Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Yeah, I thought it was OK too. I didn't really care for when they made it blind for us, they just hammed those scenes up too much.

I didn't see all the singers, but Christina's team so far has no chance.
Old 04-27-11, 09:31 AM
RDR
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this last night due to repeats being on CBS. Honestly, I went in thinking it was just going to be another fill-in show for me when repeats were on. I loved it. The best part for me is exactly one of the points Coladar brought up, no really bad singers. Having no William Hung or Sanjaya to listen to makes me want to watch this all the more.
Old 04-27-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I also missed the promo blitz, and also enjoyed it.
Old 04-27-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed it for the same reasons as listed above...including the fact that the contestants had been pre-screened for quality.

I'm really interested to see how the whole mentoring thing works...I'm afraid at some point this will turn into American Idol again...
Old 04-27-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ATX
Girl: "always being judged for my looks, yada..yada..blah, blah..."

Carson Daly: "That's why this show is so important..."
Tuned in for Parenthood, forgetting it was the season finale last week. Watched the Voice for a bit, but turned it off right after this scene. How hard it must be to live as a young hot girl!

And Carson Daly was just annoying. Dude has no charisma whatsoever. All of the follow up scenes with him were just awkward.
Old 04-27-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They should replace Carson with Haislip in those follow up segments.
Old 04-27-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked this. I like how Adam Levine just out sold the rest of the group and brought in the two top singers we've seen so far.

Other than that my favorite was the hot chick that was so disappointed because she always got judged by her looks.... yeah life must be hard being that pretty.
Old 04-27-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Wait, Carson Daly is involved? This show will fail on that alone.
Old 04-27-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001

Other than that my favorite was the hot chick that was so disappointed because she always got judged by her looks.... yeah life must be hard being that pretty.
We all know the pop music industry hates attractive women.
Old 04-27-11, 11:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
And Carson Daly was just annoying. Dude has no charisma whatsoever. All of the follow up scenes with him were just awkward.
He came off as disingenuous, easily the weakest part of the show, in my opinion. On the flipside, all of the judges came off as very likable and entertaining, and their camaraderie/competition was what really made this enjoyable for me.
Old 04-27-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well this pulled huge (for NBC and very good overall) ratings last night, I greatly anticipate The Voice: SVU being superior.
Old 04-27-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
they did a very good job being annoying promoting this shit

imma watch... but i tell you the premise seems stupid to me

i just wish people would come with something new...nbc came with the biggest loser, there was no other network show about weightloss.. and the show is successful

let american idol have the singing comps genre, come up with something else

and everything is prerecorded, right?
NBC should do a show about biggest Winner, bringing skinny people, and make them fat.
Old 04-27-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Just finished watching all 2 hours.

There were a couple that I really liked. Javier, the black guy who sang Time after Time, and Tje, the dude with the huge Afro.

I didn't really like the hot chick Kelsey, who sang that Adele song. Thought her voice was really thin.

I remember Frenchie Davis from American Idol, but I honestly wasn't impressed with her this time around.
Old 04-27-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished it and enjoyed it... Yeah its silly, but fun. The fact that Levine got Javier puts him in the lead so far. I find it interesting that Cee Lo and Levine seem to go for all the same guys almost immediately. I think Shelton has a good one in the 16 year old as her voice was pretty damn good.
Old 05-03-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

Blind Auditions Part 2 is tonight. 9pm-11pm
Old 05-03-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Just finished it and enjoyed it... Yeah its silly, but fun. The fact that Levine got Javier puts him in the lead so far. I find it interesting that Cee Lo and Levine seem to go for all the same guys almost immediately. I think Shelton has a good one in the 16 year old as her voice was pretty damn good.
I don't know what Levine's strategy is by doing it but it seems that whenever he's interested in someone he watches everyone else and pushes the button as soon as someone else does. He did the same with Christina Aguilera too.

Odds on who's banging Christina? I got 2/1 odds on Levine, 5/1 on Sheldon, 8/1 that it's both, 10/1 that it's a contestant and 15/1 that it's Cee Lo. I wanted to go 25/1 on Cee Lo but he's black and we know she digs that.
Old 05-04-11, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I don't know what Levine's strategy is by doing it but it seems that whenever he's interested in someone he watches everyone else and pushes the button as soon as someone else does. He did the same with Christina Aguilera too.

