Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will leave Redemption Island tonight?
Matt
10.00%
Andrea
20.00%
Mike
0%
Ralph
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Redemption Island -- "Too Close for Comfort" -- 5/11/11

How many shows have they now tried the "Phillip is crazy, maybe we should vote him out" routine? Can't they try something original.... what has it been now? 4 or 5 show where they have done this?

This is quickly becoming one of the worst seasons of Survivor (if it isn't already);
- There has been no actual drama in any of the votes for the last 6 or 7 weeks (despite the producers desperately trying to drum it up). Was there anyone thinking it wasn't Andrea, and if she won immunity it would be Grant? Next week it will be the RI winner or Andrea voted out; but they'll have a few shots of Phillip being a nut, people seemingly getting annoyed with it and thinking of voting him out.
- The challenges have become ridiculous; the RI challenges are absurd and the immunity challenges have also been weak this season (even the head to head stuff with the tribes was weak).
- There have been no contestants other than Phillip that have been developed (which made it clear as day he was going to the finals, or at least very deep into the show, even just a few weeks into the show)
- The shows have just become Phillip acting crazy and Rob confessionals about how great he is and some half assed attempt to make it seem like there is a lot of strategic maneuvering going on when the outcome is as clear as day.
- Part of the reason there is close to zero gameplay is they decided to cast a bunch of idiots and passive people.
- Probst has done a shitty job at tribal immunity
Old 05-11-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
Some might argue that Rob being a 4th time contestant playing against 1st timers let alone against a handpicked cast of morons is rock bottom irregardless of how the rest of the season plays out.
At least he's playing. Sure, his tribe had hero worship, but to Rob's credit he quickly got rid of the ones that didn't and converted the ones that were shaky (crazy Phil).

I'm not defending R&R coming back again, but they got no special privileges and could be voted out at any time. The other tribe certainly didn't have a problem doing it.

If Rob were to win then I would marvel at his masterful game. If he were to lose to Natalie or Ashley I would be happy for them for beating him. If he were to lose to Phillip then I would wonder what drugs the jury was on. If he loses to Matt or Mike then the outcome was probably unfair.
Old 05-11-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob dun goofed by not voting out Natalie. Why was he so unwilling to write her name down, is he planning on trading in Ambuh for a newer model? Either way, terrible decision. Grant would have done anything Rob said where Natalie will always listen to that queef. Not taking into account the RI winner, it's going to be 2v2 instead of 3v1.
Old 05-11-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I really like everyone left except Phillip, so I wasn't happy about seeing any of them go home, but Ashley was the one I wanted to go and, finally, we saw something go not according to script and she won. Grant seemed like a great guy. Maybe he can get back in the game, but I can't understand what Rob meant by his "calculations" of why to keep Grant. It sure seemed like it's been his plan for a long time to take Natalie and Phillip if he gets the chance, so why would it matter to him when to cut Grant's throat? Seems dangerous to leave him in when he could potentially win any immunity challenge or several in a row.
I just felt like there was no chance Grant would ever turn on Rob. Unlike Natalie, Grant never seemed to really bond with anyone else in the game but Rob. He would be there to help take out the returning RI player for Rob and he would also have a great chance at the final immunity challenge, giving Rob a much better chance at making the final 3....(thinking as I write this)...but then you have to worry about the jury and Grant may have a stronger case to win than Natalie, so I guess I can see why he would choose to take Grant out. It may make the road getting there a little harder, but winning the votes once he's there easier.

Rob must be a big fan of Inception. I loved the way he planted the idea of taking out Ashley into Grant's head. He's one manipulating bastard.

And speaking of Ashley, how does she decide that now is the time to make a BIG move and then not even mention voting out Rob?
Old 05-12-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone else think Matt comes back in since we see a long shot of him in the previews on a thing of rocks near the ocean?
Old 05-12-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Ralph was still only half done when everyone else finished
Old 05-12-11, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
I just felt like there was no chance Grant would ever turn on Rob. Unlike Natalie, Grant never seemed to really bond with anyone else in the game but Rob. He would be there to help take out the returning RI player for Rob and he would also have a great chance at the final immunity challenge, giving Rob a much better chance at making the final 3....(thinking as I write this)...but then you have to worry about the jury and Grant may have a stronger case to win than Natalie, so I guess I can see why he would choose to take Grant out. It may make the road getting there a little harder, but winning the votes once he's there easier.

