Glee -- "Born This Way" -- 4/26/11 90 minute episode

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-26-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoiler:
McKinley High glee club members Lauren Zizes and Quinn Fabray compete for prom queen and former member Kurt Hummel returns to the school. Club co-captain Rachel Berry considers having rhinoplasty and her friend Puck helps her with a "Barbravention". Meanwhile, glee club director Will Schuester teaches the group about self-acceptance

Originally Aired April 26, 2011

song set list
Spoiler:
"As If We Never Said Goodbye" (sunset boulevard)
"Barbra Streisand" (Duck Sauce)
"Born This Way" (Lady Gaga)
"I Feel Pretty / Unpretty"
"I've Gotta Be Me" (Golden Rainbow)
"Somewhere Only We Know (Keane)

I have a gut feeling this is gonna be the episode that is either loved or hated with a passion (on either side)
Old 04-26-11, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Born This Way" -- 4/26/11 90 minute episode

I've got a feeling this is going to be the true Jump the Shark moment for this show, if the Super Bowl episode isn't considered as such. It's going to be the ultimate culmination of everything that's slowly turned this show to crap in S2, all in one super sized episode. Bottom line, I think this is going to be a train wreck, and one people will be able to look away from. Heck, I still haven't even watched last weeks episode yet, and I used to love this show with a passion.

If it's as bad as I expect, I'll be curious if there really is anyone that "loves" it. If, and it's still if at this point, it is that bad, I don't think it'll have enough redeeming qualities to be love it or hate it, simply the latter. One thing that pisses me off... This episode is late enough that it *had* to be written after the criticisms for S2 came in, with people saying they were ramming the gay stuff with Kurt down our throats way too much, and that the preaching was killing the show. I take this episode then, once again, knowing they wrote it after much of the S2 hatred began, as a giant FU to the fans that didn't like the direction the show was taking, and a message that the writers of the show don't care what the fans think, that they'll take the show where they want to take it. Which is fine, it's their show, and they are the ones that made it a success, so they can do whatever the hell they want with it. But I think taking that into consideration, this episode will be everything the majority of viewers hated about S2, taken to the next level. We shall see if that proves correct, or they can manage to redeem themselves and turn this back into the show that was once incredibly enjoyable.
Old 04-26-11, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Granted i know twitter isn't really the best way to judge a shows likeness, but last weeks was actually well liked by them, so who knows.

I'm sure people will like next weeks
Spoiler:
its an entire episode dedicated to the Fleetwood Mac album "Rumours"
Old 04-26-11, 05:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
Granted i know twitter isn't really the best way to judge a shows likeness, but last weeks was actually well liked by them
Who is this mysterious "them" you speak of?
Old 04-26-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, this will be the end for many.
Old 04-26-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by coladar View Post
they were ramming the gay stuff with Kurt down our throats way too much
Thank you for conjuring up an ugly image in my mind that actually triggered by gag reflex and made me vomit a little bit.
Old 04-26-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Looking forward to tonight - I don't have nearly the problem with Kurt's storyline as others do (it's no worse than the fake pregnancy of Season 1, which was actively stupid rather than just a little preachy at times). It's just part of this season, like Emma's marriage, Finn-Quinn-Rachel stuff and everything else that's going on. And it's been on the back-burner for a few months anyway (including last week, which really wasn't much).

I enjoyed the other Gaga numbers a lot before too. I'm certainly not going into tonight thinking I'll hate it. Not sure why anyone who thinks they won't like it will bother watching in the first place. Aren't there better ways to spend your time?
Old 04-26-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Yep, this will be the end for many.
You do know this board isn't the target audience of the show right? Most fans of the show have no problems with the gay storyline.
Old 04-26-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Will Lady GaGa herself have a part in this ep? They seem to be advertising her in the above poster, but I thought she had already appeared on the show. If she's a recurring guest star, that might send an unintentional message.

