How I Met Your Mother - "Landmarks" - 5/09/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-09-11, 09:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

Barney's reaction to waking up in bed with that girl was the hardest I've laughed at this show in a long time. I think I rewatched it 4 or 5 times.
Old 05-09-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother - "Landmarks" - 5/09/11

As per usual, Barney was great.

I enjoy watching in spite of Ted. If this show were built around Barney, it'd be so much better.

(Spin-off: Ted gets married and moved and it's the same group, but built around Barney's exploits.)
Old 05-09-11, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching the NBA playoffs switched to this, saw they are STILL going on about the Arcadia, switched right back to the basketball, I am done with this show, and I will agree a show based around Barney would be awesome.
Old 05-09-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
I was watching the NBA playoffs switched to this, saw they are STILL going on about the Arcadia, switched right back to the basketball, I am done with this show, and I will agree a show based around Barney would be awesome.
Well, they resolved that storyline tonight. And honestly, this season has been one of the best the show's had, so not sure why you're "done" with it, but whatever. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 05-09-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Pretty lackluster episode.
Old 05-09-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty lackluster episode.
Yeah I'm glad the arcadia storyline is over.
Old 05-09-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loved the Dr. Evil laugh.
Old 05-10-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Well, they resolved that storyline tonight. And honestly, this season has been one of the best the show's had, so not sure why you're "done" with it, but whatever. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Well possibly because the premise is wearing thin centering around a character who is exhausting to watch as he ditches yet another woman who it turns out ISN'T the mother? Ted is the weakest of the 5. I really wish his story was a peripheral as possible to everyone else's.

And the whole thing with Robin coming over to the table to deliver the message for Barney was possibly one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time - licking each wing and then tossing them on the floor one by one.
Old 05-10-11, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well possibly because the premise is wearing thin centering around a character who is exhausting to watch as he ditches yet another woman who it turns out ISN'T the mother? Ted is the weakest of the 5. I really wish his story was a peripheral as possible to everyone else's.
I couldnt have said it better myself, and describing Ted as exhausting is an understatement,but since Two and Half Men's Alan is done, he has become tv's ultimate douche bag. Has everyone forgotten the episode last season with the dinner party?
Old 05-10-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure how both of you managed to misinterpret my post, but well done. educator_bhoy said he was "done with the show," and I was simply responding to giving up on the show now, when it has actually had a creative resurgence. This season has been great and while the Arcadian story bogged it down a little, that hasn't ruined what is basically the best season the show has had in years.

Do I think they need to wrap up the show and have Ted meet the mother? Definitely. Do I think Ted is obnoxious and the worst character on the show? Without a doubt. But do either of those have anything to do with the quality of the show's current season? Absolutely not.

I hate Ted and he is definitely the weakest link, but my point was that giving up on the show now seems a little ridiculous since the majority of the season has been superb.
Old 05-10-11, 12:24 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Do I think they need to wrap up the show and have Ted meet the mother? Definitely.
Well the show was renewed for two more seasons, so we may have a long wait.
Old 05-10-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I don't think Ted is the best character on the show, but he's a decent guy who cares about and helps his friends and has issues with long-term commitment. They just play up his douchey hipster stuff for laughs (and it makes me laugh every time).

I don't get the hate. Barney is a complete user asshole and he's lucky to have any friends at all. Yet he's the most popular character. Don't get me wrong, I love Barney as much as anyone else. But Ted is easily the better human being and the fact that he IS a nice guy goes a long way with me.
Old 05-10-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't think Ted is the best character on the show, but he's a decent guy who cares about and helps his friends and has issues with long-term commitment. They just play up his douchey hipster stuff for laughs (and it makes me laugh every time).

I don't get the hate. Barney is a complete user asshole and he's lucky to have any friends at all. Yet he's the most popular character. Don't get me wrong, I love Barney as much as anyone else. But Ted is easily the better human being and the fact that he IS a nice guy goes a long way with me.

