Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

They did exactly what I was expecting:
Spoiler:
Back of the cape, then tiny digital double for the final sequence. I waited ten years to see a full view of Tom Welling in that suit and I feel cheated, dammit. Screw WB and their film division! But honestly, they were so cheap to recycle the ugly Superman Returns suit. I guess we're lucky to have even gotten an "open shirt" shot of the logo at the end -- which it appears they did create for Tom, as the shield looked bigger and the "S" was actually red. Hated the cheap deus ex machina with Lex getting swiped with memory-erasing blood. Then Clark banishes Darkseid with a punch, which turns him into a bunch of smoke birds?

REALLY hated seeing Aaron Ashmore back as Jimmy 2.0. It's stupid enough that there would be two brothers who went by same name. Now the younger brother grows up to look EXACTLY like the deceased Jimmy. Weak sauce, man. And why would Lois and Clark wait so long (years, apparently -- going by Chloe's son) to finish their wedding? I've loved this show and hated it, sometimes concurrently -- but I suppose this finale could have been much worse. Warts and all, I will miss watching it every week. So glad Chloe made it to the end. She was always my favorite character. Loved the "See you in the funny papers" line. I'm guessing that if DC hadn't shown an interest in using the character, Chloe might have been killed off the show a long time ago.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-13-11 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

You always knew that Lex was going to
Spoiler:
get a total mindwipe
, but I like the way in which it was done. Specifically the redemption of the character who did the deed!
Old 05-13-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I think it would have worked better had Lx0 been brought to life with no memory of who/what he was. Sure, it still doesn't answer why Darkseid would even bring him to life (I'm sure there were scores of other willing hosts more suitable than old Lionel), how Lex would manage not to immediately find the old Veritas journals, especially with the immediate looming question of "who's this dead chick in my office?"

BTW, what happened to Emile? All that development between him and Tess and he just vanishes.
Old 05-13-11, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be alone in this, but while I agree with most of joe_b's complaints, nothing bothered me nearly as much as the weird bookend device with Chloe and the comic book. WTF? Minus that, I was actually pretty happy with the last 30 minutes, and the rest was the same blend of good & bad that's typical for the series, which was fitting.
Old 05-13-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
They did exactly what I was expecting:
Spoiler:
But honestly, they were so cheap to recycle the ugly Superman Returns suit. I guess we're lucky to have even gotten an "open shirt" shot of the logo at the end -- which it appears they did create for Tom, as the shield looked bigger and the "S" was actually red.
Smallville was given the choice of using the Christopher Reeve costume or the ugly Superman Returns suit, the show went with a redesigned Superman Returns costume. That was a very questionable choice. At least they made the S symbol a little better.
Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema
I may be alone in this, but while I agree with most of joe_b's complaints, nothing bothered me nearly as much as the weird bookend device with Chloe and the comic book. WTF? Minus that, I was actually pretty happy with the last 30 minutes, and the rest was the same blend of good & bad that's typical for the series, which was fitting.
The bookends did not do much for me either, I was scared at the closing one they were going to reveal the entire show
Spoiler:
had been a comic book written by Chloe. I guess it was the show's way of telling us Chloe survived and was still married to the Green Arrow. Remember all those statements over the years from various characters from the future, about how there were absolutely no records of Chloe?
Old 05-13-11, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was happy with it

Spoiler:
I don't remember exactly what Tess's issue was, was her blood neurotoxin?
Old 05-13-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by anomynous
I was happy with it

Spoiler:
I don't remember exactly what Tess's issue was, was her blood neurotoxin?
Spoiler:
Some nonsense that the neurotoxin was designed by LexCorp to remove memories or something, which wiped Lex of his knowledge of Superman's true identity.
Old 05-13-11, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
One sticking point of the show I never had a good answer for was Chloe. There was a point when she was developing powers that Braniac tried to attack her and backed off only to say, "What are you?!" Next I believe she used some powers to heal Lois when she was stuck in the damn (I think during the Bizzaro incident). However, I don't recall what ever came of her ability or how it was explained.
That omission bothers me as well. Her "healing tears" kept bringing her to the brink of death. She used those twice, as I recall. I assumed she would use them one last time to save someone important, thereby sacrificing herself and not being able to resuscitate. They completely dropped that after Al and Miles walked from the show. I'm certain that killing Jimmy and ditching Kara was also never on the cards until the new show runners were brought in.

Another omission I always found glaring: Dr. Virgil Swann having a link to the Kawatche caves. Remember, the octagonal key was seemingly sucked into the wall as Lionel and Jonathan were fighting for it in season 3. Then we cut to Virgil, who has the key in a box and is looking on with an unreadable expression. After Christopher Reeve's death, they just had Clark receive the key in envelope with a note from Dr. Swann. There was never an explanation of how he intercepted it. It made me think the doctor originally had more involvement in manipulating Clark to achieve his "destiny". I always assumed that the Jor-El from the caves was not the genuine article. Remember how he was always "These people are weak, my son -- you must rule them." in those early seasons? It made me think that perhaps Dr. Swann was being set up as a villain, posing as Jor-El in order to get Clark to obey his commands -- or at least testing him to make sure his character was strong enough that he wouldn't use his powers as a threat to earth. I hate that they never addressed that plot point.
Old 05-13-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the finale, after bailing on the show 4 or 5 seasons ago. I did peek in from time to time, but only for the occasional ep. So saying that I thought the finale was awful isn't really fair, as I'm not invested in these current stories. However, there was a time when I was invested in these characters, and outside of seeing Lex again, everything felt very flat.

