TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CBS cancels The Defenders, Bleep my Dad, Mad Love -- Other Pickups/Renewal News

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
CBS cancels The Defenders, Bleep my Dad, Mad Love -- Other Pickups/Renewal News

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/cbs-...ders-mad-love/

The Defenders, Shit my Dad Says and Mad Love got the axe today.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/cbs-...lot-picked-up/

Persons of Interest (produced by JJ Abrams) and starring Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson from Lost got picked up.

Two Broke Girls with Kat Dennings got picked up.

Hawaii Five-O has been renewed unoffically. It will be official on Wednesday.

Blue Bloods is also expected to return.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-15-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: CBS cancels The Defenders, Bleep my Dad, Mad Love -- Other Pickups/Renewal News

bullshit that the defenders was bounced. good show that got halfway decent ratings, especially for a friday show.
Old 05-15-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: CBS cancels The Defenders, Bleep my Dad, Mad Love -- Other Pickups/Renewal News

They essentially cancelled it for the Criminal Minds spinoff (which took over it's Fall timeslot), and was never needed in the 1st place. I'm going to be laughing when the Criminal Minds spinoff gets cancelled this Wednesday since the numbers have dropped big time.

I liked the show and the tone. It brought a different spin on a tired genre.

I'm happy that H50 is coming back (unofficially). Not the best written action show this TV season (that goes to Nikita), but solid cheesy fun.
Old 05-15-11, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

H5O just got huge syndication pickup. It'll be renewed for years to come. Essentially "free" for CBS
Old 05-15-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
H5O just got huge syndication pickup. It'll be renewed for years to come. Essentially "free" for CBS
Once they signed that huge cable deal with TNT, the show was essentially renewed already. TNT is paying CBS over $2M an episode for repeats.
Old 05-15-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda liked Shit my Dad Says. Sucks we'll never find out who was the "lost" son.
Old 05-15-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Persons of Interest (produced by JJ Abrams) and starring Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson from Lost got picked up.
So much for being rejected by your own industry.
Old 05-15-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Assholes. Yeah, lets cancel a show that wins its timeslots. Fuck the networks. I'm done with their new offerings. It's mostly crap anyhow.
Old 05-15-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

best news there is that Blue Bloods has graduated to a "lock" to be renewed. great news.
Old 05-15-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
So much for being rejected by your own industry.

I was thinking the same thing. Could it be that he just isn't that great an actor to be getting leading man movie material? Yup. He might as well get in line because staying relevant in Hollywood films is few and far between.
Old 05-15-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

^^ Are you talking about Caviezel? What's the deal with him?
Old 05-15-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Are you talking about Caviezel? What's the deal with him?
He claims that playing Jesus in The Passion has hurt his career.

I don't get the cancellation of The Defenders. It was doing pretty good in the graveyard that is Friday night. I think it would have done well in syndication, too.
Old 05-15-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Tyler Labine is a plague... I love him as an actor, but every show he gets on gets the axe. Him and Jo Ann Garcia together would probally lead to a network going out of bussiness.
Old 05-15-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda liked Mad Love. Mostly on the strength of Sarah chalke. Oh well.
Old 05-15-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
He claims that playing Jesus in The Passion has hurt his career.
Well, the author of some article claimed that, then inserted a few vague quotes of Cavaziel's that sound like he might have said something along those lines. I'm still waiting to see an outright quote from him claiming that. Until that happens, it's more what somebody else thinks he said.
Old 05-15-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Tyler Labine is a plague... I love him as an actor, but every show he gets on gets the axe. Him and Jo Ann Garcia together would probally lead to a network going out of bussiness.
I posted a few threads for Mad Love. I watched 3-4 episodes and thought it was alright. There were a few people here who absolutely hated the show and called him an "annoying piece of shit fat fuck" IIRC.

But seriously, most here thought it was a poor mans How I Met Your Mother.
Old 05-15-11, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks for Mad Love. I was enjoying that show. Has Tyler Labine been in one successful tv show?!
Old 05-15-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad about Defenders. Not a favorite, but a decent show and Belushi's best work in years.

I posted a few threads for Mad Love. I watched 3-4 episodes and thought it was alright. There were a few people here who absolutely hated the show and called him an "annoying piece of shit fat fuck" IIRC.

I don't care enough to get that upset, but I really don't get why he keeps landing gigs. He's not especially funny or charismatic.

EDIT: I took a look at his IMDB page to see if he was Ari Emmanuel's son or something and the latest post on his IMDB msg board was "How does this guy keep getting work?".

Last edited by wmansir; 05-15-11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I think Hawaii 5-0 was the only shoe in for renewal this year. Seems like it was the only breakout hit.

I watched the first two episodes and that's exactly what it was. Not only a poor man's HIMYM, but an extremely unfunny one at that.

I think Labine was great on Reaper. He had great chemistry with his buddy on there.
Old 05-15-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
I kinda liked Mad Love. Mostly on the strength of Sarah chalke. Oh well.
i actually added it to the dvr a few weeks ago and thought it was okay...but have to admit the fat guy was pretty damned annoying. I like Biggs and the chicks though. i bet with a less annoying 2nd male lead it would have done better.
Old 05-15-11, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the cancellation of The Defenders CBS is dead to me.
Old 05-15-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ge-2/#comments

Hawaii Five-O, Blue Bloods renewed. Will be made official on Wednesday. Mike & Molly also renewed.

Still up in the air:
CSI **
CSI Miami
CSI NY
The Mentalist **
The Good Wife
NCIS LA **
Criminal Minds **
Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior
Rules of Engagment

**These are essentially locked to come back. I would be shocked if The Good Wife doesn't come back. The folks at Tvbythenumbers.com rip it's ratings every week saying it's not good enough.
Old 05-15-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dan30oly
With the cancellation of The Defenders CBS is dead to me.
So The Defenders was that one special drama that really hit home with you and your family? and now your devastated?

That's cool that you liked the show, but this happens all the time. 4 years ago, Close to Home was on CBS and aired Friday nights and was the highest rated show that night. But, CBS canned it because it was too expensive to produce. I was dumbfounded by that, but accepted it and moved on. Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs was CBS's highest rated shows on Friday for years and still were last season, but they were also canned because of money. That might be part of the reason for this show as well. We don't know how TV suits think and how they rationalize why a show should stay and others shouldn't. Realistically, a year from now noone is going to remember The Defenders. Same goes with Mad Love or Shit my Dad says or anything else the networks can unless it lasts 5 or more seasons. I don't get why some people say they will boycott a network just because of 1 show. There will be 100 more shows coming in and probably a few law shows like this which will probably last alot longer.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-15-11 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-15-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wasn't Shit doing well in the ratings? Or did the suits just say 'oh i guess it is pretty stupid to make a show about a twitter feed'
Old 05-15-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
wasn't Shit doing well in the ratings? Or did the suits just say 'oh i guess it is pretty stupid to make a show about a twitter feed'
It was averaging about 10M viewers, but the demos were low. I think they just realized the whole idea for the show was stupid. Plus, the show is produced by WB, not CBS and if it isn't getting crazy ratings, they license fee isn't worth it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.