TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Old 05-13-11, 09:22 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,141
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

They did exactly what I was expecting:
Spoiler:
Back of the cape, then tiny digital double for the final sequence. I waited ten years to see a full view of Tom Welling in that suit and I feel cheated, dammit. Screw WB and their film division! But honestly, they were so cheap to recycle the ugly Superman Returns suit. I guess we're lucky to have even gotten an "open shirt" shot of the logo at the end -- which it appears they did create for Tom, as the shield looked bigger and the "S" was actually red. Hated the cheap deus ex machina with Lex getting swiped with memory-erasing blood. Then Clark banishes Darkseid with a punch, which turns him into a bunch of smoke birds?

REALLY hated seeing Aaron Ashmore back as Jimmy 2.0. It's stupid enough that there would be two brothers who went by same name. Now the younger brother grows up to look EXACTLY like the deceased Jimmy. Weak sauce, man. And why would Lois and Clark wait so long (years, apparently -- going by Chloe's son) to finish their wedding? I've loved this show and hated it, sometimes concurrently -- but I suppose this finale could have been much worse. Warts and all, I will miss watching it every week. So glad Chloe made it to the end. She was always my favorite character. Loved the "See you in the funny papers" line. I'm guessing that if DC hadn't shown an interest in using the character, Chloe might have been killed off the show a long time ago.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-13-11 at 10:49 PM.
joe_b is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 09:24 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,998
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

You always knew that Lex was going to
Spoiler:
get a total mindwipe
, but I like the way in which it was done. Specifically the redemption of the character who did the deed!
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 09:30 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

I think it would have worked better had Lx0 been brought to life with no memory of who/what he was. Sure, it still doesn't answer why Darkseid would even bring him to life (I'm sure there were scores of other willing hosts more suitable than old Lionel), how Lex would manage not to immediately find the old Veritas journals, especially with the immediate looming question of "who's this dead chick in my office?"

BTW, what happened to Emile? All that development between him and Tess and he just vanishes.
RocShemp is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 09:32 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
 
yourlocalcinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 420
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

I may be alone in this, but while I agree with most of joe_b's complaints, nothing bothered me nearly as much as the weird bookend device with Chloe and the comic book. WTF? Minus that, I was actually pretty happy with the last 30 minutes, and the rest was the same blend of good & bad that's typical for the series, which was fitting.
yourlocalcinema is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:04 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,899
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
They did exactly what I was expecting:
Spoiler:
But honestly, they were so cheap to recycle the ugly Superman Returns suit. I guess we're lucky to have even gotten an "open shirt" shot of the logo at the end -- which it appears they did create for Tom, as the shield looked bigger and the "S" was actually red.
Smallville was given the choice of using the Christopher Reeve costume or the ugly Superman Returns suit, the show went with a redesigned Superman Returns costume. That was a very questionable choice. At least they made the S symbol a little better.
Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema View Post
I may be alone in this, but while I agree with most of joe_b's complaints, nothing bothered me nearly as much as the weird bookend device with Chloe and the comic book. WTF? Minus that, I was actually pretty happy with the last 30 minutes, and the rest was the same blend of good & bad that's typical for the series, which was fitting.
The bookends did not do much for me either, I was scared at the closing one they were going to reveal the entire show
Spoiler:
had been a comic book written by Chloe. I guess it was the show's way of telling us Chloe survived and was still married to the Green Arrow. Remember all those statements over the years from various characters from the future, about how there were absolutely no records of Chloe?
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:08 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 3,197
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

I was happy with it


Spoiler:
I don't remember exactly what Tess's issue was, was her blood neurotoxin?
anomynous is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:12 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,899
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I was happy with it


