Face Off - special F/X reality competition on SyFy

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Face Off - special F/X reality competition on SyFy

Old 04-15-15, 02:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Face Off - special F/X reality competition on SyFy

Did anyone else stick with this? I actually thought this was a better way to do the finale as they finally dropped the weird performance-based stage show crap they've been doing the last few times. They showcased the characters and concepts instead of some stupid dance routine or lame choreographed stage fight and the work was more interesting for it. Especially since in most productions the detailed 'hero' makeup would be for close-ups and a lesser makeup (or even a mask) would be used for stunts and action shots.

I'm not sure how I feel about the returning champions gimmick, though. I don't like the idea of calling the winning coach a 'two time champion' when they were just mentors this time around. In the end the mentors didn't really add much to the show and were just an extra set of outside opinions when they already have Michael Westmore chiming in every episode.
Old 04-15-15, 05:11 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Ya I still watch it. I was rooting for Emily and Logan, so I was disappointed that 1 of them didn't win. I like Laura, I think she's super attractive, so good for her.

The finale was cool. I like that they atleast try to change it up each year.

At the end they said the next season is in July. SLOW DOWN. As I've said numerous times in this thread, way too many cycles in a short amount of time.
Old 04-15-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I accidentally saw the spoiler on my Facebook feed. Fuckers! Oh well. I will still watch the episode and I did like the three remaining contestants.
Old 04-15-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched and will continue to do so. Yes, sometimes it gets old when they introduce a guest "star" that no one has heard of and the contestants ooh and aah over him/her. But, I just love shows where the contestants come up with amazing creations from scratch.

Project Runway is another reality show that falls into this category for me. Artists (whether its fashion, special effects make-up or musicians, etc.) are a different breed and seeing the creative process is almost always interesting. Sure there are a lot of misfires, but when everything comes together the results are unbelievable.

I was hoping that Emily could somehow pull out the win, but in the finale, Darla had the best foursome. Don't mind her winning... she is very talented. Emily has a gift and it's hard to believe that she is only 18. What a future she'll have. I wouldn't be surprised if she's already been snapped up by someone. She'll almost certainly be famous someday....
Old 04-15-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I watched, like I always do, as well. Also agree that I'm happy they got rid of the choreographed dance scene, too.

I don't know about others, but I sort of wish they would change the show up a little bit. For a show that feels like it's on TV every month of the year, it sure does have a serious sameness to it all. And while I actually appreciate the fact that this show is all about the makeup, I'm not sure it's a great idea that--outside of a VERY small (like counting on one hand kind of small) number of contestants--I can't really recall more than 2-3 people off the top of my head who I'd go, right now, "WOW, ____'s makeup is amazing. Remember when he/she created the XYZ monster in season XYZ." It all just runs together, personalities all run together, and outside of a very few standout makeups, the makeups all sort of run together in my mind.

That might be a reality TV issue--reality TV is sort of like junk food in that sense--but I think it's also about how they choose to structure their show.

I love movie makeup and behind the scenes stuff--got a couple Stan Winston books even--but I watch essentially watch the first five minutes of Face/Off and the last 20-25 mins. I skip the stuff in between--I just don't find that it really contributes to the overall show. Maybe I'm short changing myself by not seeing the hard work they put it, but I feel I "get that" by seeing the final product. For some reason, I just don't find it compelling or integral to watch.

I wish they would do something to make the middle part of the show feel more important, because it's a total skip fest for me.
Old 04-16-15, 03:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I love movie makeup and behind the scenes stuff--got a couple Stan Winston books even--but I watch essentially watch the first five minutes of Face/Off and the last 20-25 mins. I skip the stuff in between--I just don't find that it really contributes to the overall show. Maybe I'm short changing myself by not seeing the hard work they put it, but I feel I "get that" by seeing the final product. For some reason, I just don't find it compelling or integral to watch.

I wish they would do something to make the middle part of the show feel more important, because it's a total skip fest for me.
I see what you're saying. I think it's cool when they show them coming up with a cool outside-the-box approach to creating something, but 90% of the time it's the same stuff...

