DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   America's Next Great Restaurant (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/588779-americas-next-great-restaurant.html)

Tracer Bullet 03-21-11 08:37 AM

America's Next Great Restaurant

Third episode aired last night-- is no one watching this? It's done by Magical Elves, the production company behind Top Chef. Not as good as that show--I don't care for any of the judges, (Bobby Flay is no Tom Colicchio) but it's decent.

Anyone else watching?

mphtrilogy 03-21-11 10:16 AM

Re: America's Next Great Restaurant

I've been watching, and it has indeed been decent. not as good as Top Chef, but it will be interesting to see some of these stores open... I don't know if any of them will last though.

I think the meltworks guy has a real chance, and to think he was the last one in off the bubble...

TimeandTide 03-21-11 11:52 AM

Been watching too.

Enjoying it so far, but the judges are quite annoying. They look and sound pissed off 95% of the time. (Although it was sort of fun to watch the Chipotle guys reactions as he was watching the contestants destroy his brand. Could tell that during those moments he was having second thoughts about being on the show.)

The only one of the remaining restaurants I would ever set food in is Soul Daddy. A soul food chain would be pretty awesome. The grilled cheese guy looks like the front-runner right now, but I would never eat there. Way too niche and unheathy.

And lol at the taco guy. A.) He's a major douche, and B.) his "edgy" taco joint wouldn't last a month in Southern CA (which already has his market cornered with a Chronic Tacos chain).

And the heaven/hell restaurant idea? Worst ever.

FantasticVSDoom 03-21-11 11:56 AM

Been watching but couldnt finish last night's episode so dont know who got the boot... I really find it hillarious though that everytime the dude from Chipotle is on, they have to introduce him as "the founder of Chipotle".

Lateralus 03-21-11 12:01 PM

Doug Heffernan should be posting in this thread!

Pizza 03-21-11 02:43 PM

I like it. I really want to be a contestant! Hopefully they'll do another season or two and i can apply.
I can't beieve how some of the folks fight with the investors. Personally, I hate the name 'saucy balls" especially with the cartoon image of grandma attached to it!

JasonF 03-21-11 02:56 PM

I'm enjoying it. A lot of the concepts seem solid, but I'm not sure any of the contestants have the ability to make them successful. But I think someone who knows what he's doing could go far with just about any one of those concepts.

That said -- opening simultaneously in three different cities? That's a recipe for failure.

deluis 03-21-11 11:49 PM

I've given up on the show. I can't stand the judges, especially the Chipotle guy. So annoying.

SexualPudding 03-22-11 12:36 AM

Lorena Garcia is easily the most annoying one for me. It was quite a nice rebound this week for the Soul Daddy guy. He was dead in the water before with that 3W's name and concept.

whotony 03-22-11 01:07 AM

Lorena Garcia looks so angry whenever she talks, don't like her.
The Choptle guy is a tool.

Maybe i'm have a red push issue but everyone's lips especially Flay's look
blood red and anything that's red for that matter look blown out to
be super red or bloody looking, really extreme this most recent episode.

mphtrilogy 03-22-11 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10689958)
Lorena Garcia looks so angry whenever she talks, don't like her.
The Choptle guy is a tool.

Maybe i'm have a red push issue but everyone's lips especially Flay's look
blood red and anything that's red for that matter look blown out to
be super red or bloody looking, really extreme this most recent episode.

thought it was just me and my tv, and thought i was going to have run video essentials again

DRG 03-22-11 11:14 AM

Not sure I agree with the judges about some of those new names. Wok may have been generic, but Chao is worse... it doesn't tell me anything about the food and not everyone will know how to pronounce it. Also not sure if Grillbillies is that much of an improvement over Hicks.

Soul Daddy was the biggest improvement by a long shot. That 3W name didn't make any sense to me, and the football motif logo just looked cheap.

