Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargate Universe -- Series Finale -- "Gauntlet" -- 5/09/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you miss Stargate Universe?
Yes, it was really hitting it's stride and had so much potential.
55.81%
Meh, It was watchable, but I didn't love it. I still would have watched though.
13.95%
No, I really wanted to like it, but I struggled watching it.
16.28%
No, IMO it was the worst Stargate show
6.98%
I miss SG-1 and SG-A, but I won't miss SGU
6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Pursued across the galaxy by drone ships programmed to hunt and destroy technology, Destiny and her crew are out of options. Blocked at every turn, Colonel Young and his people must stop running … and stand up and fight.

Episode 20 of 20

This is the final produced episode of the show. The show is hitting the TV graveyard after tonight.

Here's an interview with Brian J. Smith (Scott) who talks about tonight's unintentional series finale:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,7740166.story

Here's an excerpt that vaguely describes how it ends. It doesn't give anything away:

Spoiler:
Smith told me the episode ends with “probably the biggest cliffhanger that has ever happened on our show.” He admitted that some of the characters find a resolution of sorts, but overall, “It’s like a piece of music that just sort of stops in the middle of a measure in a way. Do you know what I mean? You still get the sense that there could be more.”

Many viewers will be upset with the cliffhanger, but I feel “Guantlet” makes for an optimistic if bittersweet series closer. (You’ll have to let me know what you think after watching it Monday.)
There are several touching, emotional scenes and even little moments that give the characters (and me) some closure, from Eli meeting with his mother (marvelously played by Glynis Davies and Blue) to Varro (Mike Dopud) and T.J. (Alaina Huffman) locking eyes in what neither of them wants to be the final time to a blind Dr. Lisa Park (Jennifer Spence) gazing, through someone else’s eyes, across a serene pond back on Earth.

Later in the episode, Col. Young (Ferreira) gathers his main crew members—Rush (Robert Carlyle), Scott, T.J., Greer (Jamil Walker Smith), Wray (Ming-Na), Eli and Chloe (Elyse Levesque)—for a dinner before they embark on that final, crazy thing they have to do.

“We’ve been through a helluva lot together, that’s for sure,” Young says, beginning a toast that I will write more about after the episode airs. It’s a moving tribute to the people around the table.

The scene was the final one shot for the episode, according to Smith, and turned out to be prophetic.

“The last scene that we shot is a really poignant scene … and it kind of felt like the end,” Smith said. “Louis is giving this speech. We’re in the mess [hall] and he is talking to everybody and you could see it in everybody’s eyes that this might be it.
Old 05-09-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stargate Universe -- Series Finale -- "Gauntlet" -- 5/09/11

I like this show, like the dark concept of people being stranded on an old ghost ship, etc. Execution could be better. Liked it better than Atlantis, which I gave up on mostly because I really disliked some of the characters and didn't like the Wraith junk. Loved SG-1 in it's day.
Old 05-09-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Stargate.

I really thought this show started to hit it's stride this year, if only they had started this way, it may have been back.
Old 05-09-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

RIP Stargate also

I'm going to miss SGU. I thought the 2nd half of season 2 was really hitting it's stride and I would have love to have seen the entire 5 year arc of this mission. It's too bad that season 2 got off to a slow start and the ratings were never there. I loved having a dark and heavily serialized Stargate show.
Old 05-09-11, 04:31 PM

Cool a Cliffhanger, with this and from the looks of it House. My GF is going to start following what I do. This is why I do not watch live TV anymore. Given that and off my soap box. I like this show.My only main issue is the ammo. When we go shooting I can shoot 10,000 rounds in a short time. These guys have been going at it for sometime.
Old 05-09-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's too bad that season 2 got off to a slow start and the ratings were never there. I loved having a dark and heavily serialized Stargate show.
I thought this was a pretty good article, if a bit whiney, about it's cancellation:

How Wrestling is Killing Science Fiction
Old 05-09-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
I thought this was a pretty good article, if a bit whiney, about it's cancellation:

How Wrestling is Killing Science Fiction
That guy was trying too hard to be nice to them. I'll be more direct.

I will never watch another show on this channel live. Not even Blood and Chrome. I will wait until the series is complete and watch it through Netflix. I will not have the rug pulled out from under me again, and certainly not in order for them to have more time for professional wrestling.
Old 05-09-11, 08:29 PM

I never cared for SGU but the problem is even if Jason doesn't watch SyFy he'll still be supporting it as part of his cable pack likely.

If he's just OTA and Netflix then props to him - that's the best way to get at these people until ala cart cable comes along.

I've gone OTA largely in part of this reality TV trash the article author mentions and TV on DVD for what I want from cable.

Make new Futurama = Gets my money
Makee new Curb Your Enthusiasm = my money again
Emply Louis CK to make something = money

More wrestling or fattest loser trash then I'll just keep my money.
Old 05-09-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
I never cared for SGU but the problem is even if Jason doesn't watch SyFy he'll still be supporting it as part of his cable pack likely.
Yeah, it's an empty symbolic gesture. But it's all I gots
Old 05-10-11, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a fun ride Stargate.

Originally Posted by Jason

I will never watch another show on this channel live. Not even Blood and Chrome. I will wait until the series is complete and watch it through Netflix. I will not have the rug pulled out from under me again, and certainly not in order for them to have more time for professional wrestling.
I'm right there with you. As long as they continue pushing wrestling or that vapid fucking Ghost Hunters or Fact or Fiction bs they've completely lost me as a viewer.
Old 05-10-11, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

This was a good episode, but it sucks that things ended like this with everything unresolved.

