Old 04-24-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Amazing Race 18 -- "We're Good American People" -- 4/24/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-02-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The stress of the Race begins to take its toll when a Double U-Turn is revealed, and one Team struggles to consume a local delicacy while others become acquainted with Swiss hospitality.

Episode 9 of 12

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r5kH11AsFEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's hoping that Gary and Mallory hang in there.
Old 04-24-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race 18 -- "We're Good American People" -- 4/24/11

Congrats to Gary & Mallory. That fondue challenge was brutal. Aside from the Goths, specifically the "guy", pretty okay with any of these teams winning. Hope it's a good end of the race.
Old 04-24-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The Globetrotters are simply too dumb to win this race. It's just so frustrating watching them.
Old 04-24-11, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I hope they made Jet and Cord eat the entire pot of cheese before they broke the news to them.
Old 04-24-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Weak for those shithead teams to give away the answer on the moped challenge.
Old 04-24-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz

Even with the missteps the last few legs, I was still rooting for the cowboys to come from behind. But with all the other teams sharing the answer to the roadblock (WTF? 5 teams left!!), you could see their fate coming (even those two knew they were pretty much the outcasts.)

Zev and his fondue puns

No doubt Phil would hate to see Mallory not make the finals - I absolutely loved seeing her enthusiasm at the finish mat in the bellhop getup.

If only Vxysin had rolled Kynt into an oncoming electric taxi...that would have made up for the Cowboy elimination.
Old 04-24-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Justin might have been the only one to get that right the first time. Every other team directly or indirectly took his answer.

I think we've seen in two races that Herb and Nate aren't the brightest of guys, but they generally have a good attitude about the race. Paft of this race is building connections with the other teams. If you have that then maybe they're willing to help you. Clearly Jet and Cord, while good guys, didn't really take the time to connect with the other teams.
Old 04-24-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't Vixen come up with the answer on her own?
Old 04-24-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I absolutely love Mallory. Just a bundle of joy! haha

Zev's face looking straight at the camera and all cheesed out was hilarious. I hate cheese, so if I had to do that task, I would have probably taken the penalty.
Old 04-24-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Didn't Vixen come up with the answer on her own?
She was right behind Herb and Gary so I don't think we know for sure. If I had to bet I would bet no.
Old 04-24-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Zev's face looking straight at the camera and all cheesed out was hilarious. I hate cheese, so if I had to do that task, I would have probably taken the penalty.
Had to rewind that, too funny. Somebody find a gif now.
Old 04-24-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That Double U-Turn setup was the dumbest thing ever. With nothing occurring between the U-Turn and the pit stop it literally left whatever team strapped with the U-Turn as the loser. Terribly pointless. (Outside of 2 teams actually being put up.) Although I'm probably just bitter over all the lame ass players giving away answers.
Old 04-25-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jet Figures It Out

Ouch A costly mistake to ditch Gary on the way.

Awww schucks Mallory
<object width="480" height="270"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cbs.com/e/dySc86Xv_dZVyI4A5JR1bqKCoohQgvib/cbs/1/" /></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed width="480" height="270" src="http://www.cbs.com/e/dySc86Xv_dZVyI4A5JR1bqKCoohQgvib/cbs/1/" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 04-25-11, 02:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hated to see the Cowboys go, but it was fair. Every team controls its own destiny (well, aside from car breakdowns, plane delays, and other unforeseen problems). Even U-Turns, while being brutal, are avoidable if the teams are fast enough.

My initial reaction to the info.-sharing was that the teams who were told the answer didn't deserve to get ahead of the Cowboys. Then I realized that this is part of the game, too...buiding relationships (and potentially getting rid of stronger competitors such as Jet & Cord).

I was a little surprised when Jet left Gary behind. At the time, I was thinking that he might be able to work with Gary, who might have had the right number anyway. Jet knew that his own number was probably off since he got lost. If both Gary & he were wrong, the worst that would happen would be that both would have to go back (of course, Gary might not have shared his number with him). If they had stuck together, it's possible that Gary wouldn't have been provided the number, either, so they'd both have been in the same boat.