Rob must be a big fan of Inception. I loved the way he planted the idea of taking out Ashley into Grant's head. He's one manipulating bastard.

And speaking of Ashley, how does she decide that now is the time to make a BIG move and then not even mention voting out Rob?
Dino, small spoiler from the finale preview, but you didn't seem to mind before, so I hope you'll read this:

Spoiler:
I caught this from the preview. Could mean nothing, but sometimes they do let things slip. You see Natalie telling Ashley that it's going to be her, Rob, and Natalie to the end. That's the promise Nat is making to Ashley. Why would she say that if she wasn't totally with Rob? Nat knows that Rob's plan is Nat, her, and Phillip-not Ashley. So she is lying to Ashley (she wouldn't lie for no reason if she was flipping) and that certainly makes me think Rob made damned sure Natalie was with him before letting Grant go. It also fits with Ash not going after Rob, as she's probably believing in Nat and willing to just take her shot in the finals with Nat and Rob. Rob might have been thinking too much about the final 3 too soon, without thinking, as you pointed out, that if Grant won the final immunity, and he certainly has a better chance than Nat or Ash would, that Grant would have taken Rob to the final 3-giving Rob a better chance. MAYBE Rob had just a little doubt that Grant would want to face Rob in the final 3. We saw on TV how loyal Grant was to Rob, but 2 strong males in the final 3 certainly would make Rob think either Grant might not want that if he won immunity at final 4 OR that it was riskier to go to the finals with another strong male. At this point, with the RI garbage, my head is hurting trying to think of all the things that might happen.
Old 05-12-11, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that may have been the first time Rob's ever felt guilty about a vote.
Old 05-12-11, 04:48 AM
Banned

Totally agree with nearly all of the posted comments, especially wirefan's analysis.

Ralph was just playing dumb with the challenge. He purposely threw the big lead so that he would seem less threatening if he re-entered the game. The only flaw in his plan was that he lost count with so many people in the challenge.

I defended Ralph earlier in the game, but it was petty of him to make Andrea sleep on the ground (although his blunt, crude comment re: how Rob had used her was actually right on the mark...a little too late to do her any good). Ralph does seem to hold a grudge longer than most...I'd like to see his Ponderosa vids. I may have to revise my idea about whether he or David is a nicer person. Ralph's like a lot of good ole Southern boys...if you're his friend, he's great, but you don't want him for an enemy. Despite his shortcomings, he was really invested in the game...his King Tut was quivering a bit when it came time to burn his buff. It was time for him to go. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pull a Susan Hawk at the Finals.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-12-11 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 05:19 AM
Banned

Who deserves to win this season? I'd probably say Mike despite the objections of some posters about RI people returning. It's part of this season's game, and he's had to stay alive with his back to the wall several times (and he's won most of the challenges he's been in). Unlike Matt, Grant, or Andrea, he hasn't made dumb moves (unless people count giving the family reunion to the other tribe...which actually looks like a pretty good move at this point with Ralph & Steve gone).

Rob might be deserving this season, but that's not saying much. It's like pitting a high-schooler against grade-schoolers; he''s a lot better, but he ought to be. I think Rob would probably be in control even if this were his first season instead of his fourth.

I've grown fond of Rob over the season mainly because he makes such interesting (and honest) observations about how stupid his teammates are & how easy it is to control them. Had to LOL at his comments about how their stupidity is making him work harder to do 'the dirty work' of having to run back & forth manipulating each person & making them distrust the others. With his ten years' experience, he has developed a good sense of whom is the biggest threat who needs to go & who is in his pocket. He also knows when to adjust his plan when things go wrong, and even manages to let others think it's their idea (making them feel more secure). The guy is Playa Supreme and is either a great hypnotist or one of the best salesmen ever seen.