I agree that this will be the ep. where the show either reaches new heights, or winds up losing some audience and starts a backslide that will culminate in cancellation after next year. I do not mind stories that focus on homosexuality. I do not mind watching them. But I don't like being beaten over the head with social messages week-in/week-out, regardless of the subject matter. I haven't watched an ep. since the Christmas ep. and the rest are all in my DVR backlog. I am now wondering if I will bother to watch them. What's sad is that this show has a case with great talent and has accomplished a lot in terms of entertainment value, but it's in danger of undermining a lot of it.
Old 04-26-11, 02:21 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Based on the episode title, is it safe to assume that this will be exact the same as the Madonna episode, but they'll insist that it's completely different?
Old 04-26-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I care very little about the stories on Glee, but as long as they deliver good performances, I'm in. I can put it on while I'm doing something else and pay increased attention when a performance I like comes on.

I have no memory of Lady Gaga ever being on Glee. I've heard nothing about Lady Gaga being in this episode.

While reading this thread, I'm reminded of one of my pet peeves with "news". "News" is supposed to be reporting things that happen, but often it delves into speculation about things that haven't happened (and often never do). What's the point of predicting Glee suckiness? Watch the episode and complain afterwords, if warranted.
Old 04-26-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
You do know this board isn't the target audience of the show right? Most fans of the show have no problems with the gay storyline.
Sure most fans don't have a problem with the gay storyline but I'm sure they don't want to be beat over the head with it either.
Old 04-26-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Sure most fans don't have a problem with the gay storyline but I'm sure they don't want to be beat over the head with it either.
It hasn't really been an issue for the past few episodes though. Obviously they need to focus on it again before the end of the season so that they can move forward with other storylines. Just my opinion...
Old 04-26-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
It hasn't really been an issue for the past few episodes though. Obviously they need to focus on it again before the end of the season so that they can move forward with other storylines. Just my opinion...
The Brittney/Santana story from a few weeks ago was the "beat over the head" point for me. They took a fun couple and turned it into preaching.
Old 04-26-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Will Lady GaGa herself have a part in this ep? They seem to be advertising her in the above poster, but I thought she had already appeared on the show. If she's a recurring guest star, that might send an unintentional message.
no, i actually found that image from a fan page
Old 04-26-11, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I agree the whole storyline with Kurt being bullied has been dragged out too much and I think Ryan Murphy has shoved his Kurt down people's throats too much. We all get that Kurt is based on Ryan.

As for Brittany/Santana. I don't mind them that much and I find both of them more tolerable than Kurt.
Old 04-26-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by writer106 View Post

As for Brittany/Santana. I don't mind them that much .
apparently their "storyline' heats up tonight which could be a good thing
Old 04-26-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too fond of the Kurt story line, or what they've done with Santana, but I'm not going to prejudge this episode. Maybe they will put both issues to bed tonight, but with the way this show recycles plots and resets characters I'm not hopeful.
Old 04-26-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Maybe they will put both issues to bed tonight, but with the way this show recycles plots and resets characters I'm not hopeful.
Definitely the right slang for the situation.
Old 04-26-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For all the pre episode pissing and moaning, this episode has been really good thus far
Old 04-26-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved the shirts (mike chen's was 'can't sing' ) Also loved Brittany not being able to spell lesbian but spelled it Lebanese.

And i for one loved the episode, so no hatin from me
Old 04-26-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I loved the shirts (mike chen's was 'can't sing' ) Also loved Brittany not being able to spell lesbian but spelled it Lebanese.

And i for one loved the episode, so no hatin from me
I liked it too. It wasn't too preachy.
Old 04-26-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the Lady Gaga fans on twitter are up in arms over that certain lines from the "Born This Way" song were cut, and given that the episode was 90 min, that they should have had time to do the full song
Old 04-26-11, 10:10 PM

The episode was alright. I didn't care for the songs very much.
Old 04-26-11, 10:43 PM

I thought this episode was good but I wish they would left out Kurt singing As If We Never Said Goodbye. That song wasn't needed and I wished there was more screentime with Emma and the therapist.

I liked the flashback of Lauren as a toddler in tiara.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.