DRG 03-22-11 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide (Post 10689003)
And lol at the taco guy. A.) He's a major douche, and B.) his "edgy" taco joint wouldn't last a month in Southern CA (which already has his market cornered with a Chronic Tacos chain).

And the heaven/hell restaurant idea? Worst ever.

The taco guy is definitely going the wrong way pushing the 'edgy' thing... his food concept seems to be based on the fusion element of atypical flavors/food types in a taco yet his signage and whatnot seem to all revolve around the cheesy rocker/Ed Hardy type motif, which already seems dated to me. I don't get the connection, and I'm not sure diners will either. Of course, it seems even within his concept the food wasn't that great so it may be a moot point either way.

I think ultimately the Saints/Sinners thing will just confuse people. Plus you'll run into a situation where people picking a sin dish will feel guilty and gluttonous, and people picking the saint dish will feel like they're compromising. Yes, that is a situation that people face anyway when eating out, but in this restaurant it's going to be rubbing it right in their face.

SexualPudding 03-22-11 02:32 PM

I think the Grillbillies name could work. The real problem is that those two can't figure out what their focus is food-wise. It's like they just pulled a new snappy name out of their asses and slapped it on the same confused concept they had with Hick's. On the other hand, one could argue that their BBQ concept really isn't any different or worse than the Soul Daddy guy or the Saints/Sinners thing-which I agree with the above poster on as far as it being an iffy concept for sustainability.

FantasticVSDoom 03-22-11 02:52 PM

I think its the Indian themed restaurants to lose... Out of the criteria they are looking for, it fits the bill. All these type of restaurants (quick casual) are all takes on "americanized" versions of foods, and its really the one area not hit yet (or at least that I am aware of). It also fits the bill with fairly healthy fare as well. All the others have been there/done that and dont really bring anything new to the table.

ATX 03-22-11 03:06 PM

yeah been watching...

i didn't know what the hell a tiffen box was, spice coast sounds better... not any indian cuisine "fast-casual" that i can think of off the top of my head so he has an opportunity with the right dishes

i thought the whole point of this show was for an ORIGINAL idea for a food establishment these guys could invest in

if you just gonna make another pizza joint or whatever, that aint enough to distinguish yourself from other restaurants

and what was up with the guy who has been talking hella shit since episode 1 and harrassing the girl that got eliminated last episode. was acting like an ass his way of showing that he liked her?

wishbone 03-22-11 03:08 PM

http://i55.tinypic.com/w86oes.jpg

And the Chipotle guy was giving people guff about their logos... :rolleyes:

Soul Daddy seems like an interesting concept with a lot of possibilities.

davidh777 03-22-11 03:23 PM

I wanted to watch this show because I like food competitions and dug the Great Food Truck Race, but just too behind on TV these days. -ohbfrank- Maybe I'll see if it's available on demand later.

Original Desmond 03-23-11 07:21 AM

not a bad show but just has a cheap feel to it

I've never heard of Chipotle before, we don't have any in Australia

My prediction is restaurants will open, do well with the show's publicity for the first year, then close within 3 years

That's what happened with the My restaurant rules show where the winners won their own restaurant. Closed after 2 years after a killer start.

rfduncan 03-23-11 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 10691531)
I've never heard of Chipotle before, we don't have any in Australia

Nor are you likely to ever see one there. Their concept WAS fresh "ingredients with integrity", but it has over-expanded as far as I'm concerned and has just turned into something a little less fast-food-ish than Taco Bell on the Tex-Mex scale once it got purchased by McDonald's.

LurkerDan 03-23-11 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 10691657)
Nor are you likely to ever see one there. Their concept WAS fresh "ingredients with integrity", but it has over-expanded as far as I'm concerned and has just turned into something a little less fast-food-ish than Taco Bell on the Tex-Mex scale once it got purchased by McDonald's.