I thought the show really hit its stride once they got past all the internal conflict episodes (like all the civilians/vs military stuff). The more serious tone was a welcome change from the overly-cheesy SGA, and the SGU characters were much better developed in just two seasons than the SGA folks were in five. (and there were many more "core" characters in SGU than in SGA)
Old 05-10-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They ended on a real downer. Every minute they just piled on the grief. Park..blind. Ming Na broke up with her girlfriend. A kid has to stay with a bad mom. Eli's gonna die. Roll credits.
Old 05-10-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So long SyFy, it was fun knowing you.
Old 05-10-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say Genius Eli lives, figures out how to fix the pod, Destiny completes the jump, everyone wakes up safely, and while Earth still can't get the planet to let them dial to Destiny, it doesn't matter because Destiny comes across a planet that allows them to dial Earth. It takes some doing, but Rush and Eli figure it out. Gate dialed. Kino goes through. Success. If the show continues, Rush points out there's a mystery at hand and they should finish investigating it. Once done, they now know they're able to return and dial back to the Earth. If the show doesn't continue, Rush and Eli rig Destiny to transmit observation data back to Earth using stone-like technology, but everyone goes home. Or maybe Rush stays on the ship by himself, with the occasional visit home via stones. THEN you can roll credits.

This is Stargate. We don't end on downers, even if I have to fill in the rest in my own mind.
Old 05-10-11, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jason

Welcome to the Brotherhood. "I" do not have live TV at my home or office (one in the same). I do have it all on 18TB of disk. when my GF moved in she wanted live TV. After last night. End of May its gone (she pays for it).

They left it hanging and they are not even going to give it a 2 hour movie. Come on. I like the show and watched it with her. I was till last night even going to buy the blu-rays. Why?
Old 05-10-11, 12:33 PM

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Derrich
They ended on a real downer. Every minute they just piled on the grief. Park..blind. Ming Na broke up with her girlfriend. A kid has to stay with a bad mom. Eli's gonna die. Roll credits.
Why would they change now? In two seasons, the show has had one maybe two borderline happy endings.

I will still miss the show, which is something I thought I would never say before the last ten episodes. It really picked up and focused with the second half of the season.
Old 05-10-11, 01:22 PM

The obvious next episode is:

-Eli gives up on fixing the chair and resigns himself to die.
-He spends time with Ginn
-Together they realize that Destiny doesn't have enough power to make it to the next galaxy (insert black hole/gravity explanation here)
-Panicked, Ginn and Eli realize they need a new solution
-They figure out a way to disable all the drone command ships
-Eli implements the plan, sitting in the captains chair with Ginn helping pilot the ship
-Big space battle with Destiny vs 20 command ships.
-Eli gets in close enough to send the 'sleep' command, its relayed to all the enemy ships, disabling all the drones, and saving the galaxy.
-Now that Destiny is safe, he wakes everyone up and they continue the mission.

D
Old 05-10-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched this.. Yeah SyFy can suck it. Nothing worth watching on that channel now.
Old 05-10-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode and I think it was a fitting ending in a way.

So sad to see this show go as it was getting good. Damnit SyFy.
Old 05-11-11, 07:21 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I miss SG-1 and SG-A, but I won't miss SGU
My wife and I watched about 9 episodes of this new Stargate hoping it would be good, discovered it was turning into a fucking soap opera in space, and abandoned it. I think the last episode we saw was Life, where the one guy was using the stones to screw the other guy's wife. What a bunch of complete excrement!

They need to concentrate on the movie (or movies) they were going to make to wrap up SGA. -kd5-
Old 05-11-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It got a lot better this season. Better than SGA I think.
Old 05-11-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

it was getting better
but the syphilis channel is more concerned with wrestling, ghosts, and shitty made for tv movies than good programming
Old 05-12-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I TOLD you ALL that after the name change they should burn in HELL. Believe me now.

Now Imagine if they had cancelled Star Trek-TNG in its first 3 yrs when it more or less sucked.....
Old 05-17-11, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shady12
Just watched this.. Yeah SyFy can suck it. Nothing worth watching on that channel now.
I share the frustration of canceled shows and that "SyFy" can suck it, but there is still one thing I will watch on this channel and it is Eureka. I really enjoy that show.

Stargate:U was a bit of a snoozer at first (I literally snoozed while watching some of the early episodes), but it really picked up at the end and I enjoyed it. So many good shows are canceled and so many more God-awful show remain on the air......it's the way of the universe.
Old 05-17-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair, Syfy renewed them for a second season when the general buzz was that it sucked bad. Then they let the first half of the second season go while there was some, but little improvement. I hate that Syfy canceled the show. But it's not their fault it took the creative people 1 1/2 seasons to make decent episodes. Had the show started like the second half of the second season, I'm sure we'd be looking forward to season 3 right about now.

Like Enterprise, I think they lost the majority of their viewers before it got good. Oddly, both shows didn't pick up steam till they were 3/4 of the way done. I think it was too little, too late. And I blame that on the people running the show, not the network. Though they do have plenty to be blamed for outside of this decision!

Of course this is all working under the theory that "suits" weren't the ones responsible for the shows earlier problems. Which could obviously be false.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.