Marshall and Lily have always been my favorites. But you're absolutely right. Barney is a real jerk a lot of the times and treats women like crap, and yet everyone loves him. Ted is just an idiot a lot of the times, and gets hated on. I find him just sort of boring, if anything, and he usually provides the least amount of laughs (which is why I hate his character), but in a real-world context he is a far better person than Barney, hands down.
Old 05-10-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^Except this is a TV show and I don't care about who the nicest guy is. Barney's escapades are both unrealistic and douchey.. but it's funny. The things they play up on Ted for laughs are just lame. Yes I'm more likely to be friends with a Ted but that doesn't mean I'd watch him on TV.

But with that said, while I don't like Ted as a character... he doesn't even come close to ruining the show for me. There are plenty scenes of him being a douche but there are also a lot of thoughtful moments that come from his storylines.
Old 05-10-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The secret is in the balance. If all the shows were about Barney's escapades we would get tired of it. In previous seasons when the show was heavily centered in Ted's relationships it was boring. This season they have balanced the episodes, we have Marshall's dad dead, Barney's dad, Ted and this girl, and Lilly getting drunk and trying to make up with Robin.
Old 05-10-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time they show the Arcadia I wonder, "How is the entire front of the building covered with graffiti, even 10 stories up nowhere near a ledge or window? Is Spider-Man a tagger?"

For those complaining about it taking forever to introduce Ted's wife, the show isn't really about that, any more than "M*A*S*H" was about the Korean War.
Old 05-10-11, 09:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Every time they show the Arcadia I wonder, "How is the entire front of the building covered with graffiti, even 10 stories up nowhere near a ledge or window? Is Spider-Man a tagger?"
Have you ever been to NYC?
Old 05-10-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For those complaining about it taking forever to introduce Ted's wife, the show isn't really about that, any more than "M*A*S*H" was about the Korean War.
Fallible argument. The title of the show wasn't called "The Korean War."
Old 05-11-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Fallible argument. The title of the show wasn't called "The Korean War."
Nor did every episode start with a "Kids..." narration framing every entry with the telling of a story with the excuse of leading to "how I met your mother."

I'd actually be happier if we at least had some backstory to explain how Barney became part of the group. Has that been shown? There was a little bit after Marshall and Lily got married where I only caught the show sporadically at best so maybe I missed that.
Old 05-11-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd actually be happier if we at least had some backstory to explain how Barney became part of the group. Has that been shown? There was a little bit after Marshall and Lily got married where I only caught the show sporadically at best so maybe I missed that.
They've covered that.
Old 05-11-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kind of agree but the thing is is that this show IS about how Ted met the mother. They're just drawing the story out. The point is that every big moment and decision in Ted's life all leads up to him meeting the mother. So yes they're dragging the story out with all these seasons but I rather see the twists and turns of his life instead of having him already settled down and dating the woman he's going to marry.

Yes, there are filler episodes... but every show has that.

If Ted had already met the mother at this point his journey would be over and there would be no conflict in his story. Unless you wanted years of them breaking up and getting back together again.
Old 05-11-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goat3001
So yes they're dragging the story out with all these seasons but I rather see the twists and turns of his life instead of having him already settled down and dating the woman he's going to marry.
Technically it is the story about a woman he knocked up twice. Nothing has indicated that the mother is, was or will be Ted's wife.
Old 05-11-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Technically it is the story about a woman he knocked up twice. Nothing has indicated that the mother is, was or will be Ted's wife.
Talk about a cliffhanger!
Old 05-11-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TWIST. A friend and I thought the best ending would be if near the finale Ted gets drunk and has another one night stand with Winnie Cooper... and the final shot of the show is her running into McLaren's and telling Ted she was pregnant.. cut to Ted standing with the entire gang and having shocked look on their face and then cut to the kids and the voice over saying "and kids, that's the story of how I met your mother"
Old 05-11-11, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.