TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Old 03-22-11, 02:50 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,792
Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The package Lights delivered for Hal Brennan comes back to haunt him when a politician tied to Brennan gets caught up in a prostitution scandal. Meanwhile, Lights tries to help a punch-drunk former champ (David Morse).


Episode 11 of 13

Promo:

DJariya is offline  
Old 03-22-11, 10:22 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,568
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Just caught the last few eps...damn this show went from being pretty promising to a complete joke in a hurry.

You know they've done a shitty job when you want most of the main "good" characters to go down.
aktick is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 01:04 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,870
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

The show keeps trying to inject too much artificial drama into everything connected to Lights. Lights has plenty of problems that could make for compelling drama, but every episode seems to discard old problems for entirely new ones. Recent episodes have basically papered over the marital problems from earlier in the season. And with the developments in this latest episode, they are sending Lights down a dark path as a lead character. It is hard to sympathize with him or the nutty family members.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 03:55 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 6,998
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Maybe for season 2 they can rename the show "The Rainmaker" and we can follow David Morse's character with a one episode cameo from Lights. I'd much rather see his story. David Morse was incredible in tonight's episode. Probably the best thing about the series so far.
dino88 is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 08:15 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,834
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Yeah, he was great in every scene.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 01:03 PM
  #6  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,176
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Yeah, I'd tune in to a season about the Rainmaker -- unlikely we'll get another season out of this though. Sad to see how the quality has gown downhill since the initial episodes.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 04:41 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC-ish
Posts: 3,270
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Just caught the last few eps...damn this show went from being pretty promising to a complete joke in a hurry.

You know they've done a shitty job when you want most of the main "good" characters to go down.
I wouldn't mind if that oldest daughter went down, on me.

Ropes Pierre is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 09:23 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orange County
Posts: 4,915
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The show keeps trying to inject too much artificial drama into everything connected to Lights. Lights has plenty of problems that could make for compelling drama, but every episode seems to discard old problems for entirely new ones. Recent episodes have basically papered over the marital problems from earlier in the season. And with the developments in this latest episode, they are sending Lights down a dark path as a lead character. It is hard to sympathize with him or the nutty family members.
I've said this a couple of times too. This show could be riveting without all the manufactured bullshit. Focusing on Lights, his relationship with his family, and his march to a rematch with Death Row (who owns the screen every time he appears) would have been a great formula, IMO. Perhaps keep the retired boxer subplots (Morse was amazing, and the replacement trainer arc was the best of the series), but jettison all the underworld shit. The show has a big enough villain in Barry Word.
TimeandTide is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 07:50 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Times Square
Posts: 12,133
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Enjoying the series, mostly because of the terrific cast.

This was unusual: at 10PM (EDT) Tuesday, two first-run episodes aired, each with Pablo Schreiber and Bill Irwin in the cast. On FX, we had Lights Out, where they are regulars, and on CBS they were guest-starred on The Good Wife.
marty888 is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 03:00 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
yourlocalcinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 420
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Stuart Levine from Variety just posted on twitter that this has been cancelled.
yourlocalcinema is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 03:09 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 4,422
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema View Post
Stuart Levine from Variety just posted on twitter that this has been cancelled.
YIKES. So we'll get the final 2 & done?
uteotw is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 03:58 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
yourlocalcinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 420
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Yup. IGN posted about it and said we'll still get the last two on March 29th & April 5th.
yourlocalcinema is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 03:59 PM
  #13  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,681
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

I'm totally fine with this if they give us the rematch fight.
TGM is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 04:05 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 6,998
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
I'm totally fine with this if they give us the rematch fight.
Same here. Although, as little of boxing that we've actually seen, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale ended with him walking into the ring.
dino88 is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 04:49 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,176
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Not surprised.
Geofferson is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 05:00 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,834
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Same here. Although, as little of boxing that we've actually seen, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale ended with him walking into the ring.
That's exactly what I'm expecting.

If I knew it was going to be canceled after the first few eps, I would have been really upset and stupefied why this male-oriented F/X couldn't get ratings, but others can, but after the over-the-top storylines the last 5 or so eps, I'm not particularly upset.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 05:01 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
TheNightFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NIMBY, NY
Posts: 5,907
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Same here. Although, as little of boxing that we've actually seen, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale ended with him walking into the ring.
Yeah that crossed my mind when I read it was canceled.

Not really surprised it got yanked though.
TheNightFlier is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 07:26 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US
Posts: 9,629
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
That's exactly what I'm expecting.

If I knew it was going to be canceled after the first few eps, I would have been really upset and stupefied why this male-oriented F/X couldn't get ratings, but others can, but after the over-the-top storylines the last 5 or so eps, I'm not particularly upset.
Yeah, pretty much my thought also.
Dave99 is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 08:55 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,750
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

glad i stopped after the 1st episode.
Deftones is online now  
Old 03-24-11, 08:58 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
MrSmearkase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ayer, MA
Posts: 5,257
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

I'm going to miss the theme song
MrSmearkase is offline  
Old 03-24-11, 09:54 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 11,367
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Enjoying the series, mostly because of the terrific cast.

This was unusual: at 10PM (EDT) Tuesday, two first-run episodes aired, each with Pablo Schreiber and Bill Irwin in the cast. On FX, we had Lights Out, where they are regulars, and on CBS they were guest-starred on The Good Wife.
There were also three actors from the wire as well. Kind of weird seeing Pablo on both shows.
Michael T Hudson is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 12:50 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Cusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 7,545
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
There were also three actors from the wire as well. Kind of weird seeing Pablo on both shows.
Who was the 3rd? I recognize the Brother (Schreiber) and Barry, but can not remeber a third. Romeo was Sad from Oz; but not on The Wire.
Cusm is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 08:24 PM
  #23  
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 1,461
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

I'm disappointed that the show has been cancelled. Yeah some of the plot points were over the top, but the show is still easily one of the best on TV. Oh well...
IIG is offline  
Old 03-25-11, 11:01 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 11,367
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
Who was the 3rd? I recognize the Brother (Schreiber) and Barry, but can not remeber a third. Romeo was Sad from Oz; but not on The Wire.
Bodie Nick and Chris
Michael T Hudson is offline  
Old 03-26-11, 01:16 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Re: Lights Out -- "Rainmaker" -- 3/22/11

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
I'm going to miss the theme song
Really? I actually thought the intro song was just one of many terrible things about the show. It didn't go well with the show at all, imo, and almost made it seem cheap or something.
SexualPudding is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.