Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Five-O -- Season Finale -- "Oia'i'o" -- 5/16/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the 1st season of Hawaii Five-O?
Thought it was great. Fun show. Better than most cop shows
51.22%
It was good, not great. The writing could use work. Still a fun show.
39.02%
Meh. It was watchable, but I have alot of problems with it.
7.32%
Thought it was terrible. Will not return for season 2
2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-05-02

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When Five-0 gets too close to the truth about Wo Fat and his associates, the criminal mastermind retaliates by trying to destroy the team. They've always played by their own rules, but when the Governor can no longer protect them, it's time for Five-0 to pay the consequences of their actions, on the first season finale of HAWAII FIVE-0

Episode 24 of 24

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mZ5lonZruV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CBS is expected to officially renew this for season 2 on Wednesday.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-16-11 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Hawaii Five-O -- Season Finale -- "Oia'i'o" -- 5/16/11

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/exclus...eries-regular/

Masi Oka (Dr. Max Bergman) will return next season as a series regular.
Old 05-16-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

That's good since he cracked about 1/2 their cases.
Old 05-16-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 151 Posts

I voted for the second option because this is the last show on my DVR sched that I watch.

It's a good show, that I will watch for many seasons to come, but if I have something better to watch or do, this'll hit the back burner.

Old 05-17-11, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Wow.. wtf?! Chin stands up for his Uncle but let's Kono hang for something else? And he never seems shaken by the death of Kelly Hu? Nice way to get rid of 2 guest stars.
Old 05-17-11, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eh.. really liked the first 1/2 of the season.. the later half just felt like this big huge grind over the one "big" season arc case.. Look I know cop shows tend to always have an over all larger case but IMO you go away from it, then you come back to it..

Hawaii Five-O just sort of hammered away at "the big case" and maybe I'm just jaded after years worth of cops show but hours spend on "Who stole the money...." and "Who set up..." got a little dull.

Maybe for no other reason they they SAID some version of "Who stole the money..." and "Who set up.." 20+ @#$%#@ times every single ep.. Well ok maybe not but it felt like it to me..

I still watched the whole season of course, making me sort of a tv whore I guess...
Old 05-17-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow, that was a crazy hour.

at killing off Kelly Hu at the beginning. Way to go Peter Lenkov (H50's showrunner)

I did not expect that twist at all that the Governor was working with Wo Fat. I love that they are keeping this arc going into next season.

at bringing back that old lady who saw Kono dressed as a utility person earlier this season. That was such a small and forgettable detail. Didn't think it would eventually bite Kono in the ass for the finale.

Obviously there is no way Danno is moving back to Jersey. I wonder how they are going to explain next season having him work in Hawaii with his pregnant wife and daughter living out of State.

Like I said, crazy, but fun hour of TV. H50 was a very fun and a little bumpy 24 episode ride this season. Going to miss seeing this in HD on my TV every Monday for the next 4+ months.
Old 05-17-11, 04:50 AM
Banned

Man, that was CRAZY!

Wo Fat, you diabolical bastard.

Originally Posted by DeadLamb View Post
Look I know cop shows tend to always have an over all larger case but IMO you go away from it, then you come back to it..
WTF? Are you one of those old people that want all TV shows to be one-off procedurals? What kind of argument are you even making here? Go watch CSI. There are 20 versions of that show that cater to people like you already.
Old 05-17-11, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Crazy indeed.

Wo Fat is the big bad, but I think for the entire season he's had a total of about 10 minutes or less or screen time, right? Do you think that enhances his sinister-ness?
Old 05-17-11, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Crazy indeed.

Wo Fat is the big bad, but I think for the entire season he's had a total of about 10 minutes or less or screen time, right? Do you think that enhances his sinister-ness?
I think it does. He's probably had less than 2 pages of dialogue too. That kind of adds to his sinister value. Like I said before, I hope he sticks around as the recurring villain for awhile.

Instead of promoting dorky Dr. Berman to series regular, I would have rather hired the CIA girl. She's been around for a few episodes now and I think she's worked well with the 5O team.
Old 05-17-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo View Post
WTF? Are you one of those old people that want all TV shows to be one-off procedurals? What kind of argument are you even making here?
lol. your argument sort of craps out when your example of a show with out longer running story lines is CSI, a show that runs huge arcs all over the place..

my point is if you are going to have a long running story arc then put some effort into that arc. After all, most shows DO have a long running story lines, you almost have to if you want bigger sweeps and "final" eps to pull in bigger numbers.

Like I'm sure The Mentalist will get a boost if they ever have a "this is red john" ep to promote.

errr but Hawaii Five-O had "My dad was investigating.." and "Know you took the money..." arc and the writers covered that arc by having characters interact by pretty much JUST saying "Did you have anything to do with my mother's death?" over and over and over and over.. "Need to return the money" 100+ times or at least it felt like that.

boring.. as I said, put some effort it.. IMO the bigger story arcs this season are by far the weakest part of the show.. Sure, they kicked it up a ton for the first ep and they tried to throw some BS fake twist at the end (being the stars of the show are not going to be locked down all next season) but other then that it was been there done that every ep.

