Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will leave Redemption Island tonight?
Matt
10.00%
Andrea
20.00%
Mike
0%
Ralph
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

Old 05-12-11, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

Originally Posted by gr8vette View Post

I cannot believe that when it was down to 6, none of the 5 people left thought to get Rob out. The ONLY thing I can think of why they haven't is that they think they can beat him in the end. Funny, but I think Phillip might be playing the game VERY smart being the bad crazy guy who gets to the final three and all of a sudden puts out a great level argument that Rob did all the dirty work and I pretended to be the crazy guy. Its a long shot, but it may work for him.
Well, for one thing, Rob had immunity last week when it was 6. Now when it was down to 5.....you could wonder, but it's my belief they know he has a hidden Idol, so it makes it a very risky play since anyone (outside of the one with immunity) could end up getting booted.

If Rob makes the jury against a non RI player, I don't believe he'll suffer the same fate as Russell. What in the heck is Rob supposed to do? You need to vote out your friends eventually. He's not rubbing their faces in it and he hasn't been a bully--that separates him from Russell. I think a guy with the character of Grant will realize that in the end and not just vote against Rob for revenge.
Yeah -- I really don't get the comparison of Rob to Russell.
Old 05-12-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
Some might argue that Rob being a 4th time contestant playing against 1st timers let alone against a handpicked cast of morons is rock bottom irregardless of how the rest of the season plays out.
Even though I am a Rob fan, that is an excellent point.
Old 05-12-11, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

If anything, this being Rob's 4th time hurts him, as he had a big target on his head from the outset. His being able to overcome that, without any significant noise of voting him off, is a credit to his gameplay.

Philip NEEDS to be in the final, just so we can hear what kind of crazy shit will come out of his mouth.
Old 05-12-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Glad to see Ralph go after he was suck a dick to Andrea.
Whoa...I must have missed that scene.
Old 05-12-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
Some might argue that Rob being a 4th time contestant playing against 1st timers let alone against a handpicked cast of morons is rock bottom irregardless of how the rest of the season plays out.
Or you can say that he was at a handicap because everyone there knew his game. Look what happened to Russel. He should have had the same advantages as Rob.
Old 05-12-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Well, for one thing, Rob had immunity last week when it was 6. Now when it was down to 5.....you could wonder, but it's my belief they know he has a hidden Idol, so it makes it a very risky play since anyone (outside of the one with immunity) could end up getting booted.
I didn't think so until this week. It might have been editing but when Jeff asked if anyone wanted to play the idol everyone looked at Rob.
Old 05-12-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I didn't think so until this week. It might have been editing but when Jeff asked if anyone wanted to play the idol everyone looked at Rob.
They sure did seem to call off the HII search parties rather easily, as well as giving up on wondering where the HII clues might be disappearing to. But props to Rob for (apparently at least) being the first contestant I can recall who didn't shoot his mouth off to at least one person after he found it.
Old 05-12-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Probst
"Will the jury be a bunch of bitter bitches intent on punishing the most deserving and rewarding the least offensive?"
Jeff's Blog

Yep. It happened to Russell and it will happen to Rob if he's in the final 3.
Old 05-12-11, 09:46 AM

Or you can say that he was at a handicap because everyone there knew his game. Look what happened to Russel. He should have had the same advantages as Rob.
I think Rob got VERY lucky when he was put on a team with such young, easily manipulated people. As he has said all season, they are a bunch of idiots.

Had Rob been put on the other team, I believe his fate would have been the same as Russell.
Old 05-12-11, 09:48 AM

I think Rob got VERY lucky when he was put on a team with such young, easily manipulated people. As he has said all season, they are a bunch of idiots.

Had Rob been put on the other team, I believe his fate would have been the same as Russell.
My thoughts exactly. Rob scored big time when he got that orange buff.
Old 05-12-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I disagree. Rob is different from Russell because Rob doesn't play the asshole role. He's the nice guy. He's the guy that the group feels they can trust. Russell plays the asshole and his idea is to get a small group and alienate everyone else. So it's debatable on how the Zapatera would have acted if Rob were in their group instead of Russell. I certainly don't think Russell would have made it long in the game regardless of what tribe he was on.
Old 05-12-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
Jeff's Blog

Yep. It happened to Russell and it will happen to Rob if he's in the final 3.
I love his comment that we are finally due for a deserving winner.
Old 05-12-11, 10:13 AM

I disagree. Rob is different from Russell because Rob doesn't play the asshole role. He's the nice guy. He's the guy that the group feels they can trust. Russell plays the asshole and his idea is to get a small group and alienate everyone else. So it's debatable on how the Zapatera would have acted if Rob were in their group instead of Russell. I certainly don't think Russell would have made it long in the game regardless of what tribe he was on.
Yeah but Russell would have had an easier time manipulating the Ometepe tribe....much easier time. I don't care how much more likable Rob is, the Zapatera tribe would have ditched him before the merge. He may have lasted a little longer than Russell did and no challenges would have been intentionally thrown but no way he gets to the end of the game with that group.

