The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Chapters 9 & 10" -- 05/02/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-02-11, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chapter 9 TRT: 6:06

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/KyzLWns2YMwib3o-Lwn5tw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/KyzLWns2YMwib3o-Lwn5tw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Chapter 10 TRT: 6:37

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/cui_4GUeuPhGGHiPWZZK5g"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/cui_4GUeuPhGGHiPWZZK5g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

---

I went ahead and started the thread for the final two chapters DJariya, hope you don't mind. I figured you might have checked for the chapters on Hulu, but for some reason they weren't showing up until just a few minutes ago (although they were up earlier), thus why you didn't start the thread earlier. It says the Air Date is 05/03/2011, so maybe that was part of the problem, not sure.
Old 05-02-11, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts
Re: The Confession (Kiefer Sutherland) -- "Chapters 9 & 10" -- 05/02/11

Cool, thanks KStub! I'm going to watch these later in the morning.
Old 05-02-11, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed the parts of Chapter 9 between The Confessor and The Priest, but felt that the flashback was a bit of a letdown. I wish they had tried to explain the circumstances of the mother's death through dialogue instead of a flashback with two unconvincing actors; the flashback also felt a little too long and sort of took away from what was going on in the confessional.

---

Chapter 10 though, was great. I was wondering how they'd continue to a second season, and this definitely opens it up to the possibility of a continuation, although I still think it would be best to just end it here.

I like how the Priest truly has changed and while he didn't want to die, believed that he had been forgiven by God and that he was a changed man. It was nice to see him not give in under pressure and waiver in his beliefs.

I disagree that the Priest is responsible for the deaths committed by the Confessor. Yes, he may have played a part in shaping who the Confessor became, but there's still the elements of freewill and personal morality, which I think they discussed in an earlier chapter. And there is still some good in the Confessor, since he let the one guy live; he doesn't have to follow this path, he chooses to.

Obviously though, the Confessor knows the Priest will continue to blame himself, despite his belief in freewill, and exacts even greater revenge that way. It seems a logical resolution to the series, especially since the Confessor ends up using that which the Priest has embraced (religion) against him.

I do think there is an exception for confession if the confessor tells the priest that they plan to harm another in the future, but I could be mistaken. If the series goes to a second season, I could see the Priest giving up everything just to stop the Confessor.

John Hurt's portrayal of sadness and desperation in these chapters was really remarkable.

---

I loved this exchange:

The Priest: "Are you going to keep your word?"
The Confessor: "Yes. But I didn't say anything about tomorrow."

Last edited by kstublen; 05-02-11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-02-11, 09:48 AM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts

The part in Ch9 that kstublen refers to didn't bother me nearly as much as it did him. I thought that scene was inline with the series and the actors were far better than those in the side story of the father he let live (the short "extra" with the father and the thug).

All in all this was a great series and I think it's a nice self-contained story.

I'll come back when more people have seen it.
Old 05-02-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed in that they were better actors than the side-story. I just think it ran on a little too long and while the guy playing a young Priest was fine, the wife was a little over-the-top I think.
Old 05-02-11, 10:01 AM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Agreed in that they were better actors than the side-story. I just think it ran on a little too long and while the guy playing a young Priest was fine, the wife was a little over-the-top I think.
That and the little kid kept reminding me of...

Spoiler:
Old 05-02-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Really solid finish to this series.

I actually have to agree with KStublen. While the flashback to young Priest and his mother didn't bother me as much as him, I think Confessor using dialogue to explain his Mother's suicide and seeing the anguish from Priest's face would have been alot more powerful. Plus, these episodes are so short anyways, I think we should have stayed with Confessor and Priest the entire time for that particular exchange. The previous flashbacks worked fine because they helped set up backstory on who Confessor was and his motives.

Chapter 10 was a great end. Although I like the idea of keeping the ending ambiguous, I think there is some room to continue the story if they choose to. The part that was great was Confessor believing that Priest had truly changed, but said that his abuse made him the way his is. I liked Confessor's line that he will send newspaper clippings to Priest to antagonize him and that he was the sanctity of the Confessional as protection.

Kiefer and John Hurt were top notch. For an experimental web series with 2 A list actors, I think the project was a success in which you could tell a short story weekly and still have the same dramatic impact as a weekly TV series.
Old 05-03-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Overall, excellent webseries that deserves an Emmy.

I am very grateful that I get to view this new era of entertainment
Old 05-04-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was some nasty revenge Confessor pulled on Priest.

I was really impressed with this series overall.