Spoiler:
I don't remember exactly what Tess's issue was, was her blood neurotoxin?
Spoiler:
Some nonsense that the neurotoxin was designed by LexCorp to remove memories or something, which wiped Lex of his knowledge of Superman's true identity.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:13 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,141
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
One sticking point of the show I never had a good answer for was Chloe. There was a point when she was developing powers that Braniac tried to attack her and backed off only to say, "What are you?!" Next I believe she used some powers to heal Lois when she was stuck in the damn (I think during the Bizzaro incident). However, I don't recall what ever came of her ability or how it was explained.
That omission bothers me as well. Her "healing tears" kept bringing her to the brink of death. She used those twice, as I recall. I assumed she would use them one last time to save someone important, thereby sacrificing herself and not being able to resuscitate. They completely dropped that after Al and Miles walked from the show. I'm certain that killing Jimmy and ditching Kara was also never on the cards until the new show runners were brought in.

Another omission I always found glaring: Dr. Virgil Swann having a link to the Kawatche caves. Remember, the octagonal key was seemingly sucked into the wall as Lionel and Jonathan were fighting for it in season 3. Then we cut to Virgil, who has the key in a box and is looking on with an unreadable expression. After Christopher Reeve's death, they just had Clark receive the key in envelope with a note from Dr. Swann. There was never an explanation of how he intercepted it. It made me think the doctor originally had more involvement in manipulating Clark to achieve his "destiny". I always assumed that the Jor-El from the caves was not the genuine article. Remember how he was always "These people are weak, my son -- you must rule them." in those early seasons? It made me think that perhaps Dr. Swann was being set up as a villain, posing as Jor-El in order to get Clark to obey his commands -- or at least testing him to make sure his character was strong enough that he wouldn't use his powers as a threat to earth. I hate that they never addressed that plot point.
joe_b is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:22 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

I watched the finale, after bailing on the show 4 or 5 seasons ago. I did peek in from time to time, but only for the occasional ep. So saying that I thought the finale was awful isn't really fair, as I'm not invested in these current stories. However, there was a time when I was invested in these characters, and outside of seeing Lex again, everything felt very flat.

One thing I did find weird is the show's need to set things in motion for the future. This show is so much it's own thing, I didn't see any reason to have Lex be mind wiped, or to reintroduce a new Jimmy Olsen. Since Smallville is essentially dead, only to live on in books and comics, that felt unnecessary. Even though I haven't liked the show in a long time, I was always cool with it going it's own way.
boredsilly is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:30 PM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
yourlocalcinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 420
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
One thing I did find weird is the show's need to set things in motion for the future. This show is so much it's own thing, I didn't see any reason to have Lex be mind wiped, or to reintroduce a new Jimmy Olsen. Since Smallville is essentially dead, only to live on in books and comics, that felt unnecessary. Even though I haven't liked the show in a long time, I was always cool with it going it's own way.
They've been doing that little by little all season. They tried to insert the glasses into Clark's life (a little late) and they recently retconned the Zod chronology to fit in with canon. I agree that they probably should have just let it be its own version of events, but at least they've been consistent with trying to "fix" things.
yourlocalcinema is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:47 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,162
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Full disclosure.

A tear and slight chokeup when Jonathan gace Clark the suit in the fortress.

Full-on man tears when he said "Tell the minister I'll be late" and the Williams score kicked in.
GuessWho is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:50 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,294
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Spoilers be damned, this needs to be watched over and over

stingermck is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:53 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,821
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Absolutley flawless. That tops The Shield, Friday Night Lights and Six Feet Under as my favorite finale of all time.
starseed1981 is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 10:56 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,723
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

It was just OK, we knew the very end would be good. Overall, finale was better than I expected.
Ranger is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 11:03 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,141
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Seeing that last shot again, it looks a bit like the sheild was added in with CG.
joe_b is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 11:39 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,082
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Absolutley flawless. That tops The Shield, Friday Night Lights and Six Feet Under as my favorite finale of all time.
Better than SFU? Come on...
Double_Oh_7 is offline  
Old 05-13-11, 11:42 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
That omission bothers me as well. Her "healing tears" kept bringing her to the brink of death. She used those twice, as I recall. I assumed she would use them one last time to save someone important, thereby sacrificing herself and not being able to resuscitate. They completely dropped that after Al and Miles walked from the show.
The current showrunners even forgot that Chloe has Doctor Fate's helmet. We're lucky they even remembered Chloe was a character in this show.