Rob deserves to win it this season but he got lucky with the group he got. You don't have to play the game much when you got 3 girls who are "starstruck" by you and will do anything you tell them to.
Old 05-12-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I'm convinced that Ralph really doesn't know how to read (spell) based on his performance in working that puzzle.
I have to call foul on that challenge. When Mike finished his puzzle, Matt and Andrea were able to see the finished puzzle. Andrea was between Mike and Ralph right? So Ralph couldn't "cheat" by looking at the finished puzzle. Granted, Ralph would have probably lost anyway, but they should have had blocking boards so no one would have that advantage. Especially since this wasn't a case where only the first person to solve the puzzle remained in the game.
Old 05-12-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I have to call foul on that challenge. When Mike finished his puzzle, Matt and Andrea were able to see the finished puzzle. Andrea was between Mike and Ralph right? So Ralph couldn't "cheat" by looking at the finished puzzle. Granted, Ralph would have probably lost anyway, but they should have had blocking boards so no one would have that advantage. Especially since this wasn't a case where only the first person to solve the puzzle remained in the game.
Actually, Andrea was the furthest one away from Mike. The lineup from left to right was Matt-Mike-Ralph-Andrea. Ralph was right next to Mike and he still couldn't figure things out.

But yes, I thought the same thing while watching -- that it was unfair and that they should have blockers.
Old 05-12-11, 11:21 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I noticed that comment too. That goes against some of the people on this forum who say everyone that wins is a deserving winner.

Grant seemed tight with Rob, but several episodes ago he was shown saying that he thinks for himself and would vote Rob out if he had to, so he may not have been as much of a lock to stick with Rob as some think. I wonder though if Rob made a mistake by voting him out, because Rob's logical calculations seemed to conclude that he needed to break up Ashley and Natalie, but he didn't listen to that and went more with his emotions.

I'd like to see Rob win, but I'm just glad he's made it all the way to the final night because he's interesting to watch on the show. If Grant came back from RI and won I think that would be an amazing story, but if it's Matt I just don't feel he's played the same game, although that would be pretty amazing too. It just seems awfully late in the game for any of the RI people to come back into the game.

I haven't disliked the challenges this season like so many of you, but the location has kept them from doing many of the classic ocean challenges that tend to be more fun.
Old 05-12-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

How many times did Grant say 'Bro' to Rob last night? I'm glad he got voted off.
Old 05-12-11, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I haven't disliked the challenges this season like so many of you, but the location has kept them from doing many of the classic ocean challenges that tend to be more fun.
My problem with the challenges this season is that there were too many repeated from last season. Also, I think the redemption Island challenges should all be either combative (Log Rolling Type) or Endurance (Who wants it more). Lame puzzles have to go. You should have to FIGHT to stay on Redemption Island.
Old 05-12-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Dino, small spoiler from the finale preview, but you didn't seem to mind before, so I hope you'll read this:

Spoiler:
I caught this from the preview. Could mean nothing, but sometimes they do let things slip. You see Natalie telling Ashley that it's going to be her, Rob, and Natalie to the end. That's the promise Nat is making to Ashley. Why would she say that if she wasn't totally with Rob? Nat knows that Rob's plan is Nat, her, and Phillip-not Ashley. So she is lying to Ashley (she wouldn't lie for no reason if she was flipping) and that certainly makes me think Rob made damned sure Natalie was with him before letting Grant go. It also fits with Ash not going after Rob, as she's probably believing in Nat and willing to just take her shot in the finals with Nat and Rob. Rob might have been thinking too much about the final 3 too soon, without thinking, as you pointed out, that if Grant won the final immunity, and he certainly has a better chance than Nat or Ash would, that Grant would have taken Rob to the final 3-giving Rob a better chance. MAYBE Rob had just a little doubt that Grant would want to face Rob in the final 3. We saw on TV how loyal Grant was to Rob, but 2 strong males in the final 3 certainly would make Rob think either Grant might not want that if he won immunity at final 4 OR that it was riskier to go to the finals with another strong male. At this point, with the RI garbage, my head is hurting trying to think of all the things that might happen.
Spoiler:
I watched the preview, but I don't remember seeing that part. The previews are usually pretty good about not spoiling anything too important (unlike the preview for the finale of Celebrity Apprentice...not sure if you watch that) and they seem to like messing with our heads. I wouldn't put too much into that statement, only because it's out of context and as far as we know Phillip could have been voted out before she said that.
I see the upside and downside of voting out Grant. I just hope that it didn't kill Rob's game. He's the only deserving winner in my book.

