Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office -- Special 52 minute Episode -- "Goodbye Michael" -- 4/28/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you continue to watch The Office after Steve Carell leaves tonight?
Yes, It's still one of my favorite sitcoms and will watch until it actually ends.
82.57%
Yes, but I am done after season 7. Will not come back for season 8
7.34%
Nope. This will be my Series Finale. Without Steve Carell, The Office doesn't work
2.75%
No longer a fan of the show. Just came back to watch this episode.
7.34%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

The Office -- Special 52 minute Episode -- "Goodbye Michael" -- 4/28/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: The Office -- Special 52 minute Episode -- "Goodbye Michael" -- 4/28/11

The one thing I was wondering about was...dammit bring back Timothy Olyphant for a stint or two. I know he's a travelling salesman, and he's doing Justified now, but man that's just mean...he was awesome when he was on, and he's gone with no word on coming back. Same thing with Miner (yeah he probably got canned, but still). The Office brings on great guest stars that actually work for Dunder Mifflin but then they just...disappear.

Also I always wanted Michael to kick off a meeting with this song, but saying DUNDER instead of Thunder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1cwycSWq0
Old 04-30-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The one thing I was wondering about was...dammit bring back Timothy Olyphant for a stint or two. I know he's a travelling salesman, and he's doing Justified now, but man that's just mean...he was awesome when he was on, and he's gone with no word on coming back. Same thing with Miner (yeah he probably got canned, but still). The Office brings on great guest stars that actually work for Dunder Mifflin but then they just...disappear.
He'll probably be back again at some point. David Koechner went several years between guest appearances so clearly it's established cannon that the traveling salesman travels a lot.
Old 05-01-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has Bob Vance been on any of the episodes this season? I thought they'd at least have him with Phyllis on the Dundie episode.
Old 05-01-11, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the fact that everybody is nit-picking Pam being able to get through security but nobody says anything about the documentary crew being able to get through security.
Old 05-01-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wasn't the documentary crew just on the other side of security? Michael was sitting near the "exit" of the security area talking to the camera. I don't think the camera operator ever entered the secured area. But it makes me think that Pam had to have been going through security about the time Michael was getting his shoes on. Shouldn't they have seen each other at that point? I deleted the show so I can't go back and look. Is the entrance usually near the exit at airports?

I found it more surprising that no one blinks an eye when the cameraman follows them into the bathroom where they area trying to have a private conversation. Maybe everyone has gotten so used to the cameras they don't even notice. I still think that Sabre wouldn't have allowed the documentary to continue after they bought Dunder Mifflin, but oh well...
Old 05-01-11, 09:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I love the fact that everybody is nit-picking Pam being able to get through security but nobody says anything about the documentary crew being able to get through security.
You don't watch TMZ?
Old 05-02-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Pink pants with weird spots on 'em. Yeah, I had no idea what that was all about...
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Open up a Brooks Brothers catalog and you'll pretty much find Andy's entire wardrobe.
Old 05-02-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by windom
I found it more surprising that no one blinks an eye when the cameraman follows them into the bathroom where they area trying to have a private conversation. Maybe everyone has gotten so used to the cameras they don't even notice. I still think that Sabre wouldn't have allowed the documentary to continue after they bought Dunder Mifflin, but oh well...
They made a joke about that in the show. Something like "Oh, your coming into bathrooms now?"

On a slightly related note, I was at the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting Saturday. They produce a video every year and usually get some pretty big names to do little roles in the video. This year they had a segment where The Office was having a meeting and Steve Carrel announced that Warren Buffet was going to be the new manager of the office. It was a pretty funny bit. Everyone in the office was asking Warren questions. Creed chimed in w/ "Can I get some of that long life elixir you got?"
Warren (laughing): We don't have any long life elixir.
cut to talking head of Warren "the elixir is only for A-share holders."

