TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fringe -- "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide" -- 4/15/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fringe -- "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide" -- 4/15/11

Originally Posted by mhg83
I thought the style of animation was what they used in a scanner darkly?
I don't know if it was, but it did remind me of that also Waltz with Bashir.

I kept looking for a cartoon observer. I'm sure I missed it.
Old 04-16-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mugwump
This episode single-handedly cemented why Fringe is my current favorite TV show and also why it will never be a mass-market hit. What insanity thought this stuff up? And tripping Broyles was most definitely the highlight.
Old 04-16-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

This is probably my favorite episode so far (I'm not a regular viewer).

One thing that cracks me up is I live in Jacksonville, FL which is obviously the Jacksonville they're referring to (not sure if it's mentioned with state -- but our E. Union St. is close to the Matthews Bridge/Expressway ), I love the naming schemes here -- "Jacksonvile Military Base" "Jacksonville Day Care", etc;

To their credit, it was kind of cool seeing something that resembles our downtown and naval station in Waking Life animation.
Old 04-16-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

One thing that cracks me up is I live in Jacksonville, FL which is obviously the Jacksonville they're referring to (not sure if it's mentioned with state -- but our E. Union St. is close to the Matthews Bridge/Expressway ), I love the naming schemes here -- "Jacksonvile Military Base" "Jacksonville Day Care", etc;

To their credit, it was kind of cool seeing something that resembles our downtown and naval station in Waking Life animation.
Same here. Just the fact that they did a moments worth of research to name drop Union St. and Matthews impressed the hell out of me. Even though downtown looks nothing like that, LOL
Old 04-16-11, 05:34 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I thought the style of animation was what they used in a scanner darkly?
No, that was rotoscoping... this was more in line of the "quick let's get it done quick" kinda like a Robbie William's video.
Old 04-16-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Same here. Just the fact that they did a moments worth of research to name drop Union St. and Matthews impressed the hell out of me. Even though downtown looks nothing like that, LOL
The moments check = "Somebody hop on Google Maps and look up downtown Jacksonville"
Old 04-16-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved, loved the episode. And the ending was great.

But yeah, the animation was mediocre. But I didn't care.
Old 04-16-11, 09:47 PM

Awesome episode!
Old 04-17-11, 12:46 AM

Anyone have a nice HD still of the "How Wonderful" scene? I'd love to make it my desktop background but fullscreen screenshots from Hulu at 480p are coming out fuzzy.
Old 04-17-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Whew, finally caught up.
I started watching shortly after the season 4 renewal, having originally dropped it after episode 3.
I'm glad I gave it a second chance. Besides "Black Betty" (which almost made me stop again) it's been one hell of a ride. The show's consistently awesome.

Only minor critique would be the mad love between Olivia and Peter that kinda came out of nowhere. The attraction/chemistry was always there but it seems they wen't to full blown "made for each other" in one episode. On the other hand I get the desire to appeal to more viewers...

Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 04-17-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I think this is a larger version of the same file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26379203/vlc...0h41m17s12.png

Last edited by shadowhawk2020; 04-17-11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 06:53 PM

Awesome, that's perfect. Thanks!
Old 04-17-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

OMG, that episode was so good. It was Fringe on drugs.

at Broyles being high on LSD most of this episode and analyzing licorice and seeing cartoon birds.

The animated sequences were pretty good too. I don't think Olivia's animated character was as good as Peter and Walter's. I thought it was a really fun way to bring Olivia back.

I guess Nimoy's special appearance was sitting in an audio booth recording lines for this episode. I assume he's back to being "retired" now.
Old 04-17-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

I'm glad you watched, but the show is pretty heavily serialized. Personally I wouldn't pick and choose episodes to watch as it would be hard to appreciate the characters and all the events they went through. If I just randomly watched this episode after not having seen the entire season, I would have no clue what anything meant.
Old 04-17-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've loved every single thing that Fringe has done since episode 1.

I hated this episode something fierce. Thank christ they didn't put Bell in a computer. Yet anyway. Ugh.

I'm glad you guys dug it, but I thought it was absolutely terrible. Between the terrible animation and straight up Inception storyline I could not get into it at all.
Old 04-17-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I've loved every single thing that Fringe has done since episode 1.

I hated this episode something fierce. Thank christ they didn't put Bell in a computer. Yet anyway. Ugh.

I'm glad you guys dug it, but I thought it was absolutely terrible. Between the terrible animation and straight up Inception storyline I could not get into it at all.
Well it improved on Inception at least which is a complete exposition slogfest
Old 04-18-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had to make it my phone background...
Old 04-18-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm glad you watched, but the show is pretty heavily serialized. Personally I wouldn't pick and choose episodes to watch as it would be hard to appreciate the characters and all the events they went through. If I just randomly watched this episode after not having seen the entire season, I would have no clue what anything meant.
My issue with Fringe is I like the overarching storyline but am not a big fan of the MOTW stylings. I've watched more this season than any prior, it's just more interesting and I feel like I do have a feel for the characters at this point.

That said, I do understand what you mean Will have to go back at some point and fill in the blanks.
Old 04-18-11, 08:18 AM
ATX

^ they've actually become decent at making fotw/motw episodes

they are incorporating em now in both red & blue episodes and they seem to be written alot better
Old 04-18-11, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So Bell being inside Olivia was essentially 2-3 episodes of nothing just so Olivia knows who will 'kill' her?
Old 04-18-11, 10:18 AM
ATX

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So Bell being inside Olivia was essentially 2-3 episodes of nothing just so Olivia knows who will 'kill' her?
well, now that you mention it...

just gotta assume that either they are trying to set up a new character for the finale/next season or they are trying to fill the 24 episodes

the next episode is red i believe, maybe dudes a super soldier assassin walternate is sending over to kill olivia

he was in a zepellin, so it has something to do with redworld
Old 04-18-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Although I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, this was exactly what I concluded after thinking about it for a minute. I enjoyed the ride but three shows just for a 5 second payoff in that final scene? And nobody dies in TV shows anymore so you know Bell will be back. So you have to wonder, in terms of story progression, whether the point of this Bell arc was just a self-indulgent stab at animation.

This show is very "bipolar" for me. On the one hand, the science and the logic can be embarrassingly bad and there are a lot of stories that lead nowhere. On the other hand, I really don't care because the show is so bloody entertaining!

[Edit] I also wonder whether the "me" when she says "he's the one who's going to kill me" is alt-Olivia?
Old 04-18-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
Although I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, this was exactly what I concluded after thinking about it for a minute. I enjoyed the ride but three shows just for a 5 second payoff in that final scene? And nobody dies in TV shows anymore so you know Bell will be back. So you have to wonder, in terms of story progression, whether the point of this Bell arc was just a self-indulgent stab at animation.

This show is very "bipolar" for me. On the one hand, the science and the logic can be embarrassingly bad and there are a lot of stories that lead nowhere. On the other hand, I really don't care because the show is so bloody entertaining!

[Edit] I also wonder whether the "me" when she says "he's the one who's going to kill me" is alt-Olivia?
I think maybe a little of Bell coming back was for Walter to be able to move on. He had been complaining that he couldn't get along without Bell. Now, Walter can have confidence that Bell thinks he will do the right thing.
Old 04-19-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This episode had hints of Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly, Dreamscape, and Inception
Old 04-21-11, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Tripping Broyles was just awesome

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.