Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Series Premiere -- "Winter is Coming" -- 4/17/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How will you be watching Game of Thrones?
HBO Subscriber - Can't wait
45.38%
Temporary HBO Subscriber - Once season is done, cancelling
7.56%
Only Watching episode 1 through Free Preview, DVD's and BD for rest
6.72%
Will have to wait until the DVD and BD of season 1 is released
14.29%
Poor and Cheap - Will find some other way to watch this.
23.53%
Not watching. Doesn't interest me.
2.52%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones -- Series Premiere -- "Winter is Coming" -- 4/17/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones -- Series Premiere -- "Winter is Coming" -- 4/17/11

Loved it! Maybe a bit slow, but I didnt mind. rather they take the time and build it up slowly. This could be a pretty epic series. Hope they'll keep going with the other books.
Old 04-17-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So you didn't even bother talking to your cable company to see if you can at least get a discount for 3 months? Ahhh David you disappoint me.

Directv normally changes $16 a month, but I asked about a discount and they are taking $5 off per month for 3 months. I initially wasn't planning on keeping it after the 3 months, but I love the original programs and them also including the HBO Go website where I can stream the movies and all their HBO series was an extra bonus, so I think I'm keeping it.
Nope, feeling a little pinched right now for both time and $ and not excited about spending the former getting a sales pitch to spend the latter. I know it's lame, but your story about getting sucked in full-time doesn't help convince me.
Old 04-17-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was excellent, although it's difficult to get adjusted to the fast pace of a story that is so gradual and detailed on the page. I felt the same way after watching the first LOTR movie for the first time.

Also, this show has a lot of boobs.
Old 04-17-11, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For not knowing what to expect at all, I really liked it. The pace seemed fine to me.
Old 04-17-11, 11:03 PM

I knew absolutely nothing going in and completely loved it. Can't wait for more.
Old 04-17-11, 11:15 PM
Banned

Wow.

This show is everything that Camelot is not.
Old 04-17-11, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

As I was watching this, I was afraid it might be hard to follow for someone not familiar with the books. Glad to know that wasn't the case.
Old 04-17-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shady12
Both of those were straight from the books from what I remember.
No, I mean the FX for the climbing scenes were the only really poor thing visually.

And the dry humping was definitely not straight from the books. But I don't care if they copy the books, that was just odd looking either way. Either have them having sex, or leave it out completely.
Old 04-17-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
For not knowing what to expect at all, I really liked it. The pace seemed fine to me.
Me too. The implied incest between the wannabe king and his sister was a bit creepy. This is going to be one of those shows I can't get high to watch, too many characters to keep track of. Who was it pounding the queen at the end? Also, I love the dwarf character.
Old 04-17-11, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Me too. The implied incest between the wannabe king and his sister was a bit creepy. This is going to be one of those shows I can't get high to watch, too many characters to keep track of. Who was it pounding the queen at the end? Also, I love the dwarf character.
Minor spoilers on the back story of the wannabe king, and why he's so creepy:

Spoiler:
The wannabe king (Viserys) and his sister (Daenerys) are of House Targaryen, which ruled Westeros for 300 years. They had a tradition of marrying their sisters, which means that after 300 years of inbreeding, Viserys is a little fucked in the head. That also explains the implied incest -- to Viserys, the incest is perfectly appropriate.

The queen (Cersei) was being pounded by her twin brother, Jaime. The imp (Tyrion) is also their brother.
Old 04-17-11, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
No, I mean the FX for the climbing scenes were the only really poor thing visually.

And the dry humping was definitely not straight from the books. But I don't care if they copy the books, that was just odd looking either way. Either have them having sex, or leave it out completely.
I just figured they were really humping.
Old 04-17-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I absolutley loved it. It was exactly what it was in my head. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 04-17-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Minor spoilers on the back story of the wannabe king, and why he's so creepy:

Spoiler:
The wannabe king (Viserys) and his sister (Daenerys) are of House Targaryen, which ruled Westeros for 300 years. They had a tradition of marrying their sisters, which means that after 300 years of inbreeding, Viserys is a little fucked in the head. That also explains the implied incest -- to Viserys, the incest is perfectly appropriate.