Also, I saw Leslie David Baker at the meeting.
Old 05-02-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312

Open up a Brooks Brothers catalog and you'll pretty much find Andy's entire wardrobe.
My wife actually pointed that out to me. "Are those Dolphins on his pants?"
Old 05-02-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush
They made a joke about that in the show. Something like "Oh, your coming into bathrooms now?"
Right, I think that was Jim's comment. But I think, when Gabe followed Erin into the bathroom, neither of them seemed to any notice of the camera following them. They just continued their very personal argument without batting an eye.
Old 05-02-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
My wife actually pointed that out to me. "Are those Dolphins on his pants?"
The 'Nard Dog must have a thing for whales. First it was Fudgie and now the pants.
Old 05-02-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
The documentary crew could have been imediately on the other side of the security ropes and Pam could have bought a ticket.

What is completely unrealistic it Michael making it through security while wearing the mike setup.
Old 05-02-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
What is completely unrealistic it Michael making it through security while wearing the mike setup.
Maybe he took it off before he went through security and put it back on so he could do his last interview.

Of course with the knowledge that everyone is wearing a portable mic pack, we could go back through the entire series and find all the cases where someone couldn't possibly be wearing a mic pack.
Old 05-02-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Seriously, who would pay $120 for those?!?
Old 05-02-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush

On a slightly related note, I was at the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting Saturday. They produce a video every year and usually get some pretty big names to do little roles in the video. This year they had a segment where The Office was having a meeting and Steve Carrel announced that Warren Buffet was going to be the new manager of the office. It was a pretty funny bit. Everyone in the office was asking Warren questions. Creed chimed in w/ "Can I get some of that long life elixir you got?"
Warren (laughing): We don't have any long life elixir.
cut to talking head of Warren "the elixir is only for A-share holders."

Also, I saw Leslie David Baker at the meeting.
It would be really cool if they put that in as a special feature for blu-ray/dvd release of S7.
Old 05-02-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tom Haverford would be ashamed of my ignorance, but I think those look terrible...
Old 05-02-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
It would be really cool if they put that in as a special feature for blu-ray/dvd release of S7.
It would be pretty cool, though the videos are never released commercially, so I don't see it happening here. Some of the jokes were pretty good. Daryl came in and gave Warren a hand slap/fist bump into hug. Jim did his trademark look at the camera and smile and Warren said (very seriously) "look at me when I am talking to you."

Some of the jokes would fall flat w/ people who are unfamiliar w/ Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger though.
Old 05-02-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
Seriously, who would pay $120 for those?!?
Pffft! Sounds like the petty jealous rantings of a Yalie.
Old 05-02-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a worker, I was fairly pissed about Pam ducking out of work to see a movie. She could've researched prices on Google dammit! It would've been fitting for her to have missed saying goodbye completely. Teach her a lesson! Eh, there are worse time wasting things workers do I suppose.

Yeah I didn't tear up at all. I thought the Michael/Jim goodbye was okay, but the recommendation letter for Dwight was wonderful. Paintball was the icing on the cake.

It was funny to see Farrel's character go cake-bananas at the end. I think I will watch the rest of the season and might catch a few next season as a sampling to gauge my interest.
Old 05-02-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
What about Andy being able to afford a wardrobe full of Brooks Brothers clothing on a Scranton office salesperson's salary?
Old 05-02-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
What about Andy being able to afford a wardrobe full of Brooks Brothers clothing on a Scranton office salesperson's salary?
You mean Andy, the guy who comes from a wealthy family?
Old 05-02-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah between Pam lying herself into a new job and skipping work to go to a movie ... they're kind of making her a lot less likable.
Old 05-04-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I had this thought after the episode:

What if what happened b/w Jim and Michael is what they are planning to do with the series? We all think that there will be a next season (lunch tomorrow) but it's really over THIS season?

All of these big guest stars are only to show that Michael really is irreplaceable, the office will never be same, and DM decides to close down and everyone goes their separate ways. There is no next season, it ends "with lunch tomorrow."

Would be pretty epic, and I'm sure notorious like Sopranos or others that have just ended without any clue as to where the story goes from there.
You spelled out nearly every single word but "between" gets a shortening?

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Tom Haverford would be ashamed of my ignorance, but I think those look terrible...
Looked like he was wearing pajamas.
Old 05-04-11, 01:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Yeah between Pam lying herself into a new job and skipping work to go to a movie ... they're kind of making her a lot less likable.
Only to straight-edges like you.
Old 05-04-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Also, it was a nice tribute to the original series with Michael taking his microphone off and asking for them to let him know when it airs.
Good catch. One of my favorite moments as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.