Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL 05/21/11 - H: Justin Timberlake - MG: Lady Gaga (Season Finale)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 05/21/11 - H: Justin Timberlake - MG: Lady Gaga (Season Finale)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: SNL 05/21/11 - H: Justin Timberlake - MG: Lady Gaga (Season Finale)

Not really, and the guest host usually isn't in every sketch either. Timberlake is the exception to all the SNL rules, and Gaga is huge right now so they used her as much as possible - though two of her sketches were heavily music oriented.
Old 05-23-11, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerory
Am I the only one who saw the Gaga nip slip on the liquorville skit?
Uhh where? Don't see it on my HD capture
Old 05-23-11, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Barry Gibb Talk Show and Get in the ring with Nic Cage were probably the only funny sketches on the show.

Timberlake is overrated and I never liked him when he was in NSync and his music sucks. He had some funny moments in the past but I wish they gotten a real movie star or somebody from Parks & Recreation if they want to save money on guest hosts.

The only way you could watch Born This Way by lady Gaga was to tuck your nut sack between your legs. One of those blonde dancers was probably a transgender and you could not tell if it was a boy or a girl.
Old 05-23-11, 04:38 AM
Suspended

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

Saturday night's show was funny, a rarity for SNL these days.

Relax, man.
Old 05-23-11, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Barry Gibb Talk Show and Get in the ring with Nic Cage were probably the only funny sketches on the show.

Timberlake is overrated and I never liked him when he was in NSync and his music sucks. He had some funny moments in the past but I wish they gotten a real movie star or somebody from Parks & Recreation if they want to save money on guest hosts.

The only way you could watch Born This Way by lady Gaga was to tuck your nut sack between your legs. One of those blonde dancers was probably a transgender and you could not tell if it was a boy or a girl.

A star from Parks and Recreation...............

When a guy from a boy band becomes popular with damn near everybody, I think it's time for you to give up.

Timberlake is really talented and most of us like him. Plus, he fucked that chick in the Social Network.
Old 05-23-11, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin was good but his material was weak. The Barry Gibb Talk Show is already long in the tooth. I loved it when it first came out but you can't bring it back every 2 years and expect it to be funny and fresh. The Liquorville sketch was just OK too. The songs lacked any imagination. Three-way was better than Dick-in-a-box and Motherlover? No way!

Gaga as a performer is excellent. She is clearly not an actor. At least, she doesn't have comedic timing.

I caught the show on Hulu and the Gaga performances and Liquorville sketch on youtube. So I don't know if this one on Mozart appeared on the broadcast. This was funnier than the other sketches:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/rOx01efDmQYkR7SA0MaQtw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/rOx01efDmQYkR7SA0MaQtw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 05-23-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mozart didn't make it, a lot of the time the dress rehearsal material is funnier than what makes it to air.

I enjoyed the show, though a few parts could have been better (the Nic Cage bit was a missed opportunity - great imitation, weak material), Timberlake was a great host as per usual and it was more consistently funny than normal, that said can we please get rid of Secret Word? The opening monologue song was great, liquorville, what's that name, robot carnival, and the digital short were all funny.

Skipped Gaga's performances (tried to be open minded with her stuff but really it just grates on my nerves).

At this point it's pretty obvious SNL owes Timberlake (many of their more memorable bits in the last few years have had his involvement) and he definitely pulls a crowd because of it (as the ratings showed).

Last edited by RichC2; 05-23-11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That Mozart skit was hilarious, especially the bit on the Golden Globes and Bieber. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 05-23-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Justin was good but his material was weak. The Barry Gibb Talk Show is already long in the tooth. I loved it when it first came out but you can't bring it back every 2 years and expect it to be funny and fresh. The Liquorville sketch was just OK too. The songs lacked any imagination. Three-way was better than Dick-in-a-box and Motherlover? No way!

Gaga as a performer is excellent. She is clearly not an actor. At least, she doesn't have comedic timing.

