Old 02-23-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Justified -- "The I of the Storm" -- 2/23/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-02-08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A church bus containing a shipment of painkillers is hijacked, and Boyd is considered the likely suspect. Roots-rock singer Dave Alvin performs in a sequence at a roadhouse, where Raylan is having a tryst with Winona.

Episode 3 of 13

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/btxl3DkSxGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-23-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Justified -- "The I of the Storm" -- 2/23/11

Wow...a Dave Alvin cameo. Very cool.
Old 02-23-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great episode. I had highly anticipated the return of Dewey Crowe, and they didn't let me down. He's such a great recurring character and I love the conversations Raylan has with him.

Dewey counting change at the beginning had me dying. Dewey's impersonation of Raylan was absolutely hilarious as well, particularly his continued use of Raylan's name and the line, "If I was you boys I'd give up this Oxy bullshit and go back to poachin' gators, it's safer." Loved him telling Raylan he was just confiscating the pills since he had been deputized and Raylan's reaction.

Dewey: "Raylan, please, I am begging you. Just give me 5 more minutes. I will do whatever you want!"

It's funny really, because Dewey is obviously a halfwit, but his dialogue is very smartly written; it helps that Damon Herriman does a great job in his portrayal of the character and delivery of the lines.

The scene where Raylan confronted Doyle and the informant was great, particularly the informant's reactions and Raylan implying Doyle was feeling him out to see if he was also a criminal. It's those types of scenes, and that type of dialogue, that make this show great. Raylan knows Doyle is corrupt and Doyle knows Raylan knows, but for the time being they're just waiting for the other to slip up.

Doyle confronting his brothers was also a great scene. It sets up the possibility of infighting within the Bennett clan and the Dixie Mafia as bad guys for future episodes/seasons. I loved Dickie's ringtone too, lol.

And it's about time Raylan and Winona sort of got everything out on the table. I can see why they got a divorce, it never seems that they'll never be on the same page as one another. I like Ava more anyway, she's a far more interesting character. I like how the Chief was concerned about Tim, and Raylan interpreted it as Tim having seen him and Winona. The Chief's running through of the possible people Raylan had been out with was great.

---

But this episode, far and away, was Boyd's show. It's incredible how far he's come from the start of the show. It was painful to see everyone just sort of chip away at him throughout the course of the episode. It made his breaking point all the more intense. Walton Goggins is doing a superb job playing Boyd too, with this calm before the storm sort of presence, which is probably one way the episode's title is supposed to be interpreted.

I mean, we all knew Boyd had the potential to just sort of snap, but he really just let loose on that guy. I wish people would just leave him alone and let him stay on the straight and narrow, but it doesn't seem anyone's willing to give him a break, especially Raylan. I get why Raylan was skeptical back in the first season, but a lot has happened since then; Boyd has had many chances to return to a life of crime and even turned on his own family in his quest for redemption. And yet, despite all of this, Raylan refuses to even entertain the notion that he might not be the same man he once was; it looks like that lack of faith might have actual consequences.

I thought for a second he was going to just back the truck up over him, but it looked as though he exercised some restraint. But still, the implications of him dragging Kyle from the truck are hard to tell just yet and it'll be interesting to see what happens with Boyd from here on out. I mean, on the one hand, he had tipped off Raylan about Dewey's location, something the old Boyd never would've done, but on the other hand, he really seemed to enjoy taking that guy for a ride, pun intended.

---

(sorry I wrote so much, lol)

Last edited by kstublen; 02-23-11 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Dewey counting change at the beginning had me dying. Dewey's impersonation of Raylan was absolutely hilarious as well, particularly his continued use of Raylan's name and the line, "If I was you boys I'd give up this Oxy bullshit and go back to poachin' gators, it's safer."
Was that a line Raylan said to Dewey in the first season?

And it's about time Raylan and Winona sort of got everything out on the table. I can see why they got a divorce, it never seems that they'll never be on the same page as one another. I like Ava more anyway, she's a far more interesting character.
I highly doubt they ever get back together. This season will more than likely be all him and Winona. The conversation on the porch actually made me think that Ava may die this season as a result of the trouble Boyd attracts (directly or indirectly).

I thought for a second he was going to just back the truck up over him, but it looked as though he exercised some restraint.
I saw that scene differently. I thought he was looking back and either making sure he was alive or thinking about going back to help him. Once he realized he was still alive, he drove away.

Last edited by dino88; 02-23-11 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dino88
Was that a line Raylan said to Dewey in the first season?
I think it was in the first episode, when Raylan first encountered Dewey he told him to "Give up this Nazi bullshit and go back to poaching gators, it's safer."

I highly doubt they ever get back together. This season will more than likely be all him and Winona. The conversation on the porch actually made me think that Ava may die this season as a result of the trouble Boyd attracts (directly or indirectly).
Oh I don't think they'll get back together either, but I just like her better than Winona, so it's a shame Raylan went back to his ex. And regarding Ava dying, I hadn't given it much thought since the only people on this show that have really died are the bad guys, but you could be onto something there. We might see Ava die this season because of Boyd, either as a result of him getting back into crime or a result of him refusing to get back into crime.

