Old 04-25-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 467 Likes on 345 Posts
The Event -- "Strain" -- 4/25/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The White House is rocked by the sudden illness of one of their own, leaving Chief of Staff Peel (guest star Roger Bart) and Sterling (Zeljko Ivanek) to investigate possible conspirators. Michael Buchanan (Scott Patterson) comes to the aid of Leila (Sarah Roemer), but it leaves them both at risk of Sophia's wrath. Across the globe in Russia, Sean (Jason Ritter) and Vicky (Taylor Cole) race to stop Sophia's weapon from being loaded onto a plane heading to the United States.

Episode 18 of 22

Promo:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyMTE3MQ" width="512" height="354" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyMTE3MQ==/"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMyMTE3MQ==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

The back half of this season has gotten quite good. It's too bad that this has pretty much no shot in hell of a 2nd season.

I loved seeing how stupid Martinez was. His wife isn't from Cuba, she's from the Dominican.

If anything, I think Sterling will catch on the VP was behind the poisoning of the POTUS.
Old 04-25-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Event -- "Strain" -- 4/25/11

Yeah, the 2nd half has been quite enjoyable. Just hope they have a proper ending, since we all know this isn't going beyond 22 episodes.
Old 04-25-11, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad the 'weapon' is what it is and not some alien tech that they stashed in the artic.
Old 04-26-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
I'm glad the 'weapon' is what it is and not some alien tech that they stashed in the artic.
Uhh, yeah, how does Spanish Flu kill a boatload of Russians in minutes flat, killing them while they are in the middle of eating? It literally looked like insta death. I call BS. And thus why this show failed. Lazy, stupid writing.

And they need to finish the VP storyline now. It's getting overdrawn, and that's making the show unwatchable for me. It was one thing the last time he tried to kill Elias. Now this? And creepy Sterling knows about both, has a shitload of evidence, and VP looks to become the President? They need to wrap that up, and kill him off. The character has reached the point of no return, and is so despised that you want him dead so badly, drawing it out past the next episode harms the show IMO.
Old 04-26-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Kudos to the sound mixers. The sound of the vice president vomitting was quite clear in my surround right side speaker.
Old 04-26-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's that the Spanish Flu does something to the Aliens and they need to change it. I actually liked the VP story, at least the way they handled it; it wasn't overtly dramatic and the fact that they made the issue of lack of concrete evidence was smart.

Really hope the show gets renewed, not great television but it's fairly solid sci-fi drama.
Old 04-26-11, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Kudos to the sound mixers. The sound of the vice president vomitting was quite clear in my surround right side speaker.
And the doors on the boat - startled the heck outta me!
Old 04-26-11, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The VP storyline cracked me up in the episode. Jarvis was practically ready to shit in his pants watching Martinez drink the poisoned coffee. And I loved her ridiculously convenient it was for the cleaning crew to show up once Sterling and Peel made a mad dash to the conference room realizing the coffee was poisoned. And to top it off, Sterling conveniently realizes there is spilled coffee on his shirt too. Even though all that is ridiculous TV writing, I still find that arc quite compelling.

The Sean and Vicky storyline has actually gotten quite good. Sean has been a pretty dead weight character for most of the season. But, I've really enjoyed him teaming up with Vicky on this suicide mission.

The show has been really rocky, but I can honestly say it's been a fun and really silly ride. I don't regret investing the time to watch this at all.

If anything, I hope Taylor Cole will get alot of job offers once the show wraps up.
Old 04-26-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ian Anthony Dale (Simon) has been tweeting that they are currently filming the season/series finale.

Since the show is still in production, I hope the writers/producers will make sure to shoot an alternate ending in case the show doesn't come back (which it most likely won't)

I remember the producers of Jericho shot 2 endings for the season 2 finale in case the show got canned. And once CBS canned it, they aired the series finale ending.

They should have enough time too since the season finale doesn't air until May 23rd, so they should know before then about the show's future.
Old 04-26-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 211 Posts

Don't they have a five year plan for this series?

