Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Redemption Island -- April 20, 2011

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be kicked off Redemption Island?
Matt
33.33%
Mike
25.00%
David
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Redemption Island -- April 20, 2011

Old 04-21-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Survivor: Redemption Island -- April 20, 2011

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
A Tale of Rice & Racists...full of sound and fury, told by an idiot, signifying nothing.

at "Phile's" referencing the title of Richard Pryor's album. Pryor presciently had Phil in mind when he picked the title.

For the first time, I'm actually starting to feel a little sympathy for Phil. He seems like a not-so-smart guy (considering how often he butchers names of contestants, tribes, etc.) along with his puzzled looks, complete lack of social skills, and delusional feeling that he is part of the "power structure" even as he acts as loyal lackey. It makes me think that the producers picked this guy knowing that he would quickly be in over his head & would do some crazy (oops...racist!) stuff that would be entertaining. As much air time as he continues to get, you'd think he would have a temporary career as a minor celeb after the show...but he doesn't appear to have the mental skills to be able to cash in. I'm beginning to feel that Phil has had a rough life in the past & that nothing will change for him unless he finds someone to take care of him.

IMHO, Phil actually thinks that race-baiting will actually gain him points with his tribe rather than just becoming a nuisance. His "black-men-just-go-off-and-start-shooting" when they feel dissed routine was so beyond the perpetuating of racist stereotypes that it wasn't funny (at least, not after the initial laugh at the ludicrousness of his "outrage").

Like wirefan posted, it became obvious when the producers kept dwelling on the "incident" (including Jeff's MLK impersonation) that Phil was safe and the plan to systematically eliminate the Zaps would proceed on schedule.

The funniest part of the entire episode was hearing Jeff (after initially increduously describing Phil's accusation as a "leap") falling all over himself trying to be P.C. and act as though Phil & Steve BOTH could be right. He went so far as to imply that Steve MIGHT have actually meant to express racist sentiments ("We don't know Steve at all...we don't know what's in his heart", etc.) and putting Steve on the defensive. I felt like Steve should have just told Jeff to shove it and reiterated that Phil is a loose-cannon lunatic, that he's not going to apologize for anything, and he's going to kick Phil's butt if he lays a hand on the Zap's rice.
Philip in his confessional this week say he knows he won't get the votes (from the Zapatera tribe to win in the finale). A lot of players play for second place. It's not that bad and maybe they would invite him again for another season.

I think Ralph is misspelling the names on purpose.
Old 04-21-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
One night Matt dreamed he was walking along the Redemption Island beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from his time on Survivor flashed across the sky.
In each scene he noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered him because he noticed
that during the low periods of his game,
when he was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
he could see only one set of footprints.

So he said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of Survivor: Redemption Island
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you.

"And stop trusting Boston Rob,
he'll just screw you over again."
Old 04-21-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post

So not only do you think he's smart enough to spell Phil, you think he's clever enough to play that a character that is that incredibly stupid? To what end? It's not like the jury would consider his (lack) of intelligence, the final vote is most likely going to come down to tribe v tribe will Phil getting no votes
Old 04-21-11, 06:37 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
So not only do you think he's smart enough to spell Phil, you think he's clever enough to play that a character that is that incredibly stupid? To what end? It's not like the jury would consider his (lack) of intelligence, the final vote is most likely going to come down to tribe v tribe will Phil getting no votes
I think it's more basic than that. People draw smiley faces or pictures or other identifying marks on their votes. Maybe that's just what Ralph does with his ballot so that others will know it's his vote. Sometimes, they do not reveal all the votes (to the viewers but I think also to the tribe) so it's may be a way to keep track of which ones are shown since not everyone will recognize someone's handwriting.
Old 04-21-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who knows why he's doing it, but I do agree that it's on purpose. Just last week he wrote down Philite and now Phile. I still think he's a moron and this is just some ill-conceived strategy. Wait until the reunion when he reveals that he's an English professor at Yale.
Old 04-21-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Wait until the reunion when he reveals that he's an English professor at Yale.

Maybe at Brown, not Yale.
Old 04-22-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However, to answer NORML's question (and other posters who have piled on Ralph), he probably made it to his age by having common sense and working hard. I have known dozens (maybe hundreds) of "Ralphs" during my lifetime. I haven't yet met a hard worker and likable guy like Ralph who asked for hand-outs or tried to live beyond his means. The Ralphs of this world tend to be honest people who will go out of their way to help others and keep the plumbing running, the grocery shelves stocked, and the roads paved for the PhD's of the world. Maybe they aren't great at Spelling Bees, but they tend to have a good sense of humor, don't act like snobs, and can keep a confidence.

On the other hand, I have known a lot of highly-intelligent people who stayed in debt, expected others to wait upon them, were extremely selfish, couldn't handle personal relationships, and just generally behaved like miserable human beings.

I'll take Ralph as a neighbor any day over David.