Chipotle is not owned by McD's; McD's divested in 2006. And actually is, as I understand it, one of the leaders in buying as much local and "good" ingredients as possible; I find the quality of their food to be at the top of the fast food biz. From wiki

In 2001, Chipotle released a mission statement called Food With Integrity, which highlighted Chipotle's efforts to increase their use of naturally raised meat, organic produce, and dairy without added hormones.[4] All of Chipotle's pork is naturally raised – defined by the company as open-range, antibiotic free, and with a vegetarian diet – as well as 80% of its chicken and 85% of the beef (100% of the barbacoa served is from naturally-raised beef). The company formerly served 100% natural chicken, but demand exceeded supply.[60] Approximately 40% of the beans are organically grown,[61] and in 2011 approximately 5% of the beans will come from conservation tilling methods.[62] In 2009, Chipotle planned to serve over 60 million pounds (27 million kilograms) of naturally raised meat, more than any other restaurant company,[63] and plans to use 75 million pounds in 2010.[60] The company pledges to use more local produce when possible,[64][65] using "35 percent of at least one of its produce items for every restaurant sourced from small and midsize local farms throughout the growing season" in 2009,[4] and increasing to 50% in 2010.[66] Chipotle advertises its support of family farms, such as Niman Ranch, a California "natural" meat producer that contracts with farms in the Midwest to raise pork and other livestock.[67] All of the cheese and sour cream comes from cows that do not receive recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), and 30% of the dairy comes from open pasture cows.[68] Founder Steve Ells has testified before Congress in support of the Preservation of Antibiotics for Medical Treatment Act, which aims to reduce the amount of antibiotics given to farm animals

RichC2 03-23-11 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 10691657)

Haven't been to one in a while I take it?

Chipotle actually does use noticeably superior products compared to a lot of fast food places (a lot of local items, here at least). For a good comparison, just eat at Moe's or Qdoba, huge difference in quality. I couldn't care less about all their fair trade/organic mumbo jumbo they hang inside, I just know it tastes damn good and actually resembles the meat it's labeled to be, unlike some of the burrito chains.

McDonald's hasn't been a part of the picture since 2006, they were investors from 98 to 06, made their money and left shortly after Chipotle's IPO (which if I'm reading this right, made McDs a figurative fuck ton.)

TimeandTide 03-23-11 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 10690745)
I think its the Indian themed restaurants to lose... ...and its really the one area not hit yet (or at least that I am aware of). It also fits the bill with fairly healthy fare as well. All the others have been there/done that and dont really bring anything new to the table.

Are there any fast casual soul food restaurants? I'd have to drive into L.A. to find good soul food, and all of those places are mom and pop type joints. I'm thinking that soul food has a more mainstream and middle-America appeal than Indian food.

And speaking of "fast casual", other than Chipotle (which I love), what chains fall into this category? Pei Wei (an off-shoot of PF Chang's) is Chinese fast casual, but what else are we talking about?

RichC2 03-24-11 08:17 AM

Starbucks, Chipotle, Panda Express (non-mall locations. Oh and :down:), Moe's, Qdoba, Panera? I can't tell based on the wikipedia definition of Fast Casual, seems specific to Chipotle.

What are places like Boston Market, Tijuana Flats, Baja Fresh and Steak and Shake considered?

FantasticVSDoom 03-24-11 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide (Post 10692355)
Are there any fast casual soul food restaurants? I'd have to drive into L.A. to find good soul food, and all of those places are mom and pop type joints. I'm thinking that soul food has a more mainstream and middle-America appeal than Indian food.

And speaking of "fast casual", other than Chipotle (which I love), what chains fall into this category? Pei Wei (an off-shoot of PF Chang's) is Chinese fast casual, but what else are we talking about?

Well, I guess it depends where youre at but there are local fast soul food type places, but nothing national (that I can think of, maybe Golden Crust which is more island food). One of the issues I would think is that that type of cooking doesnt lend itself to fast casual. BBQ and soul food cooking by its nature is slow and low so. But I guess if someone can do it right, its a good concept.