Old 05-22-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Breakout Kings -- "There are Rules" -- 5/22/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-20

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A shocking scene at a prison erupts when an 18-wheeler crashes into the prison wall and an armored car escapes from the back of the truck with several convicted felons hiding inside. The team is quick to begin the hunt for the fugitives and they learn the escapees are being led by Ronald Barnes, a Madoff-like man who is hated by all. They follow Barnes' trail and eventually realize that his plans of helping his fellow cons reach freedom along with him were all a ruse to distract the authorities from tracking down Barnes himself. Barnes will kill anyone who gets in his way and the Breakout Kings must outsmart him before it's too late.

Episode 12 of 13

I'm a week behind. It's been a busy week with all the pickup and cancellation news. Not surprised that last week's episode got 0 comments.

Promo:

http://www.aetv.com/breakout-kings/next-on/

No news yet on a possible renewal. I follow Nick Santora's Twitter page and he's still hopeful.
Old 05-22-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Breakout Kings -- "There are Rules" -- 5/22/11

I'd be surprised if they canned the show. I don't know about continuing ratings, but I assume this is one of the highest rated shows on A&E.
Old 05-22-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Last week's episode got 1.75M viewers and 0.7 in the demos. For a network that is not even known for producing scripted shows, IMO that's pretty good. Granted it's not USA and TNT good, but still.

Granted The Glades got almost 3M a week, but it premieres in June with alot less competition.
Old 05-22-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I totally forgot about last week's episode with all of the cancellation and pickup news, and a bunch of the season finales airing. Will have to catch up on last week's before I watch this week's. I'm definitely optimistic that this will get renewed though, I can't imagine A&E has a bunch of other higher-rated programs.
Old 05-22-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kstublen
Yeah, I totally forgot about last week's episode with all of the cancellation and pickup news, and a bunch of the season finales airing. Will have to catch up on last week's before I watch this week's. I'm definitely optimistic that this will get renewed though, I can't imagine A&E has a bunch of other higher-rated programs.
You just wait till Gene Simmon's Family Jewels starts the new season!

Then again every week I'm also looking for new episodes of Storage Wars.
Old 05-23-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched the last two episodes and thought they were both great. I love how they're focusing first and foremost on developing these characters and making us sympathize with them and appreciate their bond with one another. That's what stops this from becoming just another rote procedural.

As to last week's episode, it was nice to see them actually kill one of the escapees. I thought bringing back the guy from the first episode was sort of a waste though, but I appreciate it for continuity sake. I was sort of hoping he would escape and then they'd have to track him down.

I appreciated that Charlie owned up to his mistake about the watch as well. It would have been easy to just let one of the cons take the blame.

---

Anyway, as to last night's episode...

Jimi Simpson was firing on all cylinders. Lloyd as Charlie's boss was great and I loved how he danced around the transfer.

Lloyd laying there with his shirt off, taking to Charlie. And then Charlie seeing the underwear on the chair, and Lloyd's response: ""I sleep unencumbered Charles."

I understand why Shea was so mad, and I think for once he had a right to be, since he was in some real danger if anyone on the inside found out he was working with the Marshals. I get that they had to catch the guy, but someone could have at least called the prison and had him thrown in solitary or something.

I loved Charlie's speech at the end. It really showed a commitment to Ray and the whole team and you could tell everyone respected it. It was nice that he didn't even want to make a big deal out of it, but just went back to treating them like normal. The moment between Ray and Charlie at the end was great as well in its subtlety.
Old 05-23-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have preferred we didn't have the handshake moment because it effectively let on that they crew'd been listening. The tone would have been better to me if neither person acknowledged what happend, but Ray knew. Just carry on, just like Charlie did.

They couldn't throw Shea in solitary for the same reason they didn't get him out -- because they hadn't yet captured who they were after and weren't sure they had enough information to do so. Shea was their link to possibly more information.
Old 05-24-11, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show keeps getting better and better each week. I love how much the characters have grown since we first met them. I also like the added pressure of that Marshal suit guy who will be breathing down their necks if they get a second season. Even though it's a procedural, they keep the character arcs present in each episode. It gives the season a nice sense of progression as opposed to being a show that you can skip a bunch of episodes and not even notice that anything has changed. Even last week had a great callback to the pilot by having that greasy survivalist con return for a bit. I really hope this gets picked up.

Oh and that scene with Lloyd in the motel was hilarious.
Old 05-24-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that they had to catch the guy, but someone could have at least called the prison and had him thrown in solitary or something.
that would have defeated the whole purpose of putting him in there in the first place.

this show gets better and better. I was afraid they would run out of ideas and the show would get bornig, but they're def keeping it interesting.

I would like to see an episode where the escapee is escaping for a good reason (ei Michael Scofield from prison break) and see how the group handles him.
Old 05-24-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We already had that scenario. The guy who was in prison for molestation escaped and wasn't really guilty and they caught the dad, who had really molested his daughter, in the process.
Old 05-24-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Still liking this show a lot. Glad A&E has itself a good show. I hope it gets renewed because I'm really getting into this show.

Lloyd in the motel was great. Charlie at the end was good too. (I agree that it would have been better if Ray hadn't gone in and shook his hand. I think it would have been much better handled if he'd started to go in, but stopped short at the door and said thanks. Or if Charlie had gone in and shut the door behind him, signaling to drop it, if he even had a clue in the first place. I agree that the thanks was essentially ratting on themselves about listening.)