Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who (BBC1 and BBCA) -- Series 6 Thread -- Premieres 4/23/2011

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 07:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Doctor Who (BBC1 and BBCA) -- Series 6 Thread -- Premieres 4/23/2011

Yes, I get that, but some people took that to mean that literally every time they meet they're further apart, and I don't think that's true. As far as I can tell, this is River post-Big Bang, which means she and the Doctor have moved forward. And obviously she also interacted with the older version of the Doctor, who knew her better than the current version.

The general trend is further away, but it's not a 100% certainty for every meeting.
Old 04-26-11, 07:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that for River "Impossible Astronaut" is post-"Big Bang" because she's carrying the Vortex Manipulator she acquired early in "Pandorica Opens" and that the Doctor returned to her at the end of "Big Bang."

So, as far as I can tell, River's personal chronology to date is:

- The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
- The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon
- Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
(River is visited by the Doctor and he gives her a sonic screwdriver)
- Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

Of course there is clearly much more River Song story yet to be told.
Old 04-26-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

If they were truly only meeting in reverse order, they would have no common memories of previous meetings, and they wouldn't pull out those diaries and compare notes each time they meet.
Old 04-27-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yes, I get that, but some people took that to mean that literally every time they meet they're further apart, and I don't think that's true. As far as I can tell, this is River post-Big Bang, which means she and the Doctor have moved forward. And obviously she also interacted with the older version of the Doctor, who knew her better than the current version.

The general trend is further away, but it's not a 100% certainty for every meeting.
I agree with this and that is why I had posted some of my questions above. We need to see an older River with this older Doctor, but then come back to a younger River that hasn't done that story yet. I'd like to see the Doctor have the upper hand with knowledge for once. Obviously he knows what happens in Silence/FotD, but he's not saying.
Old 04-27-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I agree with this and that is why I had posted some of my questions above. We need to see an older River with this older Doctor, but then come back to a younger River that hasn't done that story yet. I'd like to see the Doctor have the upper hand with knowledge for once. Obviously he knows what happens in Silence/FotD, but he's not saying.
I don't think that will ever happen. The Doctor has never exploited knowledge from previous encounters to resolve a conflict as far as I can recall in this series. Even River doesn't really do this. See can cite events that happened as spoilers that could change the Doctor's destiny but again everything is left pretty deliberately vague. I mean consider the Doctor's own timeline in just this episode, they see him die then meet a younger version of this same incarnation only moments later who knows nothing of his own demise earlier. Time isn't linear for them which is why they constantly need to compare notes.
Old 04-27-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just found this linked to my Facebook. Nothing new but does point out what we DO know about River Song.
Old 04-27-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Here's Wikipedia's summary of River Song's chronology:

River Song first appears in the Doctor Who 2008 series two-parter "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead" (written by Steven Moffat) in the Russell T Davies era of Doctor Who. Here, she encounters the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) in the 51st century, and claims to be someone he will come to trust completely. She is able to convince the Doctor of his future trust in her by whispering his real name into his ear. The adventure in the Library is River's last real-life encounter with the Doctor in her chronology, but is their first encounter in his. In the second of the two episodes she sacrifices herself to save the Doctor's life. In turn he is able to upload her consciousness into a computer (in which she is able to live on) through the use of a sonic screwdriver that he apparently gave to her at a point in her past which for him has not yet occurred. According to Moffat in the accompanying Doctor Who Confidential episode, River's blaster gun is the one previously owned by Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman) in the 2005 series.

After Moffat took over from Davies as executive producer of the show, River Song appeared in the 2010 series. She encounters the Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith), to whom she is more familiar, at an earlier point in her timeline in the two-parter "The Time of Angels"/"Flesh and Stone". She leaves coordinates for the Doctor to eventually find so that he may rescue her in the 51st century, and with him she investigates the crash of the spaceship Byzantium. She proves herself to be more adept at flying the TARDIS than he is and reveals to him that she is imprisoned for killing "the best man she had ever known".

An even earlier version of River appears to assist the Doctor in series finale "The Pandorica Opens"/"The Big Bang". After she is contacted in prison by Winston Churchill (Ian McNeice), she leads the Doctor to 102 A.D. Whilst River is travelling in the TARDIS on her own, it explodes with her inside. The Doctor, using River's vortex manipulator, is able to save her and teleport her out. She then assists him in closing the cracks in the universe in an alternate 1996. After quietly assisting Amy Pond in remembering the Doctor by giving Amy her diary, she states to the Doctor that he will soon learn the truth about her, after which everything will change.

River appears again in the opening episode of series six, "The Impossible Astronaut," in which she relates to Rory that she and the Doctor are travelling in opposite directions, chronologically, and that one day she will meet him and he will have no idea who she is. This has already been seen to happen in the episode "Silence in the Library".