Odds on who's banging Christina? I got 2/1 odds on Levine, 5/1 on Sheldon, 8/1 that it's both, 10/1 that it's a contestant and 15/1 that it's Cee Lo. I wanted to go 25/1 on Cee Lo but he's black and we know she digs that.
I know you don't mean the question seriously, but I'm not sure why you put such low odds on Cee Lo. Because he's short? Why that high on Levine? I don't think Levine has that much of a chance. I think Cee Lo has a better chance than Shelton.
Old 05-04-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't watch this, but my wife told me Tim Mahoney was on. I went to see him play a few dozen times back in my college days (15 years or so ago). I usually just went to hit on women, but he was a great musician. I have a few of his CDs. The guy is great live. From what I've heard from a lot of people, he's a really nice down to earth guy as well.

Hope he does well. I'll have to start watching now.
Old 05-04-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd agree, mostly because Christina has kind of packed on the pounds and Levine is nailing:

SFW but to prevent any peering HR eyes

Spoiler:

Shelton is with Miranda Lambert (eh), Cee-Lo is single. So odds are better for Lambert or Cee-Lo, as I don't think Levine wants to screw it up with his swimsuit model.

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I didn't watch this, but my wife told me Tim Mahoney was on. I went to see him play a few dozen times back in my college days (15 years or so ago). I usually just went to hit on women, but he was a great musician. I have a few of his CDs. The guy is great live. From what I've heard from a lot of people, he's a really nice down to earth guy as well.

This is one of the things I really like about the show, it's less about finding new talent than helping existing talent mature.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-04-11 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-04-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeboo835

He was on the very first episode of the talk show I produce and yes, he's a great guy. I'd rather support people that have actually done the work than those who show up at a cattle call with no experience.
Old 05-04-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cracked up when Mahoney showed up on this. I was not expecting that at all.

I liked this show last week, but I got bored in a hurry last night.
Old 05-04-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Shelton is with Miranda Lambert (eh), Cee-Lo is single. So odds are better for Lambert or Cee-Lo, as I don't think Levine wants to screw it up with his swimsuit model.
Of course I don't mean the question seriously as I didn't consider who each one was dating/engaged to. But let's be honest, it's not like it would be the first time a musician cheated on their significant other.

Originally Posted by Laertes
I know you don't mean the question seriously, but I'm not sure why you put such low odds on Cee Lo. Because he's short? Why that high on Levine? I don't think Levine has that much of a chance. I think Cee Lo has a better chance than Shelton.
Because Cee-Lo is one ugly son of a bitch. I put Adam up high because you can tell by watching the show that she wants him.
Old 05-04-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was stating it in a joking fashion.

This show is crushing it in the ratings. It scored a 5.6 demo rating which is ridiculously high, especially at 10 pm, and about 12.3m viewers overall last night. That's a 10% increase from the debut, generally there's a slight drop off in the second ep.
Old 05-04-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I watched a few clips (blind tests) from this and it's actually pretty good. I like the different take on the way contestants are picked. I've never been a fan of Idol or watched. To me that's been more about the drama leading up to it. This by contrast is more about the raw talent. I do think it would be improved by having the judges closer to the stage and having them be in a semi circle. It would also be fun if they judges couldn't see each other, or know when one of them has turned around. Sometimes their decisions seem to be influenced by the others.
Old 05-06-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by starman9000
I cracked up when Mahoney showed up on this. I was not expecting that at all.

I liked this show last week, but I got bored in a hurry last night.
I kind of agree with you here. The last 30-40 minutes got boring especially when they ran out of talent and had to bring in people who were dropped to re-audition again.

There were a few really rough auditions specifically the Tattoo freak Emily Valentine and the 16-year old bubble gum princess Raquel.

I hope it gets more compelling now that they are moving to the coaching stage. Out of all the contestants so far, my pick is still Javier from Adam's team. Adam and Cee-Lo probably have the strongest teams talent-wise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.