Doctor Who (BBC1 and BBCA) -- Series 6 Thread -- Premieres 4/23/2011

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who (BBC1 and BBCA) -- Series 6 Thread -- Premieres 4/23/2011

Old 10-04-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Doctor Who -- The Wedding of River Song -- 10/1/11

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Presumably he tells her his name at a later date.
Earlier, no?

Isn't that what he whispered in the Hitler episode?
Old 10-04-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
When you say it that way, it certainly has been a convoluted season.
I don't think they were in a time loop at the beginning, but, to be fair, I haven't paid that close of attention to the details. I was originally watching the series, you know, for fun and amusement. I didn't realize I needed to keep notes. The story kept getting more and more complicated and less and less fun. I'll be curious to see what others say.
I think i am going to make a formal declaration to myself that i am going to watch from now on for fun and amusement. i do not want to diagram or draw who is where in what timeline anymore. No disrespect intended to anyone who wants what they are watching to make linear sense.

if i want my head to hurt like this i will read Einstein's Annus or Ana Nicole's anus.
Old 10-04-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
I think i am going to make a formal declaration to myself that i am going to watch from now on for fun and amusement. i do not want to diagram or draw who is where in what timeline anymore. No disrespect intended to anyone who wants what they are watching to make linear sense.
I should point out that I never really put any real thought into Dr. Who as a rule. Like you said, it is a fun show to watch and thinking about the plots too much can make your head hurt real fast. It's really not worth it.

I was just wondering if there was some explanation to the circular aspect of Amy's and Rory's story that I hadn't noticed. It really had no impact on my appreciation of the season, which, for the most part, I really enjoyed.
Old 10-04-11, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I think you guys are mixing up drinks. Are you talking about the diner when the Doctor comes out of the back, or Amy and River having drinks in the backyard?
About the Diner scene, River said she already knew what really happened but had to keep her mouth shut "spoilers".
Backyard was just after the spaceship with the weeping angels. Where she officially meets Amy for the first time in Amy's timeline.

Do we know how River was able to get to the backyard? You heard something off screen - wrist device like Captain Jack's?
Moffett has confirmed that River has Jack's wrist device and squareness gun.

We still don't know how she was able to show up after the Big Bang at Amy's wedding.
I'm still lost there.. Moffett did make this alot more confusing then it needed. I thought River had better chemistry with Davids Doctor.

I still have questions but I hope we get answers. Maybe somebody will pull the reigns back on Moffett a little.

Rory is still bad ass and didn't get killed.
Old 10-04-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by draven31 View Post
I thought River had better chemistry with Davids Doctor.
I completely agree.
Old 11-21-11, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Season Six, 4/23/11

Trailer for the Christmas special!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3qN9X9tyHkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-21-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that the same forest set from the first Narnia movie?

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-21-11 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

It's going to be an interesting Special this year.

On other Who news:

Speaking on BBC Breakfast right now, Matt Smith has just spelled out his outstanding commitment to Doctor Who: they start filming in February for 14 new episodes, comprising “a full series”, a Christmas special, and a 50th anniversary special.

That’s 50th anniversary special singular, rather than a little mini-series, as some had speculated.

He was not explicit about these being his final episodes, but he could be seen to be clearly and deliberately ducking that question.

Before his slot was up, Smith told a little anecdote about seeing David Tennant and Peter Davidson at Steven Moffat’s birthday party on Saturday and being suddenly struck when he spotted them, thinking “There’s Doctor Who! And there’s Doctor Who!”

Regarding the ongoing Children in Need costume auction, Smith suggested that his costume might look a little different next year, once again, and reminding us that he’s keen it will “evolve.”
Bleeding Cool

50th Anniversary! I can't wait to see what they've got planned.

BTW - 48th Anniversary in two days!
Old 11-22-11, 09:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really hope for a big multi-Doctor adventure for the 50th. I know Davies and Moffat have said they don't want to do that as a regular thing, but it's the 50th, damn it.
Old 11-22-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Davies and Moffat are notorious liars. Sometimes.
Old 11-22-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,338 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I really hope for a big multi-Doctor adventure for the 50th. I know Davies and Moffat have said they don't want to do that as a regular thing, but it's the 50th, damn it.
Yeah, I'd love to see something like that, too.

And I don't really care how old Tom, Peter, and Colin are. It would be fun to see them back and I'm willing to suspend disbelief. Put some wigs on them and let them and do "The Eleven Doctors."

Though the real trick to this would probably be luring Eccleston back.

I'd also be up for recasting the first three Doctors.
Old 11-23-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the deal with Eccleston? I had read that he left for fear of being typcast. But some comments in passing (like when Barrowman made a contrasting comment about Tennant and Eccleston) makes me wonder if he was being a total diva on the show.
Old 11-23-11, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
What's the deal with Eccleston?
Here's from a recent interview:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10312426
"I was open-minded but I decided after my experience on the first series that I didn't want to do any more," he said.

