. Obviously it sucks that this was written as a season finale and not series. I guess the producers of the show are still holding out hope that some network will pick this up for a 2nd season. Evan Katz did a pretty good job wrapping up most of the key plots from the season including the Virus outbreak and then the President betrayal plot. I've always liked Katz's work from 24 and I think the show was alot stronger as an action serial than a science fiction. Although I was disappointed we didn't see what happened to Jarvis after Martinez played the tape.

I listened to Simon's explanation for what "The Event" was and I'm not sure I really understood it. Again, as I just said, the show was a stronger action serial, not sci-fi.

That was a pretty cool ending scene though with the aliens planet coming into our atmosphere and all the earthquakes happening. Kind of weird timing too with all the doomsday shit from the weekend.

Oh well, not optimistic it will return, but it was for the most part a fun ride, especially in the 2nd half of the season.
Old 05-24-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to nitpick, but now that the entire planet has been teleported to the earth's sky, how exactly do the aliens get to the earth's surface? Does their planet get pulled all the way down so it's literally sitting on the the earth's surface and the aliens come running off of their planet onto ours? Weird use of a portal.
Old 05-24-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Wouldn't a larger "moon" wreak instant havoc on our world? Moreso than what was shown on the news outlets?

Oh well, it's over now.
That's what I thought too.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The Event = The Evolution of the Alien Species into the Next Stage of Life...

YAWN!

Basically what Babylon 5 already did.
Old 05-24-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neale
Not to nitpick, but now that the entire planet has been teleported to the earth's sky, how exactly do the aliens get to the earth's surface? Does their planet get pulled all the way down so it's literally sitting on the the earth's surface and the aliens come running off of their planet onto ours? Weird use of a portal.
Well, they are supposed to be light years ahead of us, tech wise, so they would probably hop in their space ships and kill the Hell outta us. Damn, the possibilities in a second season would be awesome.
Old 05-24-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Basically what Babylon 5 already did.
And they did it quite well. Personally I don't think the name of that great show should be drug down into the mud by bringing it up in relation to The Event.
Old 05-24-11, 08:57 PM

I'd like to see it continue, but, oh well.

The scientologists must like it.
Old 05-25-11, 12:07 AM

I'm guessing that part of the reason for cancellation were the projected production costs for the 2nd season.

Here's hoping for a 2 hour tv movie to wrap it. G-d knows they've green lit crappier and pricier tv movies than this.
Old 05-25-11, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Season 2 of the Event would have been a remake of "When Worlds Collide..."

The finale was good but the timing seemed to stretch my (dis)belief. I thought it weird that none of Sophia's plans would get started before a horde of SWAT appears ... It seemed like her people were minutes away from setting of the virus, not hours ...
Old 05-25-11, 02:15 PM
ATX

I never watched Babylon 5, can someone sum up what the previous comment meant?
Old 05-25-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ATX
I never watched Babylon 5, can someone sum up what the previous comment meant?
If you're referring to my comment, I was just saying that Babylon 5 is one of the greatest sci-fi series of all time. It's actually my personal favorite of any genre. And to compare it to The Event is just insulting.

If you're referring to the comment I was responding to, that's a very major season 4 spoiler of Babylon 5. In fact, it's one of the biggest spoilers of the entire series. You'd be far better off just watching the show. But if you really must know...

Seriously. Go buy the series. Watch it on Netflix instant watch. Do whatever you need to and skip this spoiler!!!

Spoiler:
Basically, the ancient races that came before the humans were supposed to guide and protect us and to help us to evolve. One race thought human evolution was best served by creating conflict. Weed out the weak and what remains will be stronger. The other side thought we were better off being coddled. And in season 4, the humans (and other non-human races who were our peers) basically told the ancient races "Thanks for all you've done for us, now get the fuck out and quit meddling with us. We're more than capable at this point of finding our own way." Thus we evolved to the "Third Age of Mankind" where we no longer need these ancient races to control our destiny. So in a sense, both Babylon 5 and The Event are about people evolving to the next stage.
Old 05-26-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

^
And don't forget...

Spoiler:
In "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" we saw one million years into the future, when humans evolved into beings like the Vorlons and were, themselves, guiding the younger races as the Vorlons had once done.
Old 05-26-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
^
And don't forget...

Spoiler:
In "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" we saw one million years into the future, when humans evolved into beings like the Vorlons and were, themselves, guiding the younger races as the Vorlons had once done.
That's more what I was thinking.

And don't be so sensitive MJEHarrison. My comment wasn't meant to insult that great show. Merely that the concept had been done already -- quite well obviously.
Old 05-27-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Well, that was a great big middle finger to just about everyone who could have been a fan of this show at some point.

They didn't even try to wrap things up, did they? FlashForward at least tried to edit something together and called it an ending, SGU was ambiguous but well done (they obviously saw the writing on the wall for a long time), the battle continues on V, and Caprica's season 2 preview worked as a coda to the whole thing.

This is not just a cliffhanger, but a total mess. Sophia completely abandons her ideals, Simon drops a bunch of nonsense about "The Event" that completely negates the need to "make room" for the aliens, and the presidents wife is (surprise!) really an alien. Whoop-di-freakin-do.
Old 05-27-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And don't be so sensitive MJEHarrison. My comment wasn't meant to insult that great show. Merely that the concept had been done already -- quite well obviously.
Sensitive?

I couldn't be offended if you tried! I just tend to post too much like Grouch.
Old 05-27-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, that was a great big middle finger to just about everyone who could have been a fan of this show at some point.

They didn't even try to wrap things up, did they? FlashForward at least tried to edit something together and called it an ending, SGU was ambiguous but well done (they obviously saw the writing on the wall for a long time), the battle continues on V, and Caprica's season 2 preview worked as a coda to the whole thing.

This is not just a cliffhanger, but a total mess. Sophia completely abandons her ideals, Simon drops a bunch of nonsense about "The Event" that completely negates the need to "make room" for the aliens, and the presidents wife is (surprise!) really an alien. Whoop-di-freakin-do.
The Producers of the show are still trying to get a 2nd season from another network.

Nick Wauters, the creator of the show, made post today on The Event's site about the show. He was vague about the show's future, but said they promised not to leave people hanging.

This is what Wauters said on Twitter 3 hrs ago:

We are still investigating ways to bring The Event back. Will let u know when there is a significant update (good or bad).
I'm not as optimistic as him, but I'm glad they are trying. However, they are going to lose all then actors to other projects very soon.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-27-11 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-28-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

the fact that they "explained" (not even showed) The Event in a minute was supremely lame.

Sure, they were hoping for a second season, but damn, at least give us The Event in the first season. The show couldn't even live up to its title.
Old 06-01-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Deadline is reporting that "The Event" may live on as a SyFy mini-series.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/nbcs...eries-on-syfy/
Old 06-01-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Deadline is reporting that "The Event" may live on as a SyFy mini-series.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/nbcs...eries-on-syfy/
That's an odd channel for a series about an alien invasion...
Old 06-01-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delete! Delete! Delete it from my memory!

I may end up watching that...
Old 06-01-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

If it moves to SyFy, expect huge budget cuts from cast members and special effects.

I hope it does happen.
Old 06-01-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
If it moves to SyFy, expect huge budget cuts from cast members and special effects.

I hope it does happen.
Maybe Sophia can be replaced with a sharktopus.
Old 06-01-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also expect it to also be cancelled in favor of non sci-fi stuff like wrestling. Can't have any of that nerdy stuff on 'Syfy'.

Doesn't make up for them cancelling Stargate Universe but it does give them some brownie points for at least allowing Event to have a conclusion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.