The Shield use to have multiple story lines running for every character and they keep all those larger story lines really interest every season, for years. Five-0 could barely keep two going for one season.
Old 05-17-11, 06:46 AM
Banned

The Shield use to have multiple story lines running for every character and they keep all those larger story lines really interest every season, for years. Five-0 could barely keep two going for one season.
Why would you even compare 5-0 to The Shield? No one here expects anything like that from this show.
Old 05-17-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

my point is if you are going to have a long running story arc then put some effort into that arc. After all, most shows DO have a long running story lines, you almost have to if you want bigger sweeps and "final" eps to pull in bigger numbers.

Like I'm sure The Mentalist will get a boost if they ever have a "this is red john" ep to promote.

errr but Hawaii Five-O had "My dad was investigating.." and "Know you took the money..." arc and the writers covered that arc by having characters interact by pretty much JUST saying "Did you have anything to do with my mother's death?" over and over and over and over.. "Need to return the money" 100+ times or at least it felt like that.

boring.. as I said, put some effort it.. IMO the bigger story arcs this season are by far the weakest part of the show.. Sure, they kicked it up a ton for the first ep and they tried to throw some BS fake twist at the end (being the stars of the show are not going to be locked down all next season) but other then that it was been there done that every ep.
I don't understand what your trying to say here. Maybe it's just how you phrased it with broken sentences.

There were 4 arcs this season:

1) Steve trying to stop Victor Hesse, who killed his father
2) Chin and the stolen money
3) Wo Fat
4) The mystery surrounding the death of Steve's Mother

and to a smaller extent Danno and his family

Pretty much all CBS procedurals have multiple running arcs.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-17-11 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-17-11, 02:43 PM

I think he is saying that the show's weekly stories, characters, location and sense of fun are it's strong points, and that it's longer arc's are gloomy and not enjoyable or well handled. Or I'm projecting my opinion. Or both.
Old 05-18-11, 04:04 AM

McGarrett has no GSR on his clothing and taser marks on his neck. That's how he'll get off next season.
Old 05-18-11, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 605 Likes on 426 Posts

That was fun. I didn't like the cliffhanger. It didn't even feel like a cliffhanger, it just felt like they hit the hour mark and just cut to credits.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
at bringing back that old lady who saw Kono dressed as a utility person earlier this season. That was such a small and forgettable detail. Didn't think it would eventually bite Kono in the ass for the finale.
I thought they made it very clear during that episode that the old lady would be their downfall. It was just so long ago that I, and I'm sure everyone else, forgot all about it.

Originally Posted by outlander78 View Post
I think he is saying that the show's weekly stories, characters, location and sense of fun are it's strong points, and that it's longer arc's are gloomy and not enjoyable or well handled.
Agree with the bolded part.
Old 05-18-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

If I've learned anything, it's pretty easy to break into the Guv's mansion.

And you'd think Danno could have had told his ex he'd be back in a couple days. Or phone her at the airport instead of letting her stand there like a schlub.

At least we finally got to see McGarrett's ride.

Interesting cliffhanger but it's not like we don't know that they both will be exonerated somehow.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-18-11 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-18-11, 10:27 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked how they balanced each episode with the season long arc. It reminded me of the early days of NCIS in that regard. Each episode (with the exception of the season finale) could be enjoyed as a standalone episode as well as contributing to the overall arc. The cast chemistry is what makes this show tick.
Old 05-18-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
If I've learned anything, it's pretty easy to break into the Guv's mansion.

And you'd think Danno could have had told his ex he'd be back in a couple days. Or phone her at the airport instead of letting her stand there like a schlub.

At least we finally got to see McGarrett's ride.

Interesting cliffhanger but it's not like we don't know that they both will be exonerated somehow.

My answer to the poll question would be....

"It's somewhat entertaining. Like CSI Miami -- in an unintentionally comedic way. And it's pretty to look at in HD."
Old 05-18-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

I didn't know that this had been renewed yet but after this episode I think I got my answer.

Enjoyed the season for the most part, hope it gets better next year.
Old 05-18-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 605 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yeah, that was pretty weak. Speaking of, who the fuck moves to Jersey from Hawaii?

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I didn't know that this had been renewed yet but after this episode I think I got my answer.
It's basically the only clear hit show from the 2010-2011 season. I don't think there was any doubt about a season 2.
Old 05-18-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yeah, that was pretty weak. Speaking of, who the fuck moves to Jersey from Hawaii?

It's basically the only clear hit show from the 2010-2011 season. I don't think there was any doubt about a season 2.
Plus, after CBS signed the syndication deal with TNT, that pretty much guaranteed this show will be on a very long time.

CBS is making over $2M an episode from TNT starting in 2014. The show is going to make a shit load of money for however long it lasts. It's also awesome for the Hawaiian economy and tourism.
Old 05-19-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where's the poll option for "It's pretty good but it needs more scenes with Kono in a bikini?"
Old 05-20-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Instead of promoting dorky Dr. Berman to series regular, I would have rather hired the CIA girl. She's been around for a few episodes now and I think she's worked well with the 5O team.
Ugh, I feel the exact opposite. I can't stand her and was hoping she'd meet her demise this episode! She's annoying, always has an answer for everything, seems to have all these "contacts" in other gov't branches, the black market, etc.

Back to the show, I love it! It's just a good fun ride.
Old 05-22-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

whoa. Finale was awesome. After this episode, I'm officially convinced this is my new 24! With Human Target sucking and Chicago Code gone, I'm glad I have something to look forward to next season!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.