DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Not sure what to watch next (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/587751-not-sure-what-watch-next.html)

pinata242 02-19-11 11:23 PM

Not sure what to watch next

Recently I've been going back through my DVDs and catching up on shows I blind bought but never got around to watching. I just finished up with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I primarily watch comedies when it comes to first-run shows.

I'm not really sure which show to watch next and I thought I'd let the forum decide. Obviously some of these build up into adding to my weekly stack of shows since they're still active. Some will compliment/contrast the comedies I'm already watching.

I'm not sure when I'll start watching the next show, but it'll probably start tomorrow or Monday.

MrSmearkase 02-19-11 11:26 PM

Re: Not sure what to watch next

Eastbound & Down

It's a quick 6-episode season that plays like a really funny 3 hour movie.

pinata242 02-19-11 11:26 PM

I already watch The League and Community, so go ahead and mark E&D up there now that the poll is active ;)

Fist of Doom 02-19-11 11:34 PM

Band of Brothers by a country mile. An incredible experience.

Moopher 02-19-11 11:47 PM

Parks & Rec for sure, eastbound and down isn't too bad and it's nice and short to fly through.

Michael Corvin 02-19-11 11:48 PM

Band of Brothers is the best of that group, but you really can't go wrong with that, Firefly, F&G or Wonderfalls. I can't speak of the others.

maingon 02-20-11 12:32 AM

FireFly
then
Parks and Rec

mwbmis 02-20-11 01:17 AM

Everything on the list is worth watching. I guess it depends on what kind of show you want to watch next. If you choose Parks and Rec make sure you stick with it. Season one had some growing pains.

While Band of Brothers is probably the best thing on your list, it's also easily the heaviest so it's not a show for every occasion.

If I had seen nothing on your list, I would go ahead and watch Justified, b/c it's just started season two and you can catch up rather quickly. So Justified is my answer even though it's not the best show on your list.

JasonF 02-20-11 01:59 AM

Band of Brothers is the best show on your list, but it's an intense experience so if you're not in the right frame of mind, I'd hold off on it.

If you're not going to do Band of Brothers, go with Freaks and Geeks, which is the best show on your list that's not Band of Brothers.

MrX 02-20-11 02:04 AM

Parks and Rec

FatTony 02-20-11 02:30 AM

For me it was a tossup between Firefly and Freaks & Geeks. Voted for Firefly, only to see that F&G isn't getting any love at the moment. But both are really fun shows and are a breeze to get through.

davidh777 02-20-11 03:03 AM

BoB, F&G, and Wonderfalls are on my to-watch list too, so I voted for Firefly

kd5 02-20-11 07:58 AM

I voted FireFly too, but you really need Serenity to follow it up. -kd5-

terrible chong 02-20-11 08:04 AM

Band of Brothers would be my preference, but since you're into comedy you gotta see Eastbound & Down.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GoWblwKdeHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

astrochimp 02-20-11 08:56 AM

B&B, FF and F&G are three of my favorite things ever on TV.

If that helps ya any ;)

dan30oly 02-20-11 09:33 AM

edited.

pinata242 02-20-11 09:36 AM

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I figured it would come down to BoB or Firefly and I was kinda hoping it was one of them since I'm already watching comedies mostly.

But I am surprised that Firefly has a 2:1 edge over BoB at this point.

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10647070)
I voted FireFly too, but you really need Serenity to follow it up. -kd5-

I do have Serenity. I got it free or cheap with some half-season of BSG at Best Buy a few years ago.

Rob V 02-20-11 10:31 AM

Band of Brothers is the best IMO... but Eastbound & Down is so damn funny and quick you can get it done in an afternoon.

OldBoy 02-20-11 10:32 AM

if you want action/drama go for Justified.
if you want comedy go for Parks and Recreation (S2) and on.

JohnSlider 02-20-11 10:51 AM

Only go with Parks & Rec if you're willing to sit through an abysmal first season. I did not stick with it, but I know a few people who did and say the second season is pretty great. I watch/ed everything else on your list and they're all good choices, but my personal favorite there is Freaks & Geeks.

Geofferson 02-20-11 11:42 AM

Band of Brothers is the most rewarding experience of the choices, imo.

davidh777 02-20-11 11:46 AM

^Firefly has comedic elements in it. I would call it a sci-fi-action-Western-comedy.

david12 02-20-11 08:34 PM

Every one of those choices is worth the time. I'd say to write all the choices on different pieces of paper, fold them up and put them in a cup. Randomly draw and watch whatever comes out.

Quake1028 02-22-11 05:18 PM

Freaks and Geeks is, by far, the best show on that list. Damn, I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

TimeandTide 02-22-11 06:47 PM

Voted Firefly, barely edging out Freaks and Geeks and Band of Brothers.

All fantastic shows and well worth your time, IMO.