Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Smallville- Series Finale -"Finale"- 05/13/2011

I can't believe I didn't realize that the finale was in only 2 days! I remember watching the pilot when I was a freshman in high school and now I'm writing this from work in between meetings - time flies...

I havn't watched the show in a couple of years (I tuned out around the time Jimmy Olsen showed up) but I gotta see how it all ends.
Old 05-12-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wow, haven't thought of Jimmy Olsen in awhile. It would be great if they show the real Jimmy Olsen getting a job at the Planet and also Perry White coming to work there. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Old 05-12-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who is the "real" Jimmy Olsen?
Old 05-12-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm guessing that Jonathan shown at the wedding is the Jonathan Kent from the Clark Luthor reality. That or the ghost of the Jonathan Kent of this reality makes another guest appearance (like he did a while back).

And with that question
Spoiler:
about the John Williams theme song
focused on the "last five minutes", I'm guessing Clark only dons the suit in the final scene and his only act of superheroism is finally learning how to fly.
Old 05-12-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
Who is the "real" Jimmy Olsen?
The Jimmy Olsen that dated and then married Chloe wasn't the Jimmy Olsen that would go on to work with Clark and Lois at the Daily Planet covering the Superman era. In the episode where he died, it was revealed that only his middle name was Jimmy (or James) and that his younger brother's first name was Jimmy. Then someone gave him the dead Jimmy's camera with the implication being that he would grow up to be Jimmy Olsen the photographer from the Daily Planet that everyone knows from Superman lore.
Old 05-12-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The Jimmy Olsen that dated and then married Chloe wasn't the Jimmy Olsen that would go on to work with Clark and Lois at the Daily Planet covering the Superman era. In the episode where he died, it was revealed that only his middle name was Jimmy (or James) and that his younger brother's first name was Jimmy. Then someone gave him the dead Jimmy's camera with the implication being that he would grow up to be Jimmy Olsen the photographer from the Daily Planet that everyone knows from Superman lore.
Also, in season 9 finale, they showed a flash forward scene with Lois working at the Daily Planet and I think she called for Jimmy in one scene.
Old 05-12-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Somebody save me..." This will probably be the last time I ever hear that song...maybe I should pick it up on iTunes. This is one of the shows where I always watch the opening credits because I like the song and the opening still looks pretty cool.
They just released a score from the 10 years. That's available on itunes as well.
Old 05-12-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I'm curios what people might have changed looking back. Did you ever feel Clark and Lex were friends? Was mistrust played up too much?
Were Clark and Lex ever friends? No. They weren't the same age. They didn't go to school together. They didn't hang out and shoot hoops. Clark didn't get a job at LuthorCorp. They were two people bonded by an accident.

Changes? I would have killed Jonathan sooner. John Schneider was inspired casting and his chemistry with Welling and O'Toole was excellent, but the writers just didn't know how to write that character. He was a one note song. Every episode "Lex is bad," "Lionel is bad," "all Luthor's are evil," yada yada yada. His few post-mortem guest appearances almost make up for it. Lana should have bit it sooner as well. It became clear early on that Kruek's doe-eyed Lana just didn't work with the rest of the show.

Rosenbaum was one of the strongest people in the cast, yet Lex was nearly the downfall of the show, IMO. Crazy. The show improved by leaps and bounds once he was out of the picture. The writers were free to test the waters with other villains and not shoehorn Lex or Lexcorp into every plot. Plus it meant an end to Clark storming into the mansion and accusing Lex of something every episode.

Chloe was kind of all over the place. She was solid in the high school years, and solid as Watchtower, but meandered a bit between the two.

As for everyone else, I like how they handled all the other superheroes/villains. The only thing I would have changed would be to show the fucking fight between Clark and Bizarro. Lame fucking finale.

At the conclusion of 10 seasons, I can now safely say that no episode has eclipsed Thirst to take the spot for worst episode of the lot.
Originally Posted by dex14
IDK...I thought the episode where Pete returned that was just pretty much a commercial for gum was the worst one in my recent memory.
However, I would put it in the Top 5 category, along with Pete's other lovely episode Velocity (Fast and Furious riff - funny how that's had a 5th film in the series at this point).
This right here is what we call a trifecta. The three worst episodes of the entire run.
Old 05-12-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

"Somebody save me..." This will probably be the last time I ever hear that song...maybe I should pick it up on iTunes. This is one of the shows where I always watch the opening credits because I like the song and the opening still looks pretty cool. I still remember the one where Lois was in her bikini. I wonder if that little kid that Clark shields in the opening credits gets a residual check from that little snippet.
There are 2 Smallville soundtracks. Volume 1 has the Remy Zero song "Save Me" If your a fan of the music on the show, both soundtracks are worth buying.

And I totally agree, I love watching the opening credits.
Old 05-12-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually thought the show improved after Lex and Lana left. they were really stuck in neutral for a while.
Old 05-12-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my favorites was the episode(s) with Alicia. They were so good, they didn't even seem like Smallville.
Old 05-13-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can you remind us who Alicia was? Thanks.
Old 05-13-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Batman cameo or at least a nod in the Series Finale?