At this point, with the RI garbage, my head is hurting trying to think of all the things that might happen.
And you just made my head hurt as well. Too many possibilities at this point. It's like we're watching a brand new game. I guess that's one positive thing I can say about RI. It's kept us, as viewers, guessing 'til the very end.
Old 05-12-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pfft. I don't buy it. It was an act for the Jury.
Yeah, his private interviews are all an act for the jury.

Rob is nothing like Russell other than they're both really cocky players. Rob has played the exact same game ever since Marquesas, years before Russell ever had his chance. He seeks to create such a strong tribe bond that there's no chance of it breaking after the merge, but the downside of that is that people's feelings will be hurt when it's their time to go.
Old 05-12-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
I guess the last winner who didn't take the under-the-radar approach was JT.

Unfortunately, I think this jury is going to be (to use Jeff's excellent phrase) a bunch of bitter bitches. Zapatera's attitude towards Russell (and the subsequent challenge throwing) points towards that ... that alliance really has a "holier-than thou" attitude. And I get the sense each blindsided Ometepe will hold a grudge against whoever they see to be the ringleader - though they revel in the backstabbing when it isn't them. Though I hope I'm wrong.

At the reunion, Amber better bring the "Murlonio" stuffed animal while Rob makes fun of everyone for believing it's the Spanish word for "united"
Old 05-12-11, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about it. Your in the final 4. That when people WILL start playing the game, even these idiots.

If Grant is next to you, he has a GREAT shot at winning the final immunity and taking Rob out. Why would Grant want to be standing next to Rob in the end?

Natalie has a VERY LOW chance of winning final immunity and up to this point, Natalie has told Rob EVERYTHING.

Beyond the final 4... Think about being in the final 3. Who would you want to be there with? Grant, the power-house nice guy who won SEVERAL immunity challenges? Or Natalie, the goat who did NOTHING the entire game. (Sure she got lucky once and one an immunity.)
I see your point, but I disagree. I think Natalie is a much bigger threat to win the million over Grant. Just like in Russell's season, the cute girl who did nothing but slip into the finals won since she didn't offend anybody. So far nobody who was voted out hates Rob, so he would have a decent shot if he ended up going against Grant in the final. Rob could easily make the case that Grant was just as involved in sending everybody home and was not just a "nice guy". In fact, Rob was already spinning that web in this episode when he was telling people Grant wanted that other girl gone and Rob acted like he was just the messenger. It would not be an landslide if Rob went against Grant, but I think Rob may even get voted out before he gets to the finals because Natalie and that other girl may team up with the RI winner.
Old 05-12-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You obviously didn't see the All-Stars season. Rob was RUTHLESS, and burned bridges not only with other tribe members, but relationships outside of the game as well.
Old 05-12-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Spoiler:
I watched the preview, but I don't remember seeing that part. The previews are usually pretty good about not spoiling anything too important (unlike the preview for the finale of Celebrity Apprentice...not sure if you watch that) and they seem to like messing with our heads. I wouldn't put too much into that statement, only because it's out of context and as far as we know Phillip could have been voted out before she said that.
I see the upside and downside of voting out Grant. I just hope that it didn't kill Rob's game. He's the only deserving winner in my book.

And you just made my head hurt as well. Too many possibilities at this point. It's like we're watching a brand new game. I guess that's one positive thing I can say about RI. It's kept us, as viewers, guessing 'til the very end.
for matt to survive an entire redemption island would be worthy as well.. it is the title of the season, and would mark a great finale
Old 05-12-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
You obviously didn't see the All-Stars season. Rob was RUTHLESS, and burned bridges not only with other tribe members, but relationships outside of the game as well.
Let me clarify what I meant... Rob came into this season playing the nice guy. Playing the guy that everyone wants to root for. Sure he played the game a different way before but in this season and his last he didn't play the same way he did in the first All-Stars.

Russell, on the hand, continued playing the way he did his last two season and it got him burned.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.