Might be kind of hard to wrap it up in the season one finale.
Old 04-26-11, 08:14 AM
ATX

this episode was actually watchable

i liked the whole opening scene, i got hyped in anticipation of the pres going down and watching the anxiousness of the vp... so i'll give whoever the director was props

funny someone mentioned sound because i been thinking that the scoring sucks overall (scoring...no reflection on the mixers or foley people), other shows of this type had cold blooded composers that made the show even better

---

having said that, i dont think even Sean Callery, Bear McCreary, Michael Giaccino could help this show
Old 04-26-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by coladar View Post
Uhh, yeah, how does Spanish Flu kill a boatload of Russians in minutes flat, killing them while they are in the middle of eating? It literally looked like insta death. I call BS. And thus why this show failed. Lazy, stupid writing.
+1

I actually LOLed at this. I had figured out that they were going for the Spanish Flu virus (the part about digging up the soldier is actually true -- they did this to study the Spanish Flu pandemic) but I though they would just bring tissue to a lab where they would incubate it. The "insta death" was ridiculously stupid -- especially when you consider that Spanish Flu, although deadly, had "only" a 10% to 20% mortality rate.
Old 04-26-11, 10:58 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

oh joy, a 25th Amendment storyline.

Besides that, I actually like the White House storyline the best out of the three. Brings me back to 24.

damn 25th Amendment!
Old 04-26-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave View Post
The "insta death" was ridiculously stupid -- especially when you consider that Spanish Flu, although deadly, had "only" a 10% to 20% mortality rate.
It wasn't just "insta death" but the one fellow had some sort of postmortem reaction. That's a nasty flu virus.
Old 04-26-11, 12:04 PM
ATX

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
oh joy, a 25th Amendment storyline.

Besides that, I actually like the White House storyline the best out of the three. Brings me back to 24.

damn 25th Amendment!
you shoulda predicted that though, i mean some of these guys wrote on 24, i mean even the cabinet look identical to 24's (i think i recognized several actors...wasnt vp even on 24?)

but shit, if it make the episodes more watchable by borrowing already done did shit, then all power to them... bring in more whitehouse moles if needed
Old 04-26-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe the "event" will be a new amendment to the US Constitution!!!!
Old 04-26-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave View Post
+1

I actually LOLed at this. I had figured out that they were going for the Spanish Flu virus (the part about digging up the soldier is actually true -- they did this to study the Spanish Flu pandemic) but I though they would just bring tissue to a lab where they would incubate it. The "insta death" was ridiculously stupid -- especially when you consider that Spanish Flu, although deadly, had "only" a 10% to 20% mortality rate.
This seems like less of a stretch than how Sophia was able to communicate instantaneously with her home world.
Old 04-26-11, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took it to be that the Flu mutated due to the alien becoming infected; the Spanish Flu was hemorrhagic but not a completely internal-organ oozing way like Ebola. It's reasonable in a TV show for it to have mutated to become fully hemorrhagic.
Old 04-26-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The way the VP went from wanting to kill Sophia to joining her cause just didn't seem at all believable.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you!"
"If you don't shoot me, I'll make sure the United States is the one country in the world that doesn't feel the wrath of our global genocide."
"You make a good point. Let's murder the President!"
Old 04-27-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
The way the VP went from wanting to kill Sophia to joining her cause just didn't seem at all believable.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you!"
"If you don't shoot me, I'll make sure the United States is the one country in the world that doesn't feel the wrath of our global genocide."
"You make a good point. Let's murder the President!"
Reminds me of this exchange in Team America.

Promise me you'll never die.
You know I can't promise that.
If you did that, I would make love to you right now.
I promise I'll never die.
Old 04-29-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Did the VP think the situation room didn't have a camera/recording equipment?
Old 04-29-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Did the VP think the situation room didn't have a camera/recording equipment?
That's why he was showing only his back.

Yeah, dumbest show ever! But still bitterly watching.