It is jawdropping to see how each of his tribe thinks that they are "the One". Poor, dumb Grant...even after seeing Andrea tossed aside, he thought he was 100% safe. And the poster who mentioned Ashley...who seems to have a little handle on what's going on...still didn't seem to consider voting out Rob as her big move (as someone else pointed out). I can understand the young chicks being starstruck with Rob & succumbing to his smooth talk (he's a perfect Satan to their Eves...playing on their egos), but you'd think that a former NFL player would be immune to that. Grant's trust of Rob (despite acknowledging his own physical threat he poses to the others) plays into the dumb jock stereotype; he evidently thinks male bonding trumps game moves. Rob probably does really like the guy, but as he says, he's not out there to make friends. The reactions to the blindsides are hilarious...the "how could this happen to me" sense of "betrayal". Grant still didn't seem to realize that Rob was the deciding factor in his ouster ("It could have been Phil...It could have been Rob"). Grant should have viewed Rob as he did NFL opponents; friends before & after the game, but enemies on the field. Grant dropped his head when Andrea was crying while talking about trusting people while they were looking her in the eye and lying: Guess he knows how it feels now.

The casting of so much eye candy may be great for beefcake & bikini fans, but it makes for some dull viewing. No wonder Phillip has gotten so much air time. He may or may not be a nutcase, but he's better TV than the young Omes. Too bad the tribes weren't more equally divided age-wise, but you have to give Rob credit for taking full advantage of the gift he was given once the Omes got the numbers. It does make the move to get rid of Russell look like the turning point despite the fact that Grant nearly singlehandedly won the key challenges for the Omes. After that, all Rob had to do was keep his young'uns in line. I doubt that anyone else could have done it so masterfully.

Might as well pull for Rob to win. Even with his unfair experience advantage (more than any player in Survivor history) and the ease of the second half of the game, he's still done more than anybody else in this bad season. And maybe this will be his last season (although I thought that after his second & third appearances so who knows?).

The reunion show could be a hoot if Jeff would quiz Rob's tribe about how they allowed themselves to be so easily manipulated by Rob & why they didn't see how he was in total control (and why they thought they would be safe personally), but the last few reunion shows have been disappointing IMO.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-12-11 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 05:27 AM
Banned

BTW...what did Grant say when he picked up his torch? It sounded like, "Which one...?"
Old 05-12-11, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, but as of now, Mike has almost zero credentials to be the winner of this game. He's done nothing special, he didn't stand out in his tribe even as much as Grant did in his (or Rob) and the dude is a Marine. Unlike Matt, he's never had to actually win at RI, he's merely needed to survive. That he did win, when he didn't have to,means nothing-especially since, as has been pointed out many times in these threads, the RI challenges so far have been very weak. Mike didn't have any special strategy that stood out and got his butt voted out. If Mike had game, he would have gotten Matt to quietly flip and not given him so much room to think about it to the point that he kind of chickened out.

Now, could Mike win? If he wins RI and then 2 immunity challenges in a row, he would FINALLY have the resume, even with my personal hatred for the RI players, but it probably won't matter what I think, because the Zaps almost certainly would give him the money over anyone else, because they hate Omepete and think that awarding Mike the money would somehow redeem their tribe. It wouldn't, they're tribe sucked eggs and nothing is going to change that.

If any of the Zaps could swing to, say, Rob, even though I think he'll fall short of the final 3 still, it might be David. He wasn't really treated all that well by his own tribe, he seems to have his own opinion (not as bitter), and he might be willing to not vote based on tribe, but on all around game play. Maybe.
Old 05-12-11, 05:59 AM
Banned

Dolphin, you make some good points about Mike. I agree that if he were to return and then win 2 immunity challenges, he would be deserving since there's no way that any of the Omes want to be sitting next to him at the Finals. Rob's the clear favorite...he's still got the idol to play while convincing others to get rid of whomever comes back in, and then he just needs to win one more challenge (against Nat, Ashley, & Phillip...who'd bet against Rob in that scenario)?

