DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Fringe -- Season Finale -- "The Day We Died" -- 5/06/11 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/590468-fringe-season-finale-day-we-died-5-06-11-a.html)

wearetheborg 05-08-11 08:44 PM

Re: Fringe -- Season Finale -- "The Day We Died" -- 5/06/11

Everything upto Wlater sending the machine back made sense. Wiping Peter out did not, I wonder how they will explain away the paradoxes already mentioned here.

ATX 05-08-11 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg (Post 10762438)
Everything upto Wlater sending the machine back made sense. Wiping Peter out did not, I wonder how they will explain away the paradoxes already mentioned here.

Peter dissapearing was setup in the earlier scene by Walter talking about reprocussions

that was the extent of it

Walter/Peter had a whole discussion that we never saw, when Peter came back to present he knew "what the machine was" etc...

obviously they'll have to go into more detail next season about all this stuff, also it goes without saying that Peter is not "killed off" just like Olivia didn't get killed off as they are main characters

just think Terminator, and you'll be alright...:D

wearetheborg 05-08-11 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ATX (Post 10762534)

just think Terminator, and you'll be alright...:D

The Terminator thing is the consistency theory that Walter was talking about...Peter making a different choice is not consistent.

Josh-da-man 05-09-11 08:04 AM

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the words "HOPE" and "WATER" appearing in the revamped title sequence along with the rest of the Fringe sciences.

Superman07 05-09-11 08:42 AM

So I don't get the sense that this was a hugely popular episode. I didn't think it was bad, but I think the previous episode would have served as a better season finale. However, I do feel like this could have served as a suitable series finale in the event that the show had not been renewed.

It does seem puzzling that Peter was confused what happened when his present day self entered his future body, but then it was like that never happened and everything was okay.

A few things I would note:

- Walternate killing Olivia like that was brutally cold.
- I'm not convinced that anybody they know took the machine parts back. It's possible, but as Peter said he wasn't entirely sure who. And if it was that important why put a piece of paper you have to connect the ends to figure out. Put a note that says: "Dear self..."

Did anybody else spot the nurse that helped deliver Fauxlivia's baby the other week? I noticed her in the background of the team getting the bullet out of Peter.

BearFan 05-09-11 09:20 AM

I liked the finale, looking back to previous episodes that dealt with making choices lead up nicely to this. It sets up all kinds of possibilities for next year (really glad there is a next year, the past 2 1/2 seasons of this show have been up there with anyting in TV history).

ATX 05-09-11 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 10762888)
It does seem puzzling that Peter was confused what happened when his present day self entered his future body, but then it was like that never happened and everything was okay.

>>>Peters conciousness was only in the future for like 60 secs... the time was referenced back in the present in the machine room

A few things I would note:

- Walternate killing Olivia like that was brutally cold.

>>> Abrupt headshots are always great and effective

- but as Peter said he wasn't entirely sure who. And if it was that important why put a piece of paper you have to connect the ends to figure out. Put a note that says: "Dear self..."

>>> LOL, well...

Did anybody else spot the nurse that helped deliver Fauxlivia's baby the other week? I noticed her in the background of the team getting the bullet out of Peter.

>>> nice catch

redrum 05-09-11 04:53 PM

what i don't understand is why nobody in the present time remembers Peter anymore

superfro 05-09-11 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by redrum (Post 10763684)
what i don't understand is why nobody in the present time remembers Peter anymore

Isn't that really the big mystery at the end though? I don't think anybody is supposed to understand that at the moment.

redrum 05-09-11 05:11 PM

ya i guess it is

rw2516 05-09-11 07:00 PM

It's not confirmed they don't remember. One observer asks if they will remember him. Another replies it doesn't matter, he served his purpose.

ATX 05-09-11 09:35 PM

thats the point...

we not supposed to understand completely, gives the fans something to think/bitch about during the break :D

---

and they DON'T remember Peter, once he dissapeared it was like he was never there

the point of the observers even making the point was so you knew what was happenening in that scene after Peter dissapeared

redrum 05-09-11 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 10763843)
It's not confirmed they don't remember. One observer asks if they will remember him. Another replies it doesn't matter, he served his purpose.

"You were right. They don't remember Peter."

