Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Vampire Diaries -- Season Finale -- "As I Lay Dying" -- 5/12/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Vampire Diaries season finale?
Awesome! I'm speechless. Bring on season 3
33.33%
Thought it was pretty good. Looking forward to next season
33.33%
Meh, it was alright. On par with most episodes this season
11.11%
Last week should have been the finale. I was disappointed
22.22%
Thought it sucked. Horrible way to end a great season
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-11, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-04-07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While Mystic Falls presents a screening of "Gone with The Wind" in the town square, Damon's (Ian Somerhalder) memories of Katherine (Nina Dobrev) in 1864 mix with the reality of Elena (Nina Dobrev) in the present day. Stefan (Paul Wesley) pays a terrible personal price for his attempt to prevent a tragedy, and Sheriff Forbes (Marguerite MacIntyre) makes a deadly mistake while trying to keep everyone safe. More than one life hangs in the balance as the consequences of the sacrifice ritual play out to a horrifying conclusion.

Episode 22 of 22

Extended Trailer:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlvpHmhH-TQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlvpHmhH-TQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Another can't wait!!
Old 05-12-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Vampire Diaries -- Season Finale -- "As I Lay Dying" -- 5/12/11

Since it's the season finale, we should add another Candice Accola pic:

Can't wait!
Old 05-12-11, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give the writers props for turning around my opinion of Caroline. She's one of my favs now.. I'm even growing tolerant of Bonnie but only when she's in bad ass witch mode.

Sorry but Sheriff Forbes needs to die. I find her worthless/pointless.
Old 05-12-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm very eager for this! I hope it can top last week's craziness though. While I liked the Fringe finale I think the prior episode would have worked as a better finale for the season.

The preview - as misleading as the usually are - makes it sound like somebody gets offed in this episode. That's par for the course on this show though, so the big question would be who.

As a whole this season has been fantastic though. It's been a roller coaster the entire way and very fun. I think the biggest improvement on the year has been, 1) Caroline and 2) Elena trying to take control of situations despite the proverbial weakness of being human.

The two major things I think they need to address next year/fix are: 1) Matt, and 2) Jeremy. With Matt (assuming this hasn't been taken care of already by him stepping aside) I think he's having too much of a meltdown. Aside from Jenna he has had the least amount to deal with and yet he can't seem to handle it. I do appreciate that they didn't really hit the reset button though. As for Jeremy, he's always 2 steps behind. Every time you think he's about to step up do something he's either told not to, or it's something dumb. And being Bonnie's sidekick isn't a good enough role.
Old 05-12-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by draven31

Sorry but Sheriff Forbes needs to die. I find her worthless/pointless.
X100
Old 05-12-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not enough Caroline. I was hoping she would get to kick some ass.

Thought this was underwhelming for a finale. We knew they wouldn't kill off Damon, so that whole plot was a bore. And I usually like the flashbacks, but thought these were pretty meh.

Great season overall, though.
Old 05-12-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought that it was really good myself, and I cannot wait for next season as it set so much up. It left me wanting to watch it again, I really love this show. Plus, I am a sucker for flashbacks. They are always so well done.

The only thing that kept me from giving it the highest possible rating is that last week's episode was even better than this one. It's like every episode they do is a possible season finale.
Old 05-12-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superman07

The two major things I think they need to address next year/fix are: 1) Matt, and 2) Jeremy. With Matt (assuming this hasn't been taken care of already by him stepping aside) I think he's having too much of a meltdown. Aside from Jenna he has had the least amount to deal with and yet he can't seem to handle it. I do appreciate that they didn't really hit the reset button though. As for Jeremy, he's always 2 steps behind. Every time you think he's about to step up do something he's either told not to, or it's something dumb. And being Bonnie's sidekick isn't a good enough role.
I agree. It seems you only get interesting on the show when you have powers or are a Monster.
Caroline was too whiny until she became a vampire and same with Tyler who wasn't really interesting until he became a Werewolf. I thought they were going to change Jenna into an interesting character...until she was killed.
I had a feeling something was going to happen after Jeremy came back.
Old 05-13-11, 04:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

awful finale.

the one thing I applauded this show for was killing off characters and seemingly keeping them dead. ugh, now this. sort of a jump the shark moment for me now.
Old 05-13-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
awful finale.

the one thing I applauded this show for was killing off characters and seemingly keeping them dead. ugh, now this. sort of a jump the shark moment for me now.
Are you referring to Jeremy or the Vampire girls?
Old 05-13-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll definitley be back for season three. Loved it.
Old 05-13-11, 11:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thrush
Are you referring to Jeremy or the Vampire girls?
the Vamp girls.
Old 05-13-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything that brings Anna back is far from a jump the shark moment for me. It's a plus in my book.
Old 05-13-11, 01:46 PM

The only thing I didn't like about last nights episode is they let the Sheriff live.

DAMNIT
Old 05-13-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

awful finale.

Great season overall, though I agree on the questionable fakeout killing of Jeremy. Shows lose a lot of tension when almost every death can be made reversible by some Deus Ex Machina. That is starting to happen now with regularity, including Damon's cure. Does anyone really think we have seen the last of Elijah?
the Vamp girls.
Those were obviously ghosts that Jeremy is seeing in the house. The writers are ripping off Being Human, which I think they should have left untouched. A lame plot device, but writers love using any excuse possible to bring back popular actors on a show.
Old 05-13-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Great season overall, though I agree on the questionable fakeout killing of Jeremy. Shows lose a lot of tension when almost every death can be made reversible by some Deus Ex Machina. That is starting to happen now with regularity, including Damon's cure. Does anyone really think we have seen the last of Elijah?

Those were obviously ghosts that Jeremy is seeing in the house. The writers are ripping off Being Human, which I think they should have left untouched. A lame plot device, but writers love using any excuse possible to bring back popular actors on a show.

Perhaps, but I think it fits within the tone and mythology of the show. Hopefully they're not going to be messenger crutches though.

I'm in tha camp who thought this was really boring, with the exception of the last few minutes. It was even worse compared to last weeks home run.

I sense a theme that each season will end in the Gilbert house.

I was hoping Bonnie would have been the trade for Jeremy.

Not finding the triangle ending very good either. Now Elana will go for Dameon since he's fixed and Stefan is all juiced up and rouge?
Old 05-14-11, 04:35 AM

Elijah's death was far too easily predicted. The specific language they used gave it away instantly.

The fact that the bodies of these supposedly dead people are being stored by Klaus rather than destroyed very much suggests they can be resurrected. I don't see the purpose of storage otherwise.
Old 05-14-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Did Klaus stab him with a piece of the ash tree like Elena did earlier? If so, removing the piece should be enough to slowly bring them back. I know a vamp stabbing another vamp with the ash is supposed to kill both, but maybe his being of a wolf bloodline somehow negated that. Maybe Stefan is able to free himself from Klaus by resurrecting the other members of Elijah's family.
Old 05-14-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
The fact that the bodies of these supposedly dead people are being stored by Klaus rather than destroyed very much suggests they can be resurrected. I don't see the purpose of storage otherwise.
I dont think he could destroy the bodies even if he wanted to. Remember when they tried to burn Elijah's body?
Old 05-14-11, 07:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Vicki has a bit of a horseface but my GOD what a body