Rob's still not a lock, though. A strong competitor (and all 4 RI inhabitants have shown ability in challenges), could win immunity twice. If Andrea comes back & doesn't win, the girls MIGHT flip for her (although unlikely in Nat's case...she seems totally mesmerized by Rob). Phillip could be persuaded if Andrea could convince Ashley or Nat to hold their noses long enough to talk to him. If the girls were smart enough to "run the numbers" as Rob does, they'd see that Rob has the superior jury argument that he has been in control of the entire operation (and has busted his gut to win immunity). The girls' best bet would be to go the the Finals together or with two of them beside Phillip.
Old 05-12-11, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Dolphin, you make some good points about Mike. I agree that if he were to return and then win 2 immunity challenges, he would be deserving since there's no way that any of the Omes want to be sitting next to him at the Finals. Rob's the clear favorite...he's still got the idol to play while convincing others to get rid of whomever comes back in, and then he just needs to win one more challenge (against Nat, Ashley, & Phillip...who'd bet against Rob in that scenario)?

Rob's still not a lock, though. A strong competitor (and all 4 RI inhabitants have shown ability in challenges), could win immunity twice. If Andrea comes back & doesn't win, the girls MIGHT flip for her (although unlikely in Nat's case...she seems totally mesmerized by Rob). Phillip could be persuaded if Andrea could convince Ashley or Nat to hold their noses long enough to talk to him. If the girls were smart enough to "run the numbers" as Rob does, they'd see that Rob has the superior jury argument that he has been in control of the entire operation (and has busted his gut to win immunity). The girls' best bet would be to go the the Finals together or with two of them beside Phillip.
Believe me, no one knows that Rob's not a lock more than me outside of his immediate family. I want him to win, which quite literally is usually the kiss of death for someone on Survivor. Hey, I was rooting for Kelly Wigglesworth to win (and still think she should have won), so I'm used to my "horse" losing the Survivor race. Which is why I honestly think he won't even make the final 3. It's just set up too nicely for me. I fully expect it all to go down in flames within the first hour of the finale on Sunday.

Just hoping that at least an Ometepe wins other than Phil. The guy's crazy-even if he's hamming it up some, because he's figured out they all want to take him to the end (and I'm not a racist).
Old 05-12-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Which is why I honestly think he won't even make the final 3. It's just set up too nicely for me. I fully expect it all to go down in flames within the first hour of the finale on Sunday.

Just hoping that at least an Ometepe wins other than Phil. The guy's crazy-even if he's hamming it up some, because he's figured out they all want to take him to the end (and I'm not a racist).
I mentioned it last week, but I think Phillip's comments last week about having this great speech to be used against Rob in a jury vote was a bit of foreshadowing. Seems certain we're going to hear this so I'm assuming the two of them will be there at the end.
Old 05-12-11, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I mentioned earlier this year that I'm not a huge Rob fan, but he has played a masterful game. To lose to Mike or to Matt just seems wrong; neither one had to play Survivor with the other members of the jury.
I think that Rob is playing the EXACT same game as Russel played. He is more smooth at it, but it is the EXACT same game. For the people that were on Rob's team, he is burning every relationship he made. Both Andrea and Grant thought they were VERY tight with Rob and Rob burned them. All the people left think they are VERY tight with Rob, yet Rob is going to have to burn them too...

I cannot believe that when it was down to 6, none of the 5 people left thought to get Rob out. The ONLY thing I can think of why they haven't is that they think they can beat him in the end. Funny, but I think Phillip might be playing the game VERY smart being the bad crazy guy who gets to the final three and all of a sudden puts out a great level argument that Rob did all the dirty work and I pretended to be the crazy guy. Its a long shot, but it may work for him.

I personally would love to see Matt come back, win the final immunity and vote off Rob. I would not care who won after that.

Rob = Russel
Old 05-12-11, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Howie2000
If there was ever 1 Survivor jury who had every reason to be bitter and spiteful it is this one. If you start hoarding food from people and make them sleep on the ground you deserve whatever they throw at you from the jury.
Agreed. Rob is banking on the fact that there only be his tribe to pick from out of the final three. If Matt, or any of the other tribe make it back in the game, Rob is screwed.
Old 05-12-11, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Rob dun goofed by not voting out Natalie. Why was he so unwilling to write her name down, is he planning on trading in Ambuh for a newer model? Either way, terrible decision. Grant would have done anything Rob said where Natalie will always listen to that queef. Not taking into account the RI winner, it's going to be 2v2 instead of 3v1.
Think about it. Your in the final 4. That when people WILL start playing the game, even these idiots.