"I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in.

"I thought if I stay in this job, I'm going to have to blind myself to certain things that I thought were wrong."

...In an initial statement announcing his exit in March 2005, the BBC said the actor was afraid of being typecast and had found the series gruelling.

The corporation later accepted the statement was incorrect and that it had not spoken to Eccleston before releasing it.
Old 12-15-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

End of the line for the Ponds
Friday, December 16, 2011 - Posted by Marcus

Doctor Who Showrunner Steven Moffat has announced that the next series of Doctor Who will see the departure of Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill when the story of Amy and Rory comes to an end.

Speaking at the press screening of the Christmas Episode, The Doctor The Widow and The Wardrobe, Moffat confirmed that the duo will rejoin the Doctor in the TARDIS for Series 7/33 of the show, but that sometime during the series the couple's story will come to a heartbreaking end.

Moffat teased that he wouldn't say when, and certainly not how, the couple would leave, but that it would happen during the series and then their story would be over.

Matt Smith was asked if he would be sad to see Gillan leave.
Yes, absolutely…and Arthur. We’ve had the most incredible journey and we took over the show and we really had to sort of hold hands and help each other through it in many ways. So, yeah, it’s very disappointing. But, you know, one has to sort of remember that this show is about change and regeneration and that’s what galvanises it and pushes it forward and it’s about looking forward always
A new companion, who has yet to be cast, will be joining the Doctor.

The press launch was held in Studio One at Television Centre in London, where so many episodes of the Classic Series of Doctor Who were recorded. It was attended by a specially invited audience, including several MP's including Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls and, reportedly, Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne.
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/12...for-ponds.html
Old 12-15-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow... That's awful. I was hoping for a happy ending for them. Looking forward to seeing how it all happens but I really like the Ponds.
Old 12-15-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amy can leave, Rory should be the new star of the show. "Rory featuring the Doctor".
Old 12-16-11, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,338 Likes on 962 Posts

Does this sort of imply that Matt Smith will be around past his third season?

I really sort of hate to see Amy and Rory meet a "heartbreaking end" after all of the shit they've put through. Considering how disappointing Moffat's run has been so far, I don't I would expect anything else.
Old 12-16-11, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Amy can leave, Rory should be the new star of the show. "Rory featuring the Doctor".
This. Karen Gillan is cute but I can't stand her character.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I really sort of hate to see Amy and Rory meet a "heartbreaking end" after all of the shit they've put through. Considering how disappointing Moffat's run has been so far, I don't I would expect anything else.
I doubt they'll die or anything so I'm guessing the "heartbreaking end" is just them bidding the Doctor a teary farewell. He's supposed to be incognito for the time being so I'm sure he needs to stay away to keep them safe.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-16-11 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-16-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I doubt they'll die or anything so I'm guessing the "heartbreaking end" is just them bidding the Doctor a teary farewell.
Yeah, this. Hyperbole thy name is this show. Remember the Doctor's Daughter episode from a few years back? All the ads were proclaiming that "the Doctor's life will never be the same again". A week later, he and Donna were hanging out with Agatha Christie and Jenny was never mentioned again.
Old 12-16-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Meglos View Post
Yeah, this. Hyperbole thy name is this show. Remember the Doctor's Daughter episode from a few years back? All the ads were proclaiming that "the Doctor's life will never be the same again". A week later, he and Donna were hanging out with Agatha Christie and Jenny was never mentioned again.
I agree. However, I also believe that Jenny was far from a dropped character. She just hasn't factored into a new storyline ... yet.
Old 12-16-11, 03:03 PM

Maybe Amy and Rory get sucked into the same alternate universe where Rose and 10 1/2 are.. Rose didn't die and it was a heartbreaking ending for her.
Old 12-16-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The extremely obvious thing would be for the Doctor to admit to them that he was with River when she died.
Old 12-16-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Considering how disappointing Moffat's run has been so far, I don't I would expect anything else.
On the contrary, I think his run has been great. During Davies' run we could count on at least 1 or 2 downright dreadful episodes each season/series, but Moffat's been much more consistent and I can safely say I've enjoyed pretty much every episode during his tenure. Additionally, he's really diversified the baddies; we haven't been smashed over the heads with the Daleks, for instance.
Old 12-17-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by draven31 View Post
Rose didn't die and it was a heartbreaking ending for her.
Yup. I concur! I bawl EVERY TIME I see that episode. Hmm. Makes me want to watch those two episodes now...
Old 12-17-11, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
Yup. I concur! I bawl EVERY TIME I see that episode. Hmm. Makes me want to watch those two episodes now...
I dont think I can deal it makes me a weepy mess.. So I'll just watch some cool 10 & Rose fan videos on you tube.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.