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
Another omission I always found glaring: Dr. Virgil Swann having a link to the Kawatche caves. Remember, the octagonal key was seemingly sucked into the wall as Lionel and Jonathan were fighting for it in season 3. Then we cut to Virgil, who has the key in a box and is looking on with an unreadable expression. After Christopher Reeve's death, they just had Clark receive the key in envelope with a note from Dr. Swann. There was never an explanation of how he intercepted it. It made me think the doctor originally had more involvement in manipulating Clark to achieve his "destiny". I always assumed that the Jor-El from the caves was not the genuine article. Remember how he was always "These people are weak, my son -- you must rule them." in those early seasons? It made me think that perhaps Dr. Swann was being set up as a villain, posing as Jor-El in order to get Clark to obey his commands -- or at least testing him to make sure his character was strong enough that he wouldn't use his powers as a threat to earth. I hate that they never addressed that plot point.
I seem to recall that the plan with Dr. Swann was to reveal him as a villain but Christopher Reeve's untimely death ended those plans.
RocShemp is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:04 AM
  #93  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Louisville
Posts: 7,595
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Maybe it's just me, but I hope that the Donner/Reeve/Williams Superman ends with Smallville. I know it's the "iconic" version to most people our age, but I'm ready for Superman to move beyond that. It would have been nice to see an ending that didn't rely on that crutch. (Here's hoping that Nolan and Snyder are smart enough to figure that out.)
DGibFen is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:07 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DarthVong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 5,777
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I hope that the Donner/Reeve/Williams Superman ends with Smallville. I know it's the "iconic" version to most people our age, but I'm ready for Superman to move beyond that. It would have been nice to see an ending that didn't rely on that crutch. (Here's hoping that Nolan and Snyder are smart enough to figure that out.)
For me I just think that Williams theme for Superman is perfect. It's kinda like The Lone Ranger theme, or James Bond. It's just one of those pieces that fits.
DarthVong is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:08 AM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
yourlocalcinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 420
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Anyone have an HD version of this money shot?

Spoiler:

(click to enlarge)
yourlocalcinema is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:15 AM
  #96  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Leandro/San Francisco
Posts: 7,422
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

I thought the writing was pretty solid with some really good character moments. Other than Tess dying and the CGI Superman, I thought it was a fitting end.
riley_dude is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:25 AM
  #97  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 37
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

I can see the complaints, but as someone who bailed on the show years ago, I was watching this hoping that it would do nothing more than capture the essence of the Superman mythos. I though the show was solid overall and the last 15 minutes nailed it. Yes the CGI was poor, but damn it could have been stick figures with the Williams score and I would have been happy. I agree with DarthVong. The Williams theme is just iconic. A Superman without it is like Bond or Indiana Jones without their themes.
Boogie76 is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:25 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,899
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by DGibFen View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I hope that the Donner/Reeve/Williams Superman ends with Smallville. I know it's the "iconic" version to most people our age, but I'm ready for Superman to move beyond that. It would have been nice to see an ending that didn't rely on that crutch. (Here's hoping that Nolan and Snyder are smart enough to figure that out.)
As long as Superman exists in any form, that John Williams music should be playing alongside him. It is one of those things that has become an integral part of the character.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:28 AM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,159
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Originally Posted by DarthVong View Post
For me I just think that Williams theme for Superman is perfect. It's kinda like The Lone Ranger theme, or James Bond. It's just one of those pieces that fits.
I agree..I get this goosebump feeling and I want to jump up and fly lol
Sonic is offline  
Old 05-14-11, 12:54 AM
  #100  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DarthVong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 5,777
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

DarthVong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.