If Grant is next to you, he has a GREAT shot at winning the final immunity and taking Rob out. Why would Grant want to be standing next to Rob in the end?

Natalie has a VERY LOW chance of winning final immunity and up to this point, Natalie has told Rob EVERYTHING.

Beyond the final 4... Think about being in the final 3. Who would you want to be there with? Grant, the power-house nice guy who won SEVERAL immunity challenges? Or Natalie, the goat who did NOTHING the entire game. (Sure she got lucky once and one an immunity.)
Old 05-12-11, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by the big train
I think that may have been the first time Rob's ever felt guilty about a vote.
Pfft. I don't buy it. It was an act for the Jury.
Old 05-12-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I mentioned it last week, but I think Phillip's comments last week about having this great speech to be used against Rob in a jury vote was a bit of foreshadowing. Seems certain we're going to hear this so I'm assuming the two of them will be there at the end.
I hope that you're right. I can't see any speech that Phillip could make healing the wounds that he inflicted. He's not going to be able to say it was all pretend, because they won't care even if it was, or a lot of it was. He went way to far if this was his strategy. The Zaps wouldn't give him a single vote simply for what he did to Steve by saying on national tv that he was a racist.

If Rob makes the jury against a non RI player, I don't believe he'll suffer the same fate as Russell. What in the heck is Rob supposed to do? You need to vote out your friends eventually. He's not rubbing their faces in it and he hasn't been a bully--that separates him from Russell. I think a guy with the character of Grant will realize that in the end and not just vote against Rob for revenge.

But, again, I just don't even see him in the final 3 because I've been hoping for it too much. He really won me over when he and Amber dominated the Amazing Race (which they absolutely should have won).
Old 05-12-11, 07:01 AM

He really won me over when he and Amber dominated the Amazing Race (which they absolutely should have won).
This is the reason I don't want him to win. He really does have a VERY unfare advantage. The guy has been on the show 3 times in the past and has been on a couple other reality shows.

Then he gets on this one and gets pared up with a tribe of young people who have no worldly experience. Natalie is what, 18? Come on... She could be lead to walk off a cliff of Rob wanted.

If Rob does not win this season, I am sure the producers will put him on again and again until he wins.
Old 05-12-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8vette
I think that Rob is playing the EXACT same game as Russel played. He is more smooth at it, but it is the EXACT same game. For the people that were on Rob's team, he is burning every relationship he made. Both Andrea and Grant thought they were VERY tight with Rob and Rob burned them. All the people left think they are VERY tight with Rob, yet Rob is going to have to burn them too...
I disagree. That's the game. When it came down to 6 they knew they had to vote each other out. All the Ometepe were tight together so any move would have been a blind side. What was Rob supposed to do? Not vote for anyone?

I say Grant and Andrea still vote for Rob. Grant's not even sure if Rob was the one that voted him out.

But I think Rob made a bad move voting out Grant. I knew that was what they had to do but Rob should have never told Natalie how he had her back. You shouldn't make those kind of promises. Grant was much more loyal and now if Mike comes back he has a better chance of winning both immunity challenges and going to the final 3 (this is assuming the RI winner goes back in the game immediately).

However, I do think in the end Natalie will stay true, it's just not as guaranteed as Grant. I still see a Natalie, Rob, Phillip final 3... Rob should win unless Phillip goes normal on us like he said he would. Natalie will pull in the zero votes. She'll look like the one that stabbed Ashley in the back when that goes down too.
Old 05-12-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How come no one is talking about how incredibly hot Natalie is? I said back in like week 3 that this cast was the best looking ever. Now seeing her more (she was barely on the show till a few weeks ago), she's stunning and she doesn't even have any makeup on, hair isn't done, etc.

Btw, i'm ashamed that no one here has posted a screen grab of her bending over after eating her meal.
Old 05-12-11, 07:48 AM
Banned

Then you agree with Rob's assessment that he's crazy...just not "N-word crazy".

I'd love for one of the contestants to say, "I wasn't racist until I came here & met Phil."
Old 05-12-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm convinced that Ralph really doesn't know how to read (spell) based on his performance in working that puzzle.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.