Love the brothers, but they made several tactical errors late in the game. This latest one just came back to bite them. As the Python boys would say, "It's a fair cop".

Also got to like Zev more this episode. He was a trouper in the cheese challenge & really funny. I couldn't believe that he & Justin could look at that bowl of liquid cheese & actually think consider trying to get it down, but it paid off for them in the long run. They deserve to be in 1st right now.

On the other hand, my estimation of Kent went lower. Allowing Vyx to pull him in the cart...Priceless!
Old 04-25-11, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

I have to give Kent and Vyxsin some credit. For all of the whining, bickering, breakdowns, and meltdowns, they're still in it.
Old 04-25-11, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Luv Gary and Mallory. Glad they are hanging in there in 4th place. She's just a joy to watch. I liked their comments when they decided to stay awake the entire train ride to enjoy the sights.

What the hell was up with the placement of the Double U Turn this leg? Placing it right before the Pit Stop was the stupidest thing ever. I agree with an earlier comment that it 100% guaranteed the last team was a loser. However, the Cowboys already screwed themselves earlier in the leg when Jet mis-calculated the distance of his ride.

Zev and Justin struggling on the fondue challenge was comedy. I think the show should just kill food challenges in future editions. They take way too much time and the amount of food that needs to consumed is ridiculous.
Old 04-25-11, 04:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have to give Kent and Vyxsin some credit. For all of the whining, bickering, breakdowns, and meltdowns, they're still in it.
I have to admit that you've got a point there.

That team is evidence that miracles do indeed occur. It couldn't just be dumb luck.

I know that Vyx has done some hard road blocks & has demonstrated fortitude (such as jumping into the Ganges...foolhardy but still showed guts), but has Kent done anything by himself that could be regarded as a tough challenge?

One thing you can for Kent...he always stands behind his woman 100%.
Old 04-25-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm rooting for Gary/Mallory or Zev/Justin to win.
Old 04-25-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I wonder what Kent's parents think of him.
Old 04-25-11, 08:10 AM

I lost what little respect I had left for Kent when he got into the cart and was pulled by his 'girlfriend'.

D
Old 04-25-11, 12:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm liking Zev & Justin a lot better this race. Something about them annoyed the hell out of me the first time, but they've really grown on me on this one. I'm glad Zev's persistence in sticking with the fondue challenge paid off for them. He knew they could fondue it!
Old 04-25-11, 01:07 PM

I am shocked that Vixyn hasn't leveled Kent.. That guy needs to be replaced. Vixyn shouldn't have to do everything by herself. Oh and I'm mad they didn't get eliminated.

I also don't understand the u turns. If the first team to reach doesn't decide to turn someone, who's to stop the next team from turning the team that already made it there. How would the other teams know or didn't know who has or hasn't made it to that point yet.
Old 04-25-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm liking Zev & Justin a lot better this race. Something about them annoyed the hell out of me the first time, but they've really grown on me on this one. I'm glad Zev's persistence in sticking with the fondue challenge paid off for them. He knew they could fondue it!
Well, they're in the race for the fondue of it!

Did anybody else notice that Zev was wearing the Fondue-clue-pot on his head at the pit stop?
Old 04-25-11, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
Well, they're in the race for the fondue of it!

Did anybody else notice that Zev was wearing the Fondue-clue-pot on his head at the pit stop?
I absolutely noticed that! THat is when I decided right then and there that Zev needs his own show.

The Zev show. Enough said.
Old 04-25-11, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Derrich
I lost what little respect I had left for Kent when he got into the cart and was pulled by his 'girlfriend'.

D
I'm not one to think someone has be a manly man to be a man, but this guys is on another level. Calling him a girl would be a huge insult to girls. After doing my Kent impression again for my wife last night while watching the show, I realize he pretty much sounds like the gay, hippie guy from Family Guy. "Oh, nooooo"

What kind of voodoo magic does he have on her?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.