"How could they? He never existed. He served his purpose."

aintnosin 05-10-11 02:21 PM

I'm betting that no one remembers adult Peter. Our Walter never kidnapped him and saved his life, so he died in both universes as a child.

Superman07 05-10-11 02:53 PM

Maybe Peter disappearing wasn't the unspoken consequence. It's possible something else will happen that even the Observers did not have foreseen coming. As a result, they'll have to bring Peter back.

Aside from the Peter issue, we're still very much left with the dilemma of how to the two teams are supposed to work together. I don't see them necessarily stuck in the room. If I had to guess, I think Walternate still won't be able to get over Walter messing with the fabric of space time - even if that didn't include a Peter exchange - and he'll sabotage efforts to repair things. I hope that will lead to Fauxlivia, and the other two Fringe Team members uncovering his counter measures and then working with Olivia and Broyles to fix things.

Shannon Nutt 05-10-11 09:06 PM

Well, after than ending, they're definitely going to need to bring Christopher Lloyd back next season to explain it all. :)

Ayre 05-11-11 09:49 AM

Great AVClub interview with John Noble:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/john-noble,55690/

Superman07 05-11-11 09:54 AM

Hey, maybe they can bring the alternate universe John Scott back now. :lol:

Deftones 05-11-11 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by aintnosin (Post 10765190)
I'm betting that no one remembers adult Peter. Our Walter never kidnapped him and saved his life, so he died in both universes as a child.

That's a pretty good thought. :up:

Superman07 05-11-11 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ayre (Post 10766292)

That is a really good interview. I appreciate it when actors seem to be very involved with their work, as opposed to instances when hear of somebody who shows up, puts in their lines and goes home and yet never has a sense of what the show is about or how they fit into the larger picture. I think you can say Anna Torv has the same work ethic as John Noble from that interview as well base on the story he tells about the two of them working story/character components.

BearFan 05-11-11 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ayre (Post 10766292)

Great inteview. I hope this part comes true

.J. Abrams originally said, “I want six seasons,” but that was back before we even had the pilot. I think they’ll put an end date on it like they did with Lost, and that way we can go out really strongly and finish up as one of the great science-fiction series of all time. That would be my wish, rather than going on for 10 years then going [Snores.]

Superman07 05-11-11 01:19 PM

Yeah, I'd be good with an end date. This show is too good to get an abrupt ending without resolution to most of the story.

I know some of Same Weiss and his story was touched upon, but there hasn't been much discussion about his statement concerning "This is wrong. It isn't supposed to happen yet." He seems to have knowledge, or at least a conception of events that are meant to happen in a manner different than those held by the Observers.

Goldberg74 05-11-11 05:05 PM

Seth Gabel (who plays Lincoln) will be a series regular in Season 4. :banana:

Fringe Exclusive: Seth Gabel Returning Full-Time

Looks like someone’s going to take advantage of that fancy new “bridge” between universes next season on Fringe — and that someone is Seth Gabel!

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the actor — who has recurred the last two seasons as Bolivia’s “Over There” colleague, Lincoln Lee — will return in Season 4 as a full-fledged series regular.

In a March episode, viewers finally met Linc’s “Over Here” doppelganger — a mild-mannered FBI desk jockey. But I think it’s safe to say it’s the immensely popular alt-Linc who will be the version we see more of come fall.

This marks Gabel’s first full-time series gig since he starred as silver-spooned brat Jeremy Darling on ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Fringe fans will greet this news with open and loving arms. Feel free to back me up on that in the comments.

Navinabob 05-11-11 05:28 PM

With no kidnapping ever, why are the two universes fighting it out? There would be no reason to cross over, then no ripple effect destroying the alternate universe and then no reason for them to be in the same room talking anything over.

Nausicaa 05-11-11 06:49 PM

I thought the finale was okay. At first, I was kind of pissed by the time travel/Peter disappearing thing, but as I have always said, the writers will find a way! Mostly I just found it all very confusing - approaching non-sensical 'Lost' territory. One of this show's strengths is it stays (mostly) true to its internal logic. Hopefully they keep it that way.

One thing I really liked was the idea that the machines might have been sent back in time by Walter and Peter. The whole 'First People' thing was probably the only thing in this show that I actually thought, 'that is just stupid'. Prehistoric people developing otherworldly technology is a silly plotline IMO.

Can't wait for the next season!