One thing I did find weird is the show's need to set things in motion for the future. This show is so much it's own thing, I didn't see any reason to have Lex be mind wiped, or to reintroduce a new Jimmy Olsen. Since Smallville is essentially dead, only to live on in books and comics, that felt unnecessary. Even though I haven't liked the show in a long time, I was always cool with it going it's own way.
Old 05-13-11, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
One thing I did find weird is the show's need to set things in motion for the future. This show is so much it's own thing, I didn't see any reason to have Lex be mind wiped, or to reintroduce a new Jimmy Olsen. Since Smallville is essentially dead, only to live on in books and comics, that felt unnecessary. Even though I haven't liked the show in a long time, I was always cool with it going it's own way.
They've been doing that little by little all season. They tried to insert the glasses into Clark's life (a little late) and they recently retconned the Zod chronology to fit in with canon. I agree that they probably should have just let it be its own version of events, but at least they've been consistent with trying to "fix" things.
Old 05-13-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Full disclosure.

A tear and slight chokeup when Jonathan gace Clark the suit in the fortress.

Full-on man tears when he said "Tell the minister I'll be late" and the Williams score kicked in.
Old 05-13-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Spoilers be damned, this needs to be watched over and over

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qQC5esAKB-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-13-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutley flawless. That tops The Shield, Friday Night Lights and Six Feet Under as my favorite finale of all time.
Old 05-13-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It was just OK, we knew the very end would be good. Overall, finale was better than I expected.
Old 05-13-11, 11:03 PM

Seeing that last shot again, it looks a bit like the sheild was added in with CG.
Old 05-13-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Absolutley flawless. That tops The Shield, Friday Night Lights and Six Feet Under as my favorite finale of all time.
Better than SFU? Come on...
Old 05-13-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

That omission bothers me as well. Her "healing tears" kept bringing her to the brink of death. She used those twice, as I recall. I assumed she would use them one last time to save someone important, thereby sacrificing herself and not being able to resuscitate. They completely dropped that after Al and Miles walked from the show.
The current showrunners even forgot that Chloe has Doctor Fate's helmet. We're lucky they even remembered Chloe was a character in this show.

Another omission I always found glaring: Dr. Virgil Swann having a link to the Kawatche caves. Remember, the octagonal key was seemingly sucked into the wall as Lionel and Jonathan were fighting for it in season 3. Then we cut to Virgil, who has the key in a box and is looking on with an unreadable expression. After Christopher Reeve's death, they just had Clark receive the key in envelope with a note from Dr. Swann. There was never an explanation of how he intercepted it. It made me think the doctor originally had more involvement in manipulating Clark to achieve his "destiny". I always assumed that the Jor-El from the caves was not the genuine article. Remember how he was always "These people are weak, my son -- you must rule them." in those early seasons? It made me think that perhaps Dr. Swann was being set up as a villain, posing as Jor-El in order to get Clark to obey his commands -- or at least testing him to make sure his character was strong enough that he wouldn't use his powers as a threat to earth. I hate that they never addressed that plot point.
I seem to recall that the plan with Dr. Swann was to reveal him as a villain but Christopher Reeve's untimely death ended those plans.
Old 05-14-11, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's just me, but I hope that the Donner/Reeve/Williams Superman ends with Smallville. I know it's the "iconic" version to most people our age, but I'm ready for Superman to move beyond that. It would have been nice to see an ending that didn't rely on that crutch. (Here's hoping that Nolan and Snyder are smart enough to figure that out.)
Old 05-14-11, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Maybe it's just me, but I hope that the Donner/Reeve/Williams Superman ends with Smallville. I know it's the "iconic" version to most people our age, but I'm ready for Superman to move beyond that. It would have been nice to see an ending that didn't rely on that crutch. (Here's hoping that Nolan and Snyder are smart enough to figure that out.)
For me I just think that Williams theme for Superman is perfect. It's kinda like The Lone Ranger theme, or James Bond. It's just one of those pieces that fits.
Old 05-14-11, 12:08 AM

Anyone have an HD version of this money shot?

Spoiler:

(click to enlarge)
Old 05-14-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the writing was pretty solid with some really good character moments. Other than Tess dying and the CGI Superman, I thought it was a fitting end.
Old 05-14-11, 12:25 AM
Cool New Member

I can see the complaints, but as someone who bailed on the show years ago, I was watching this hoping that it would do nothing more than capture the essence of the Superman mythos. I though the show was solid overall and the last 15 minutes nailed it. Yes the CGI was poor, but damn it could have been stick figures with the Williams score and I would have been happy. I agree with DarthVong. The Williams theme is just iconic. A Superman without it is like Bond or Indiana Jones without their themes.
Old 05-14-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DGibFen
As long as Superman exists in any form, that John Williams music should be playing alongside him. It is one of those things that has become an integral part of the character.
Old 05-14-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
For me I just think that Williams theme for Superman is perfect. It's kinda like The Lone Ranger theme, or James Bond. It's just one of those pieces that fits.
I agree..I get this goosebump feeling and I want to jump up and fly lol
Old 05-14-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e9vrfEoc8_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.