I saw that scene differently. I thought he was looking back and either making sure he was alive or thinking about going back to help him. Once he realized he was still alive, he drove away.
Yeah, I think you're right. I think it was more him making sure he was okay; I think I intuitively knew that too, but given what he had just done, I was worried we might see Boyd take it even further.
Old 02-23-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I definitely interpreted his look back as remorse, and he looked to be hoping he was OK. When he got up, Boyd drove away. I don't think running him over entered his mind, and I took it as a sign that there is still hope for Boyd.
Old 02-24-11, 12:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Loved Art giving Raylan shit about Wanda
Old 02-24-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I definitely interpreted his look back as remorse, and he looked to be hoping he was OK. When he got up, Boyd drove away. I don't think running him over entered his mind, and I took it as a sign that there is still hope for Boyd.
Yeah, I watched the second showing and I definitely think I had it wrong on the first viewing. What I initially took as potential excitement for Boyd during the scene, looked much more like fear and desperation. When he stopped I think I was initially concerned because the new Boyd has never really acted, but instead used his words. So once he finally let loose, I think I worried he might not be able to stop, but when I paid a bit closer attention, the expression on his face was definitely that of relief and regret.

Thanks for pointing this out, 'cause I probably wouldn't have thought otherwise. And yes, him regretting it definitely suggests there's hope for him yet.
Old 02-24-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Great episode as usual. Loved the return of Dewey Crowe.

at him ready to take a piss out of the bus window before it got hijacked.

at Dewey going into the store asking for a Ski Mask. I liked when the store owner told him to look for it on Ebay and he said...."E What???"

Loved the scene where he got the cowboy hat and ripped off the drugs as "Raylan Givens."

I know alot of you prefer Raylan with Ava, but I kind of like the idea that this season will probably show Raylan and Winona working through their issues. I liked Art giving Raylan shit for sleeping for Winona again and saying how stupid that was.

Ava looked really good in this episode.
Old 02-24-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dewey is comic gold for this show.

Also liked how Tim is becoming an even bigger badass between this show and the last (it's one thing to talk about him being a sniper, but another thing to see him shoot and be so confident about it) - I really liked his lines about how he couldn't do a lot of other things, but he can shoot (when Art asked what would he would have done if he missed). I would like to see them devote part of some upcoming shows to see some more of his character and background on him

And Kstublen got it right... Goggins is killing it in this role. And to think he was going to have a smallish role when the show began.

It is amazing how well they have cast this show as everyone seems to fit so effortlessly, and there really are no throwaway characters that are there to merely serve as filler.
Old 02-24-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Just finished the DVR. Bottomline: don't fuck with Boyd Crowder. I'm amazed at how much ass Goggins is kicking in this role. If he doesn't at least get a nomination for an emmy, something is wrong. In terms of him going back into his psychotic mode, I think it might tie into what everyone suspects will happen to Ava; her death might be what tips him back over the edge.

I hope the writing on this show stays solid and if it starts to wane, they opt to end the series soon and not flog a dead horse, which this being TV will never happen.
Old 02-24-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You watch so many shows in your life, some of them just trying to get something right, let alone putting an entire episode, be it half or whole hour, of good television together and realize how few achieve it consistently. And then you watch an episode of Justified and how it just flows and the next thing you know, the hour is gone.

As mentioned in many previous episode threads and previously in this one, the casting and acting are just so incredible on this show, they knock it out of the park on a much more consistent basis. Last night was just another in the increasing line of wonderful episodes they've put together.

The accuracy and delivery of the dialogue is top notch and they really pull in some incredible actors. I don't know how long Justified can run like this, but they're just airing great television weekly. As much as I'd love a longer season, I'm glad it's shorter and they can concentrate on just making really electric television.

(I'm in the to Winona crowd, btw. Glad they'll explore it more this season, but it does look pretty doomed in the long run.)
Old 02-24-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I liked this episode much more than last week, the human tracking story kind of creeped me out. I hope we see more of Dewey Crowe this year.
Old 02-24-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3 episodes in and this season is crackling. As good as S1 was, it might be surpassed by the end.
Old 02-24-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
We might see Ava die this season because of Boyd, either as a result of him getting back into crime or a result of him refusing to get back into crime..
I think it would be very interesting if she did die because of something he did to avoid returning to his old ways. It would kinda reinforce a sense of him being "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't"

I would love to see what directions Boyd would go if someone innocent died as a result of him trying to walk the path of righteousness.

God damn i love watching this show, i love listening to people talk about this show, and i love catching new stuff when re-watching the show.
Old 02-24-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I would love to see what directions Boyd would go if someone innocent died as a result of him trying to walk the path of righteousness.
Granted they were convicts and were involved with Boyd trying to stop the drug trade in Arlen, but I'd say all the guys that Boyd's dad murdered last season were pretty innocent. But yeah, Ava would be a little different.
Old 02-25-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just rewatched this before I cleared it off the DVR. Just as good the second time, but caught a few thins I missed the first time (got clued into here).

3 episodes in it already has the level kicked up and things haven't even started falling into place. Can't wait for next Thursday!
Old 02-25-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I'm amazed at how much ass Goggins is kicking in this role.
You haven't seen The Shield? That show confirmed that Walton Goggins might be the greatest actor on television.