Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Deadwood Wrap-Up Movie - Officially Greenlit at HBO

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood Wrap-Up Movie - Officially Greenlit at HBO

Old 12-20-18, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Deadwood Wrap-Up Movie - Officially Greenlit at HBO

That's it, I'm gonna start dressing like in the old west That waistcoat & chain look is hot.
Old 12-20-18, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by leacha View Post
This is what I remember as well so I thought it was over.
S2 had Mrs. Garrett and her son arriving while Seth and Alma were having an affair. The boy died towards the end of S2 and Alma discovered she was pregnant. Seth asked her if she wanted to flee with him but she said no. She ended up marrying Elsworth as cover.

S3 was centered around Hearst' arrival and impact.
Old 12-20-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still extremely hesitant to get the least bit excited for this.

Deadwood is probably my favorite piece of entertainment ever, and I just see no way that they can rekindle the same magic 10+ years later.

I'm sure it will be decent to very good, too much talent for it to be awful, but it just has a lot to live up to in regards to how highly I hold the series.

Crossing my fingers.
Old 12-20-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thematahara View Post
I'm still extremely hesitant to get the least bit excited for this.

Deadwood is probably my favorite piece of entertainment ever, and I just see no way that they can rekindle the same magic 10+ years later.

I'm sure it will be decent to very good, too much talent for it to be awful, but it just has a lot to live up to in regards to how highly I hold the series.

Crossing my fingers.
Agreed.
Milch needs to move on with his life for fnck's sake.
To be fair, he might not be able to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Milch#Personal_life
Old 12-20-18, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was planning on revisiting the series but I may hold off for a little while longer. I’d like to see the series again with fresh eyes and then roll right into the movie.
Old 12-22-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I loved the show when it was on, and and was not happy with how it ended, but that is so far in the rear-view mirror now, I can't muster much interest in a wrap-up movie.

Just FYI, in reality, which I assume Milch will follow, in 1879 almost the entire town of Deadwood was destroyed by fire and subsequently rebuilt. In the 1880s, Deadwood became one of the first American cities wired for electric lights, and they started building a railroad line for the mining operations.
Old 02-08-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://deadline.com/2019/02/deadwoo...19-1202553319/
David Milch’s Deadwood followup will debut this spring and will be eligible for the 2019 Primetime Emmy Awards.

Filming on the movie, which is set 10 years after the events in the cult series, started in November with most of that original cast of the series, which ran on HBO for three seasons, returning.

That includes Ian McShane (Al Swearengen), Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock), Molly Parker (Alma Ellsworth), Paula Malcomson (Trixie), John Hawkes (Sol Star), Anna Gunn (Martha Bullock), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter), Brad Dourif (Doc Cochran), Robin Weigert (“Calamity” Jane Canary), William Sanderson (E.B. Farnum), Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs) and Gerald McRaney (George Hearst). The film includes a new cast member, Jade Pettyjohn.

In the movie, the characters of the series are reunited after 10 years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

Milch, the series creator, wrote the pic, which is being directed by Game of Thrones helmer Daniel Minahan. Milch, Carolyn Strauss, Minahan, Gregg Fienberg, Scott Stephens, McShane and Olyphant are executive producers.
Old 02-08-19, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So it isn't a Theatrical movie. Did we know that before now?
Old 02-09-19, 12:30 AM

It was never supposed to be a theatrical movie.
Old 02-09-19, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting that there's no mention of Jeffrey Jones, but he's listed on IMDB.
Old 02-09-19, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Interesting that there's no mention of Jeffrey Jones, but he's listed on IMDB.
Anyone can add names to IMDb. I don’t believe it was ever actually said he was in it. W. Earl Brown isn’t mentioned in the article either.

Last edited by dex14; 02-09-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

Anyone can add names to IMDb. I don’t believe it was ever actually said he was in it. W. Earl Brown isn’t mentioned in the article either.
Well, yes and no... It's not like Wikipedia, where you can directly edit it. You can submit changes, but they do go through a process. I've had some (changes) denied, even though they were 100% true.

Regarding W. Earl Brown, I hadn't noticed the omission, but I already knew, from his twitter feed, that he would be there. It would've been ridiculous for that not to be the case.

According to a post on reddit, W. Earl Brown responded to someone on twitter that asked if Jeffery Jones would be in the movie with "To my knowledge, all of the cast (the ones still living) will be back."

Considering that his conviction happened before the TV series, I doubt that it will affect the movie casting. And I do get that these are different times.
Old 02-10-19, 10:56 AM

Still am flabbergasted that Warren from Something About Mary is the ass kicking Dan... Just watched the movie last night (Mary) for the first time in a decade or so and my wife reminded me.... Can't wait to see this movie! One more reason to look forward to spring!
Old 02-10-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A spring broadcast has been confirmed! No mention of Jeffrey Jones in the article, but no mention of Keone Young (Mr. Wu), either. He is definitely in the movie.