Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargate Universe -- Series Finale -- "Gauntlet" -- 5/09/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you miss Stargate Universe?
Yes, it was really hitting it's stride and had so much potential.
55.81%
Meh, It was watchable, but I didn't love it. I still would have watched though.
13.95%
No, I really wanted to like it, but I struggled watching it.
16.28%
No, IMO it was the worst Stargate show
6.98%
I miss SG-1 and SG-A, but I won't miss SGU
6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Stargate Universe -- Series Finale -- "Gauntlet" -- 5/09/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stargate Universe -- Series Finale -- "Gauntlet" -- 5/09/11

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Of course this is all working under the theory that "suits" weren't the ones responsible for the shows earlier problems. Which could obviously be false.
The suits were not to blame for the shows early creative decisions. I read numerous interviews and blog entries from the creators of the show, and they were proud of its soap-opera style, and they were more than a little snippy with fans who didn't share their vision (and tuned out). For a while they were pretty insulting to those former fans.

I feel bad for those who enjoyed the show, but only to the extent that those fans are willing to acknowledge that for many of us Stargate already ended years ago, when Atlantis was canceled.
Old 05-17-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Finally watched it. While I certainly wanted it to continue, I'm glad it got a more or less proper ending. That's more than you can say for V, FlashForward, The Cape, No Ordinary Family, and The Event.

I think it would have worked better if they had gone into the pods knowing it would be a thousand year trip. That would definitely send them into uncharted territory and have been much more final. I wonder if the last sequence with Eli was a reshoot after the final curtain fell for the show?
Old 05-18-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
The suits were not to blame for the shows early creative decisions.
There you are then. I'm certainly no fan of Syfy. But in this case, I do think they gave the show a fair shot. It was complete rubbish in the first season and should have been canceled then. There are plenty of reasons to hate Syfy. I just don't think the cancellation of Stargate Universe is one of them.
Old 05-18-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My take is that both the suits and showrunners misread what made BSG popular, creating a new show that was purposefully dark, dreary and full of doom, a show with no heroes, few happy endings and tons of internal fighting. As if that was the new formula for success... when in fact BSG was a good (and sometimes great) show more in spite of those things than strictly because of them.
Old 05-18-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad it had the cliff-hanger it did instead of one where everyone is about to die. At least with this one, you can say Eli solved the issue, got into the pod & woke up with everyone in 3 years.

Probably not intended but the lights being shut off all over the ship sort of symbolized the lights going off for the show.