Old 04-14-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 470 Likes on 348 Posts
The Paul Reiser Show -- New NBC Comedy -- Premieres 4/14/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-04-14

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Paul Reiser (Paul Reiser) stresses about what to put as his occupation on his son's school form and his inconclusive answer motivates him to audition for producer Mark Burnett's (guest star Mark Burnett) new game show against Larry David (guest star Larry David). Meanwhile, Jonathan (Ben Shenkman), Fernando (Duane Martin) and Brad (Andrew Daly) get a little too caught up with their kids' school projects.

7 episodes

Promo:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNjMyNQ" width="512" height="354" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNjMyNQ==/"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/5-0/swf/DirectWidget.swf?CXNID=1000004.10045NXC&widID=4727a250e66f9723&configXML=http://www.nbc.com/service/videowidget/params/dmlkZW9faWQ9MTMxNjMyNQ==/" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="512" height="354" align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

In case any of you are interested. Here's a thread for the show.
Old 04-14-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Paul Reiser Show -- New NBC Comedy -- Premieres 4/14/11

I never watched Mad About You, but the clip I saw with Paul Reiser and Larry David made this show look like Curb Your Enthusiasm, just not as funny.
Old 04-14-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 470 Likes on 348 Posts

This has been sitting on the shelf for awhile. I can't imagine this getting big numbers, even if all of Reiser's fans from Mad About You tune in.
Old 04-14-11, 03:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, only 7 episode order. I plan on tuning in though.
Old 04-14-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

We're having weather tonight, so I doubt it will be on in Oklahoma.
Old 04-14-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

This would be big news if it was 1995 again.

I don't think he has a big name where most people will even know who he is.
Old 04-14-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The series sounds like it was a bad call.
Old 04-14-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, I've never really been exposed to Paul Resier aside from a few of his movie appearances, but I really don't find him that funny at all. The supporting cast is sort of 'meh' as well. Ben Shenkman (the reporter from Lights) was probably the best of the regulars and Larry David was the highlight of the episode, since he's basically playing himself from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Everyone else was way too over-the-top. Similar to Perfect Couples, I felt like everyone was yelling their lines at me.

This show has Curb Your Enthusiasm written all over it. From the semi-autobiographical premise right down to the music. And Paul Reiser seems like he's even trying to emulate Larry David's persona. But obviously Larry David doesn't mind that Reiser basically lifted Curb Your Enthusiasm's format, otherwise he wouldn't have appeared as a guest star.

Ben Shenkman's character saying, "Trust me, Larry David is not going to do a game show" was the only time I really laughed. Other than that though, the jokes all felt flat for me and as I said before, the cast was extremely weak.
Old 04-14-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I'll tune in now that I know Larry Davids in this episode. With 7 episodes, and being put on the air in April, I'm not holding out much hope. I'm going to say a 1.7 rating tomorrow.
Old 04-14-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 249 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
But obviously Larry David doesn't mind that Reiser basically lifted Curb Your Enthusiasm's format, otherwise he wouldn't have appeared as a guest star.
So Larry has the market cornered on semi-autobiographical shows? It is funny that they addressed the format during their lunch.

I thought the game show question/answers were pretty funny. "The last Olympics were held in..." "doors."

I also liked all the parents working on school projects without a single kid anywhere to be seen.

Also Ben Shenkman is a dead ringer for a young Harold Ramis.
Old 04-14-11, 11:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the weather missed OKC and they had regular programming. I didn't really like the show. I might give it one more chance but overall, it was pretty weak.
Old 04-14-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So Larry has the market cornered on semi-autobiographical shows? It is funny that they addressed the format during their lunch.
No, obviously not. A lot of shows are semi-autobiographical (Everybody Loves Raymond, Titus, etc.), but there's a difference between a show that might be based on someone's life and a show where someone plays a "real-world" version of "themselves." In Everybody Loves Raymond, Ray Romano based the show on his life and his stand-up, but he wasn't playing Ray Romano; whereas in Curb Your Enthusiasm Larry David plays Larry David, albeit a fictionalized version of himself.