BTW, to me SMALLVILLE only works if I think of it as happening on an alternate Earth. I mean, the stories and characters are so FUBAR'd....although I'm NOT happy seeing a DC show go away, I am happy to see THIS DC show end.
My thoughts exactly on the show. Batman was strictly off-limits to Smallville by the way, they were not even allowed to mention Bruce Wayne's name on air. The writers had wanted him to be a major cast member at one point, but got shot down and went with Green Arrow.

Breaking news as of tonight, I am very happy to report that NBC has decided to not pick up the Wonder Woman series! I was so scared it would end up being a wreck like Smallville, twisting the character beyond recognition, but staying on the air to torment me for years like Smallville did. Smallville was never particularly good, but it did get the casting right for all the major players. That was the only reason it stayed on the air as long as it did, as the writing was often some of the worst on television and it horribly mangled the mythology of Superman.

If it wasn't for some sick sense of childhood nostalgia and feeling of obligation to DC comics, there is no way I would have stuck around to watch Smallville all these years.
Old 05-13-11, 03:36 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Aside from obvious things like - stop the show after season 5 or 6, never move to Metropolis or have Clark wear the suit years ago, I'm curios what people might have changed looking back.
Erica Durance has been a good Lois. But I always wondered what it would have been like if Chloe had turned into Lois Lane. Back in one of the High School seasons she had used the pseudonym for her first Daily Planet article. I really liked that idea.

I also wish they had re-branded the show at some point. Maybe after Season 4. Leave all the Smallville stuff behind. Rename it "Metropolis" with new sets and co-stars. Perhaps even jump it forward 5 years. Instead the series lingered on old characters/storylines.
Old 05-13-11, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

IMO, they kinda did a 5 year jump by making them all skip college
Old 05-13-11, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you remind us who Alicia was? Thanks.
To me, the most intense, adult, and interesting relationship Clark has ever had, including Lana and Lois. There was more chemistry between Clark and Alicia than in all his other relationships put together.

http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Clark_and_Alicia
http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Alicia_Baker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vl6nCS03T0
Old 05-13-11, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SOMEBODY SAAAAAVVVVVEEE MEEE!!!

tonight.... its over and i can finally say goodbye to the CW
Old 05-13-11, 07:31 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
One of my favorites was the episode(s) with Alicia. They were so good, they didn't even seem like Smallville.
+1

She was my favorite meteor freak.
Old 05-13-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I always felt that relationship was very sudden though. Clark's motivation always felt like it was simply because she "got" him, and not necessarily because he cared for her as a person. Maybe I'd have to look at it again.

Originally Posted by raven56706

You're missing out if you're not watching Vampire Diaries!
Old 05-13-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alicia was a breath of fresh air the show really needed. My crush on Sarah Carter started that day. I was so pissed when they killed her off and the show was back to Clark being one step away from raiding Lana's hamper to sniff her panties.
Old 05-13-11, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I was so pissed when they killed her off and the show was back to Clark being one step away from raiding Lana's hamper to sniff her panties.
LMAOOOOO
Old 05-13-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

Breaking news as of tonight, I am very happy to report that NBC has decided to not pick up the Wonder Woman series! I was so scared it would end up being a wreck like Smallville, twisting the character beyond recognition, but staying on the air to torment me for years like Smallville did. Smallville was never particularly good, but it did get the casting right for all the major players. That was the only reason it stayed on the air as long as it did, as the writing was often some of the worst on television and it horribly mangled the mythology of Superman.

If it wasn't for some sick sense of childhood nostalgia and feeling of obligation to DC comics, there is no way I would have stuck around to watch Smallville all these years.
Ouch. Nobody forced you to watch it. It was a fun, albeit, sometimes bumpy ride. As for taking creative licenses with the mythology, who cares? Why does every incarnation of this character need to be the exact same as the previous? As long as the basic stuff is there, roll with it.
Old 05-13-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait for tonight! Definitley one of my personal top 10 series of all time. It's not perfect, but aside from half of season seven I completely enjoyed the ride.

Also, include me in the crowd that thought these last three seasons were their best.
Old 05-13-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706

ME TOO. Except for Supernatural and Vampire Diaries.
Old 05-13-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the show overall but it was definitely a bumpy ride. The lowest point (aside from the trilogy of suck that was listed earlier in this thread) of this show was the major anti-climax with Doomsday. They played up the character so much and then did nothing with him worth remembering. Of course, it could have been worse. They could have just forgotten about him midseason only to bring him back at the last minute. [COUGH]Darkseid![/COUGH]

The one thing I surely wont miss is that horrid theme song. It always gets on my nerves so I tend to mute the opening credits.

After this is over, Supernatural will be the only CW show I'll watch (assuming they've learned from their mistakes this season).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.