I caught the show on Hulu and the Gaga performances and Liquorville sketch on youtube. So I don't know if this one on Mozart appeared on the broadcast. This was funnier than the other sketches:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/rOx01efDmQYkR7SA0MaQtw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/rOx01efDmQYkR7SA0MaQtw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
When was this filmed? It appears to be recorded in front of a live audience... so how does it not make the air?
Old 05-23-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They hold a dress rehearsal at 8p in front a live audience and the live show at 1130p. They use the dress to find out which skits work and which don't. Those that do 'work', relatively speaking, make the live show. Those that don't often make it to Hulu, etc.
Old 05-23-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They do a live rehearsal before the live taping, you can get tickets to either. Many have stated the live rehearsals tend to be a little edgier and have a few very funny cut skits in them.
Old 05-23-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They run through many sketches in front of live rehearsal audiences, and judging by audience reaction, and time constraints, some sketches make the live show, and others don't.
Old 05-23-11, 09:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What happens is they have the dress rehearsal before the live show. It also has a live audience. Between the two, some sketches are cut (either for time or content).
Old 05-23-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some dude who friended me on facebook basically has his life revolve on whether or not he makes it to either the rehearsal audience or the live audience. I guess the lines for the SNL shows are long, and require some planning/waiting/scheduling.
Old 05-23-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
They hold a dress rehearsal at 8p in front a live audience and the live show at 1130p. They use the dress to find out which skits work and which don't. Those that do 'work', relatively speaking, make the live show. Those that don't often make it to Hulu, etc.
Originally Posted by RichC2
They do a live rehearsal before the live taping, you can get tickets to either. Many have stated the live rehearsals tend to be a little edgier and have a few very funny cut skits in them.
Originally Posted by Patman
They run through many sketches in front of live rehearsal audiences, and judging by audience reaction, and time constraints, some sketches make the live show, and others don't.
Originally Posted by Groucho
What happens is they have the dress rehearsal before the live show. It also has a live audience. Between the two, some sketches are cut (either for time or content).
I'm not sure I follow.
Old 05-23-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They do a practice run of the show before a live audience.

Shit gets edited and cut and shit.

Hulu.

You follow?
Old 05-23-11, 10:39 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Loren: "Hey guys, let's practice all of our sketches before a live studio audience. Let's see which ones work and which ones don't."

Cast: "What about the ones that get cut that are still funny?"

Hulu: "I'll take them and put them on my website for all the world to enjoy!"

Loren & Cast: "Thanks Hulu!"
Old 05-23-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
They do a practice run of the show before a live audience.

Shit gets edited and cut and shit.

Hulu.

You follow?
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Loren: "Hey guys, let's practice all of our sketches before a live studio audience. Let's see which ones work and which ones don't."

Cast: "What about the ones that get cut that are still funny?"

Hulu: "I'll take them and put them on my website for all the world to enjoy!"

Loren & Cast: "Thanks Hulu!"
You lost me.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-23-11 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only SNL I watch these days is when Timberlake is on. I think he definitely delivered again, even if they went to the well on all of his tried and true skits again (Barry Gib can die now, though). What I would have loved to see is Timberlake interact with Steffon somehow.

Also props to Gaga being good in her spots. She usually does nothing for me, but I thought she was the hottest I've ever seen her during the digital short. I guess I like it when girls look like they're carrying 3 different STDs (that "around the way girl" look works for her).

ETA: I'm not really a fan of the Nic Cage impersonation. I think he slips into a bit of Keanu.

Last edited by boredsilly; 05-23-11 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm already looking forward to the "Five-Timers Club" bit they do doing JT's next monologue. Martin, Goodman, Hanks, Baldwin, Simon. Gonna be great.
Old 05-23-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by boredsilly
ETA: I'm not really a fan of the Nic Cage impersonation. I think he slips into a bit of Keanu.
Yeah, I thought it was Keanu at first.
Old 05-23-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangerory
Am I the only one who saw the Gaga nip slip on the liquorville skit?
you arent the only one.... darkness on the right tit
Old 05-23-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, I thought it was Keanu at first.
I'll third that. I actually said out loud, 'why does Nic Cage sound and kinda look like Keanu Reeves
Old 05-23-11, 02:34 PM

AB and SM here is the guy to watch out for.

JT, 10 years ago I would have said ... wait, who?

Now. JT you´re welcome. Very much so.
Old 05-23-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.