My point was that this show is basically a carbon copy of Curb Your Enthusiasm, not just in the overall premise, but even in the circumstances of the leads: both had huge hits on NBC in the 90s and kept relatively quiet afterward. Even the music they used on this show was reminiscent of Curb. It just seems a poor imitation of a far superior show and that definitely would have taken away from my enjoyment of it, if I had any to begin with.

You're right. I didn't notice it so much when he was on Lights Out because he wasn't wearing glasses, but tonight I was trying to think of who he reminded me of and that's definitely it.
Old 04-14-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So
Yeah, I was wondering why he seemed so familiar even though I had never seen him before.

Also, I can only imagine this show exists because they had some left over scripts from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Even the actress playing Reiser's wife looked like Larry David's wife on that show.
Old 04-14-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm the only one that liked it. I'll watch again.
Old 04-15-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't like it at all. Blatant ripoff of Curb, which is shocking that David appeared on here considering how much of a ripoff it is. The cast of friends are annoying and not funny. Reiser is annoying and not funny, a main character with no redemptive qualities on the show that I could find. It tried to be narcissistic and dark humor, with flawed characters, at the same time trying to make them seem great by being awesome fathers who love their kids.

Like I said, a blatant ripoff of Curb, which wouldn't be so bad save one big little problem. It's on NBC, and thus has to be tamed down so much so that it's ridiculous. Trying to do a Curb Your Enthusiasm on network TV is insanity, and results in this show. Then combine the cast of co-stars, and Reiser in the lead? Wow, this was bad. Not Perfect Couples bad, one of the worst shows I've seen in years, but bad. But then again, it's on NBC, so not really a shock. They wonder why they are failing wildly in the ratings, all they need to do is look at whoever green lights these godawful shows, then puts two hours of Minute to Win It, Biggest Loser, Dateline NBC all in the same weeks, all during the weekday primetime. Never has a network not gotten it less than NBC does now.
Old 04-15-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend View Post
Yeah, I was wondering why he seemed so familiar even though I had never seen him before.

Also, I can only imagine this show exists because they had some left over scripts from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Even the actress playing Reiser's wife looked like Larry David's wife on that show.
I was waiting for her to go 'Pauuuuuuuuuuuuul'. Carbon copy of Curb. While not horrible, the pre-lim ratings have this at a 1.2...so it's dead.
Old 04-15-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 152 Posts

It wasn't bad at all, it was only okay though. But a mid-season entry with so few episodes doesn't give it much hope. I'll tune in though, maybe we'll see hints of Mad About You banter come in here and there. Didn't seem like any blatant ripoff of Curb though, maybe that's why David appeared in it. I'll watch the remaining six.
Old 04-15-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only scene I enjoyed was the one with Larry.

I was surprised at how much an attempted rip-off of Curb this was... even the music was very similar.

I didn't really care for any of Paul's friends - especially the dude complaining about Delaware who ate a banana.

I still think I will give it another chance to see how it is sans Larry cameo. And, what, no love for My Two Dads, Paul?
Old 04-15-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. A 1.1. It may just get pulled right away.
Old 04-15-11, 12:45 PM

That's a shame...i liked it. I've probably only seen one episode of Curb. But it does remind me of the (obviously) Seinfeld humor with a Mad About You sensibility .

I enjoyed the other fathers and laughed more in this episode than I have in all the perfect couples, mr sunshine and happy endings episodes combined.

I also enjoyed it without the aid of eye candy which is probably the only reason why I sat through the aforementioned shows.
Old 04-15-11, 02:22 PM
Banned

I thought the game show question/answers were pretty funny. "The last Olympics were held in..." "doors."
Yeah, but I couldn't believe they nicked the first one....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bNoV_kSe7Dk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-15-11, 04:17 PM

Larry David was the only good part about it.
Old 04-15-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it's no My Two Dads. Pity.

Old 04-16-11, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a few laughs out of it, but thought it was kinda weak. With the ratings it got, I doubt we'll get more than 7 episodes.
Old 04-16-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
The series sounds like it was a bad call.
I see what you did there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.