Kingston will appear as Song on the 30th of April 2011 in the episode "Day of the Moon".
Old 04-30-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who "Day of the Moon" Season Two 2 Episode Two 2

No thread started...

OMGWTFBBQ. That is all.
Old 04-30-11, 07:56 PM

Re: Doctor Who "Day of the Moon" Season Two 2 Episode Two 2

Agreed. We got what we've expected finally and then boom. My son and I woke up my wife screaming at the end.

I don't know if I can keep this up all season if it continues like this. I'm going crazy.
Old 04-30-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My big question is
Spoiler:
the Doctor had a plan to broadcast during the moon landing from the start, but how did he know that the wounded Silence was going to tell Canton to kill them all and therefore use that statement against them?
Old 04-30-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Holyinsanecrazyballs!
Old 04-30-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um.... wow.

Wowwowwow.
Old 04-30-11, 09:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Been reading about a week of speculative theories and such, nobody came close to predicting THAT.
Old 04-30-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

+1 to all of the post above.

So is the person in the alley:
Spoiler:
the Doctor's daughter (previous one we met), actually Amy's, the Doctor's new daughter with a time head, a different old Time Lord, or something to do with River?
. Oh how the mind boggles!

Did anybody get the impression River thought something was off at the end and/or out of sequence?

Last edited by Superman07; 04-30-11 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-30-11, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Groucho
Been reading about a week of speculative theories and such, nobody came close to predicting THAT.
Yeah, no shit!

Spoiler:
Could this be the Doctor's daughter from Tennant's run? Or a brand new Time Lord?

This was probably the darkest episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen. It felt so bleak. Kudos to Moffat for going to strange new places with this show.
Old 04-30-11, 09:43 PM

Wow, just....wow.

Please Lord Moffat, can you please keep up that pace?
Old 04-30-11, 09:44 PM

wow....... that's all i can say, wow.
Old 04-30-11, 09:48 PM
Banned by request

Here's the best theory I've read on the girl:

Spoiler:
If you remember in The Lodger, they were trying to find someone who could pilot their bootleg TARDIS. No one was a match until The Doctor, a Time Lord, shows up. So The Silence impregnate Amy (she obviously doesn't have a normal pregnancy as we saw from the body scan at the end of the episode) with Time Lord DNA (nabbed one of the Doctor's hairs maybe?) and plan to use the child to pilot their ship.

Not perfect, but best fits the facts as we now know them.
Old 04-30-11, 09:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I totally predicted it but I forgot to post my prediction.
Old 04-30-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not often you can refer to an episode of a long-running series as a "game changer", but damned if Moffat pulled it off.
Old 04-30-11, 09:58 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's the best theory I've read on the girl:

Spoiler:
If you remember in The Lodger, they were trying to find someone who could pilot their bootleg TARDIS. No one was a match until The Doctor, a Time Lord, shows up. So The Silence impregnate Amy (she obviously doesn't have a normal pregnancy as we saw from the body scan at the end of the episode) with Time Lord DNA (nabbed one of the Doctor's hairs maybe?) and plan to use the child to pilot their ship.

Not perfect, but best fits the facts as we now know them.
Allow me to present an alternate theory:

Spoiler:
As a result of gestating in the TARDIS, Amy's baby has time head.
Old 04-30-11, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Did anybody get the impression River thought something was off at the end and/or out of sequence?
Yeah I got the impression that she knew she screwed up big time and it's going to change things. And it appears we won't see her for at least a couple of weeks as next week's episode looks like a "one-off" that doesn't tie into the whole arc. (although that appears to be thrown out the window with Moffat now)
Old 04-30-11, 10:05 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by JasonF
Allow me to present an alternate theory:

Spoiler:
As a result of gestating in the TARDIS, Amy's baby has time head.

I'm amazed they kept this episode's ending under wraps this whole time. I guess their production team has been taking cues about keeping secrets from River Song.
Old 04-30-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yeah, no shit!

Spoiler:
Could this be the Doctor's daughter from Tennant's run? Or a brand new Time Lord?

This was probably the darkest episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen. It felt so bleak. Kudos to Moffat for going to strange new places with this show.
Spoiler:
Didn't the Doctor say Jenny is unable to regenerate? That would sort of take her out of the running.

Susan? Romana? The Rani? Amy and Rory's child? Maybe if she was conceived in the TARDIS, she's a time lord?
Old 04-30-11, 10:23 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Spoiler:
Didn't the Doctor say Jenny is unable to regenerate? That would sort of take her out of the running.

Susan? Romana? The Rani? Amy and Rory's child? Maybe if she was conceived in the TARDIS, she's a time lord?
Spoiler:
The Doctor said Jenny wasn't a real Time Lord, but she did revive without his knowledge at the end of the episode. But I don't think it's her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.