The queen (Cersei) was being pounded by her twin brother, Jaime. The imp (Tyrion) is also their brother.
So, basically one can sum up the pilot in two words, incest & titties
Old 04-17-11, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
As I was watching this, I was afraid it might be hard to follow for someone not familiar with the books. Glad to know that wasn't the case.
I did have to hit the back button quite a few times to fully digest some things, but having the captioning on helped a lot as well.

So is this basically going in the exact order the book goes?
Old 04-18-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aktick
I did have to hit the back button quite a few times to fully digest some things, but having the captioning on helped a lot as well.

So is this basically going in the exact order the book goes?
I don't know about "exact order" when considering switching POVs between characters who are in different locations, but yes, the events of the plot are happening in the same order as the book. It's a faithful adaptation.

A lot of good stuff is condensed or trimmed out completely though, which of course isn't surprising.
Old 04-18-11, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been anticipating this for a while, I really enjoyed it although a few things felt off to me.

The Bran climbing scenes were the only part where the effects suffered.

The Dothraki "savageness" almost came across as comical rather than serious.

I also pictured the king much taller, in the books he was fairly large and intimidating even though he'd gotten fat, but that's just a minor thing that only someone who had read the books would care about.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Nope, feeling a little pinched right now for both time and $ and not excited about spending the former getting a sales pitch to spend the latter. I know it's lame, but your story about getting sucked in full-time doesn't help convince me.
I had about a ten minute conversation with my cable company, not only did they knock some off my monthly bill but they threw in HBO and Showtime free for a year, and no contract. It was way better than the potential $15 extra a month for just HBO.

Originally Posted by NORML54601
So, basically one can sum up the pilot in two words, incest & titties
That's my biggest worry for the show, that it might be written off by those new to the series because of the violence (beheadings)....and incest and titties. I'm going to try and get my wife to watch it, but I could see her dismissing it. It's been a while since I read the books, I had forgotten how prominent those elements were, what I remember most is the power struggle and characters, and I think those will start to take over in the forthcoming episodes.
Old 04-18-11, 01:55 AM

The premiere was great and I have no doubt the series will be spectacular, provided HBO doesn't cancel it after two seasons.
Old 04-18-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I

I also pictured the king much taller, in the books he was fairly large and intimidating even though he'd gotten fat, but that's just a minor thing that only someone who had read the books would care about.
Yeah, him looking up to Ned was sort of strange, but I suppose there are only so many 6'7"+ actors out there that can actually act.
Old 04-18-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Great premiere episode! Usually it takes me a few episodes to really get into any of these shows (Boardwalk Empire took about 5 or 6 episodes to really make me look forward to the upcoming episodes). They did a good job of identifying the key characters and what they motives might be, so the show really got off running!
Old 04-18-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I haven't read the books, but I enjoyed the show. The wedding scene was bizarre to me. I figured they were implying sex, but the obvious shots of them with pants on confused me. They had no problem with nudity elsewhere, but I guess that was too much? I'll definitely keep watching.
Old 04-18-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely loved it.

I sure hope this gets enough subscriptions to offset the high production costs and we get all 7 seasons.
Old 04-18-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Great start to the series, IMO. When it was over, my gf who is unfamiliar with the books said "So, it ended with incest and a 10 year-old getting pushed out of a 5 story window...what type of books do you read?!" I found that pretty funny.

For the most part I feel they did a great job with the cast. Viserys looks exactly as I pictured him while going through the book. Just the look on his face makes you want to hit him.
Old 04-18-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was okay. Not a lot of there there.
Old 04-18-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Great start to the series, IMO. When it was over, my gf who is unfamiliar with the books said "So, it ended with incest and a 10 year-old getting pushed out of a 5 story window...what type of books do you read?!" I found that pretty funny.

For the most part I feel they did a great job with the cast. Viserys looks exactly as I pictured him while going through the book. Just the look on his face makes you want to hit him.
YUP My wife said it was a well made show, however she was annoyed how dark/twisted/demented it was..Rape and Incest!..and how it felt like there was no 'light' in the show..and then she was talking about how they just killed Bran...
Old 04-18-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Not a lot of there there.
What does that even mean?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.