Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What should I watch next? Buffy vs BSG

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What TV Show should I watch next?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
66.00%
Battlestar Galactica (2003)
34.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And why?

I just finished Firefly and loved it. So I was thinking about starting Buffy. But I have read so much about BSG lately that I thought that I should give it a try.

Favorite shows: Lost, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, those are one of the recent ones.

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars, I've watched all the movies, all six of them, some a few times. I've never watched any Star Trek movie or TV show. This is why I was never interested in BSG, silly me, I know.
Old 04-14-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What should I watch next? Buffy vs BSG

If you loved Firefly, watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. I'm sure you could find a list somewhere of what order to watch the episodes so that they sync up.

I liked Battlestar Galactica, but it doesn't even compare to Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Old 04-14-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BSG.

Enjoyed both a lot, but BSG is consistently great throughout the entire run. A few duds, but collectively made for a great experience.

Buffy felt like a chore to sit through the last couple of seasons.
Old 04-14-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're watching Buffy straight through to the end, the last few seasons are just fine. Like I said, I'd also highly recommend watching Angel which I think ultimately ended up being the better show.
Old 04-14-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Buffy then right after Angel.
Old 04-15-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Buffy then right after Angel.
Originally Posted by kstublen
If you loved Firefly, watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. I'm sure you could find a list somewhere of what order to watch the episodes so that they sync up.
THIS. You only need to sync with Angel up to a certain point though (the shows lose cross-overs when one moved to UPN from WB). There is a list on here somewhere... hopefully the person who penned it will be able to find it faster than I and link it. (I think this might suffice though I swear there is a better one around here...)

BSG is good, but Buffy is just a different show. All in all there were so many characters in BSG that I found it much more difficult for me to care about them the way that you might with the characters on Buffy. I don't think I was nearly moved to tears during BSG compared to Buffy. Firefly is actually an interesting intro to Joss Whedon which you will see in full force via Buffy.

ENJOY!

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-15-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-15-11, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love both shows, but Buffy/Angel are in my top 5 of all time.
If you do decide to do Buffy you should know that the first season is a bit rough, it doesnt become great until the start of the second season.
Old 04-15-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffy.
Old 04-15-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously Buffy is more like Firefly, but I think BSG is more like the other favorite shows you mentioned. BSG is more serialized and less monster of the week, more character driven and more "mature". Buffy's more fun, at least most of the time. It can have some real heavy moments/episodes, and in some ways the contrast actually heightens the impact of those moments.
Old 04-15-11, 03:44 PM

Buffy for sure (and Angel)! BSG was great but Buffy is a permanent part of my psyche and I still use quotes from that show, bought the series and still watch it. You just have to keep in perspective the time it was released and know it starts out very hokey high school but gets better and better. Very different shows but Buffy is a much more rewarding experience.

I really enjoyed BSG but it was just a show and I really don't think about it or care anymore. Buffy was like a good friend that you'll always love and remember.
Old 04-15-11, 04:59 PM

They're both great shows, but my vote goes to Buffy and Angel. That's 12 seasons total, so if you want something shorter go with BSG. The easiest way to watch Buffy and Angel is to watch a disc of Buffy and then a disc of Angel starting with Buffy season 4. There isn't a lot of overlap anyway. If you want to watch them in the actual order of airdate, switching back and forth after each episode, I recommend being careful finding a list to go by. I came across a few spoilers while looking for one before I watched the shows.
Old 04-15-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
And why?

I just finished Firefly and loved it. So I was thinking about starting Buffy. But I have read so much about BSG lately that I thought that I should give it a try.

Favorite shows: Lost, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, those are one of the recent ones.

I'm not a big fan of Star Wars, I've watched all the movies, all six of them, some a few times. I've never watched any Star Trek movie or TV show. This is why I was never interested in BSG, silly me, I know.
I vote Buffy. And if it helps, I love Firefly, Lost, Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I too have watched all 6 Star Wars movies. Some more than once. And I don't care for them either. But I have watched all the Star Trek shows and movies and enjoy them (but LOVE Deep Space Nine). Finally, I watched BSG and really wasn't overly impressed with it. So that should give my vote a little more weight.
Old 04-17-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I vote Buffy. And if it helps, I love Firefly, Lost, Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I too have watched all 6 Star Wars movies. Some more than once. And I don't care for them either. But I have watched all the Star Trek shows and movies and enjoy them (but LOVE Deep Space Nine). Finally, I watched BSG and really wasn't overly impressed with it. So that should give my vote a little more weight.

Really surprised seeing the results, I was expecting a closer vote.
Old 04-17-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Because
U want to sink your
Fangs into a
Frakking great show
You'll love.
Old 04-17-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Battlestar was good but overly serious. I liked Buffy because it combines horror, comedy and action.
Old 04-17-11, 04:26 PM

Buffy is one of the the best shows I've ever watched, right up there with The Wire and Rome. BSG was ultimately one of the most disappointing. I found the last season and a half a real chore to get through, and the ending to be just terrible.
Old 04-17-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Battlestar. I had zero interest in Buffy. My wife loves it, but I couldn't stomach more than a few minutes of it at a time. Although, I will confess to watching the entire episode called "The Body."
Old 04-17-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buffy has a few arcs of absolute genius, but most of the time it's just standalone episodes, and it does become a chore to watch. I think BSG is much better. Buffy would have benefited from shorter seasons.
Old 06-03-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the first episode last night (Buffy). Pretty impressed. Somehow I was expecting a slower start, or maybe this is just my kind of show.