Hey...the dumb farmer is still in the game. The lawyer is sitting on the jury.
first post of yours that i liked in the survivor threads.
Old 04-22-11, 09:09 AM

Some rather sweeping generalizations there. Nice people come from all backgrounds, educational and economic. So do complete jackasses. To say the because Ralph is probably poor and uneducated, he's therefore probably a nice guy, is just silly. It's a reductionist, oversimplified, and frankly lazy way of looking at the world.
Old 04-22-11, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt has gone from annoying to hilarious. Watching him suffer and cry like a baby is so satisfying.
Old 04-22-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This week's blog...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfIbafDO-xo?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YfIbafDO-xo?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 04-23-11, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
Some rather sweeping generalizations there. Nice people come from all backgrounds, educational and economic. So do complete jackasses. To say the because Ralph is probably poor and uneducated, he's therefore probably a nice guy, is just silly. It's a reductionist, oversimplified, and frankly lazy way of looking at the world.
I would point out that not proof-reading your post is, frankly, lazy...but that would be, frankly, mean.

Actually, I was judging my impression of Ralph from what the producers have chosen to show of Ralph thus far. From his interactions with other contestants, he seems to be a nice guy. David, on the other hand, did not seem very likable...quite argumentative with a perpetual scowl on his face in the early stages.

If you'd chosen to actually do the un-lazy thing and actually READ my post, you'd notice that I said that the "hard-working and likable" people such as Ralph appears to be are nice people & do well for themselves...not that he's nice because he's "probably poor & uneducated". I also said that I have known "a lot" of highly-educated people who aren't very nice. That leaves quite a few highly-educated people who ARE nice.

My point was that one cannot automatically judge people by their (apparent) educational backgrounds regarding social skills, economic capabilities, etc. in answer to the question, "How did someone so stupid manage to live so long?" I was pointing out that stereotypes about one's socio-economic/educational backgrounds are often wrong, and was questioning THOSE "sweeping generalizations".

In the spirit of charity, though, I'll overlook the obvious lack of critical reading/thinking skills & simply say this:

Projecting your own sentiments onto someone else's post to make a point goes beyond being lazy & silly. It's just plain wrong, and proves nothing except that one is fond of straw men.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-23-11 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-23-11, 03:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
first post of yours that i liked in the survivor threads.
Well, I'll certainly work to correct that (last post probably set the world back in order).
Old 04-23-11, 03:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Well then that gives you plenty of time to prepare your next sermon. I know you must have been upset last week when no one took your bait, but you may not even need to go fishing next week. I look forward to your happiness.
I was originally upset, but I knew you'd swallow the bait this week.

And I was right!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

As Phil says, ,"If you start something with me, I'm going to finish it, Baby! Ka-Chow!"

P.S. Sermon's been ready for the last three weeks.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-23-11 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-23-11, 03:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
Philip in his confessional this week say he knows he won't get the votes (from the Zapatera tribe to win in the finale). A lot of players play for second place. It's not that bad and maybe they would invite him again for another season.

They used to give $100,000 to the runner-up. I guess Phil's counting on being voted "Most Popular Player" by the audience.
Old 04-23-11, 05:06 PM

I would point out that not proof-reading your post is, frankly, lazy...but that would be, frankly, mean.
Boy, you're just piles of fun, aren't you?
Old 04-23-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think we could say the same about you lately.
Old 04-23-11, 05:14 PM
Banned

All of my legions of warlock fans think so.

Aww, lighten up. It's always fun to pick at somebody who makes spelling errors while calling others "uneducated" due to their perceived lack of spelling ability.

If you can't laugh at yourself now & then, you can't be much of a judge of fun.

Don't be a Rob-Zombie!!! Think for yourself, man!
Old 04-23-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,308 Posts

This was a really annoying episode. Phil was an asshole for playing the race card with Steve. His whole federal agent schtick and how he can read people is so annoying.

I'm going to lose my mind these last few weeks with Phil walking around in his nasty ass pink underwear.

Future Survivor contestants, please wear boxers or bring a decent pair of shorts/trunks!!
Old 04-23-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm still 50/50 on whether they finally admit to us at the reunion that Phil is a homeless guy who they found outside the Survivor offices during casting.
Old 04-23-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Future Survivor contestants, please wear boxers or bring a decent pair of shorts/trunks!!
In the alternate reality where I apply for Survivor and get accepted I always figured I would wear layers and layers of clothing for every official on location event prior to the start of the show so I would never get stuck with just what I was wearing.
Old 04-23-11, 11:53 PM

Aww, lighten up. It's always fun to pick at somebody who makes spelling errors while calling others "uneducated" due to their perceived lack of spelling ability.
Some folks were poking fun at Ralph's spelling in these threads, but at no point was I one of them. Not that something so unimportant as a fact should get in your way....
Old 04-24-11, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
I'm still 50/50 on whether they finally admit to us at the reunion that Phil is a homeless guy who they found outside the Survivor offices during casting.
Maybe he's Ted Williams' cousin.
Old 04-24-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm hoping we find out that Philip is really being played by Patrick Stewart in a "Tropic Thunder-esque" turn.
Old 04-24-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

They used to give $100,000 to the runner-up.
I'm pretty sure they still do.

Anyway, playing for 2nd place isn't a bad idea at all. It's much easier to ride coattails and be unlikable than it is to make it to the end by being good physically, socially and strategically. And if you're lucky enough to get a vindictive jury, you might even win.
Old 04-24-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

They used to give $100,000 to the runner-up.
I'm pretty sure they still do.

Thats why playing for 2nd place isn't a bad idea at all. It's much easier to ride coattails and be unlikable than it is to make it to the end by being good physically, socially and strategically. And if you're lucky enough to get a vindictive jury, you might even win.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.