"I'm halfway through Day One and I still don't have a concept!"
"Mr. Westmore didn't like my original concept so I'm redoing my sculpt."
"My mold is stuck!"
"I need to hide these edges/tears somehow."
"I'm heading into Last Looks and I'm way behind!"

I wish they'd have a set camera on each of their sculpting stations and show a sped-up time lapse of everyone's sculpts. They could do the same with the painting stage. To me that would be much more interesting than just showing a bunch of random out of context shots of people sculpting/painting each week.
Old 04-16-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I wish they'd have a set camera on each of their sculpting stations and show a sped-up time lapse of everyone's sculpts. They could do the same with the painting stage. To me that would be much more interesting than just showing a bunch of random out of context shots of people sculpting/painting each week.
I would really like to see this, also. I don't think they would ever do it, because it would ruin the "big reveal" when they bring them before the judges. They show bits and pieces of the final creation, but they are very careful not to show too much.
Old 04-21-15, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The next season already starts in July?! Is SyFy gonna have three seasons a year?
Old 04-22-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this rate we'll be having a special season of returning contestants getting a 2nd shot in no time!
Old 04-22-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeraden
At this rate we'll be having a special season of returning contestants getting a 2nd shot in no time!
I'm pretty sure they already did that...didn't they?
Old 04-22-15, 12:09 PM

I'd like to see a special about the models, including their favorite makeups and worst experiences.
Old 04-22-15, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh
I'd like to see a special about the models, including their favorite makeups and worst experiences.
I've been thinking that for a while now. I think it would be interesting.
Old 04-22-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windom
I'm pretty sure they already did that...didn't they?
I thought about that after I posted that. Maybe they did. Lol, these seasons all kind of run together since they are so... identical.
Old 07-28-15, 06:59 AM

Another new cycle begins tonight. 7/28/15.
Old 07-29-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I cant believe how much they have milked this.
It's nearly the same show every season. Same people types. Same designs.
Old 07-29-15, 04:30 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I cant believe how much they have milked this.
It's nearly the same show every season. Same people types. Same designs.
Wife an I still watch, but you are right, not much variety in competition as the seasons go on. The "coaching" aspect was sort of contrived and frankly, some of their advice wasn't all that great.

I wish Jim Henson's Creature Shop would come back. At least there, it's more than just monster make-up.
Old 07-30-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still enjoy this show.
Old 07-31-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I will admit that this show does stay away from the drams aspect.
I really liked Heroes of Cosplay, but it had way too much drams among the cast and not nearly enough of costume design.
Old 10-14-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

okay, Scott was robbed of the final 3. The purple old lady that Evan did was bad. Regardless, they are angling for a win by Bieber so whatever. This season was very very weak in the talent. It'll probably only 1-2 months before the next season starts again.
Old 10-22-15, 12:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
I would like them to take it further next season with the challenges, like perhaps have them hook up with a writer and director and make a 3 minute movie featuring a monster they create.
Originally Posted by DRG
An okay finale, but I'm not really a fan of these live dance routine-based challenges and I dislike that they've become the standard for the finales now. I'd like to see them switch it up and have them shoot their creations in short films or something.
Well, it has taken them 9 seasons but they finally listened to me!
Old 10-22-15, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Another new cycle begins tonight. 7/28/15.
No reruns later in the week? No marathons? I'll watch it on their website if I ever remember to get around to it.
Old 01-13-16, 05:37 AM

Season 10 starts tonight, 1/13/15.
Old 01-13-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

Thanks for the post!

My family and I love this show. It is one of the few where we all equally enjoy it.
Old 01-13-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Tonight? That's a new day, isn't it? I thought it was a Tuesday show.
Old 01-13-16, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Tonight? That's a new day, isn't it? I thought it was a Tuesday show.
Perhaps a SOTU push for one week? (Have to check 1/18 schedule ... )

Looking forward to it as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.