I've read in the past that you have to be patient with this show, the first two seasons are not that good. Also that the last two seasons are bad, LOL!, but it seems the 3 seasons in the middle are classic tv. How true is that?
Old 06-03-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I
I've read in the past that you have to be patient with this show, the first two seasons are not that good. Also that the last two seasons are bad, LOL!, but it seems the 3 seasons in the middle are classic tv. How true is that?
Very accurate.

Season 1 - ok, decent setup
Seasons 2 and 3 - epic and awesome
Season 4 - slides down a bit
Season 5 - better than 4
Season 6 - pretty bad
Season 7 - not great, better than 6, ends pretty strong
Old 06-03-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I watched the first episode last night (Buffy). Pretty impressed. Somehow I was expecting a slower start, or maybe this is just my kind of show.

The final two seasons have some problems... season six has quite a few interesting things going on, but the overall execution is kind of a mess. Season seven starts out strong, sags in the middle, and ends good, though it has a different set of problems as well, mostly bringing in a lot of new and minor characters and having a "big bad" who has a plan that doesn't make a lot of sense... ...also, the writers seem to have lost track of a pretty key point in the mythology of the series:

(Don't read unless you've seen season seven)
Spoiler:
Namely, that the First Evil is attempting to destroy the slayer line by killing all of the potentials until only Buffy is left. Problem is, it tries to kill Faith mid-season, who is the "real" slayer, not Buffy. As such, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in keeping Buffy alive since killing her won't activate another slayer, but killing Faith would.
Old 06-04-11, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You are killing me man! I just watched the first episode and you are putting spoilers that I can't read until I watch season seven!
Old 06-04-11, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Raul3, avoid all temptation to read spoilers. When I first watched the entire series on DVD years after the show had ended I remained relatively spoiler-free, but there were a few things I inadvertently stumbled on and I really wish I hadn't. It's a great show, from start to finish (despite a few missteps) and you'll be glad you watched it.

But, as much as I loved Buffy The Vampire Slayer, I think Angel is the better show. I highly recommend watching it alongside Buffy once you reach a certain point in Buffy (I won't tell you when specifically to avoid any potential spoilers, albeit some fairly obvious ones, but you'll know when).

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
(Don't read unless you've seen season seven)
Spoiler:
Namely, that the First Evil is attempting to destroy the slayer line by killing all of the potentials until only Buffy is left. Problem is, it tries to kill Faith mid-season, who is the "real" slayer, not Buffy. As such, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in keeping Buffy alive since killing her won't activate another slayer, but killing Faith would.
In response (and again, don't read unless you've seen the entire series):

Spoiler:
Yeah, I always wondered about that myself. It seems a pretty glaring error and one I have never heard an adequate explanation for.

When Buffy dies the first time, Kendra is chosen as the Slayer; Buffy is brought back to life and so there are two Slayers. When Kendra dies, Faith is chosen as the Slayer and there are still two Slayers. Eventually Buffy dies again, but there's nothing to suggest that a new Slayer takes her place. I guess it's possible that there was another Slayer besides Faith somewhere out there, and thus when Buffy is brought back to life again there are three Slayers; but I honestly doubt it. Of course, maybe the First Evil just wasn't sure exactly what would happen if Buffy died again and didn't want to risk it, but again, I find that hard to believe.

But even then, you'd think the First Evil would just take out Buffy first, even if she was the only Slayer. Buffy's proven a worthy adversary in the past and defeated so many big villains that you'd think the First Evil would rather take its chances with a new, more inexperienced Slayer.
Old 06-04-11, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Draven's breakdown of the seasons is pretty accurate. I would say the first season is the only one you have to be patient with, but it's not that bad because it's only a 13 ep season. If you aren't hooked by the middle of season 2 then you probably never will be.

Season 2 is many people's favorite, easily the best seasonal story arc of the series, but there are still a few clunker standalone eps. Season 3 is just packed with solid standalone episodes.
Old 06-04-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never watched Buffy during it's run, despite what I read about it. That's no knock on Buffy. I didn't watch much (any?) TV back then. I stumbled on Buffy when I got the DVD set for Season 4, so I started off watching Season 4. It just so happens I watched with a big Buffy fan who'd seen the whole thing. I quickly got into it, even starting at Season 4, and finished all the rest of the seasons as they came out. They I went back and watched Seasons 1-3. I could definitely see a difference in Season 1, but even watching it in the convoluted way I did, I still enjoyed the whole series.

None of that is particularly notable. What's notable to me is I'm not a Sarah Michelle Gellar fan, and I still was quite into a show where she starred. That's a credit to the rest of the talent involved, both in front of the camera and not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.