Reload this Page >

Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Old 06-02-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

How come Hearst didn't have enough money to outbid Alma? I know she's rich but isn't he much richer?
Old 06-02-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, we were on vacation and totally forgot this was on. Are they releasing this on blu ray?
Old 06-02-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Kube
How come Hearst didn't have enough money to outbid Alma? I know she's rich but isn't he much richer?
I expect he had a set amount in his head above which he wouldn't go. I.e. it was all about money. Alma didn't care, as it was a point of principal.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Damn, we were on vacation and totally forgot this was on. Are they releasing this on blu ray?
Can you not access it via OnDemand?
Old 06-03-19, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=andicus;13559470]I expect he had a set amount in his head above which he wouldn't go. I.e. it was all about money. Alma didn't care, as it was a point of principal.

I thought it was something along those lines. The land was worth only so much. However, I think his disgust with the town and with Seth and Alma would make it a point of proud with him too.
Old 06-03-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

And while Senator Hearst was rich, he wasn't anywhere near as rich as his son would be. So it's possible that Alma was a good deal more wealthy than him.
Old 06-03-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I wish I had rewatched the series before viewing this, as there were a whole lot of details that took me a while to remember. Fortunately, all the characters' names and personalities came back to me, being how memorable everyone was.

Very grateful we finally got some closure one this. Although, it was a decade too late.
Old 06-03-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Can you not access it via OnDemand?
Not that I see, at least for now. I have that Direct Now thing that is free for AT&T unlimited data members and it looks like the only way I can catch it is when it's actually airing. Thankfully it's on again Thursday night, so I guess I'll try and catch it then. I kinda want to wait now though until I can run through the seasons again since it's been awhile since I watched the series, probably when it was first released on blu ray.
Old 06-03-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Not that I see, at least for now. I have that Direct Now thing that is free for AT&T unlimited data members and it looks like the only way I can catch it is when it's actually airing. Thankfully it's on again Thursday night, so I guess I'll try and catch it then. I kinda want to wait now though until I can run through the seasons again since it's been awhile since I watched the series, probably when it was first released on blu ray.
I actually had to watch it via OnDemand, as it wasn't broadcast in Canada until Sunday, but was available via OnDemand Friday at 8pm.

Regarding the Blu-ray set, that's how I re-watched the entire series before the movie. It's a real piss-off that it doesn't remember where you left off and let you resume. It feels like it takes forever for each disc to start. Why have a 'watch all' option if it's not going to let you resume? Considering there are 4 episodes per disc, I think it's unlikely that most people would watch all 4 in a row.
Old 06-03-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
And while Senator Hearst was rich, he wasn't anywhere near as rich as his son would be. So it's possible that Alma was a good deal more wealthy than him.
You could be right. I was under the impression that Hearst struck it rich in a few different locations and that Alma's wealth was limited to one. But maybe Hearst lost some money in the years. He seemed like the kind of guy who would have spent as much as he wanted to inflict pain on someone. I vaugely remember that the Hearst's agent bough the Hickcock letter for $1,000 without batting an eye. I always felt like "money was no object" for him.
Old 06-03-19, 05:40 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

^ Maybe his business sense won out over his pride. Or, more likely, the amount of liquid wealth he owned was finite, with the majority of his money being tied up in investments.
Old 06-04-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.
Old 06-04-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Loved this! No complaints whatsoever.

My plan was to rewatch the series before I watched the movie but I never quite got around to it so I was going into the movie after about 8 years since seeing the series. I was pulled right back into that world and didn’t feel like any time had passed at all.
Old 06-04-19, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Rewatch the series, anyway. You'll be glad you did. I'm surprised I waited this long, as I've had the Blu-ray set for over 5 years.
Old 06-05-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

I rewatched the first season and enjoyed it so much that I stopped until the movie aired, not wanting to set expectations too high. But I don't think that would have been a problem as the film delivered to me.

W. Earl Brown (Dan Dority) mentioned on Twitter that a half hour was cut from the original cut of the film, including the scene that he felt contained his personal best acting. He said the cuts made sense from a storytelling perspective, but that there is a chance the "extended cut" will be released on Blu-Ray or that perhaps the deleted scenes would be. I obviously hope both cuts do make it.
Old 06-05-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

This is one of those rare finales that everyone loved and had almost zero issues with.
[I'm looking at you, GoT!]
Old 06-05-19, 12:12 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
This is one of those rare finales that everyone loved and had almost zero issues with.
[I'm looking at you, GoT!]
Exactly right. It was absolutely perfect, and I sure am glad it finally got made.
Old 06-06-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Haven't watch the movie yet as I started watching the series for the first time. I'm on episode eight on the first season and I'm really lost on some of the dialogue, do they speak like that in those days? I recognize Jeffrey Jones playing the reporter Merrick but I never see his name on the opening credit. Is this because of him being a sex offender?
Old 06-06-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Haven't watch the movie yet as I started watching the series for the first time. I'm on episode eight on the first season and I'm really lost on some of the dialogue, do they speak like that in those days?
I hadn't re-watched the series before watching the movie and I had sort of forgotten the very peculiar style of dialogue for the show.
Old 06-08-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

I finally finished re-watching the series Thursday and got to the movie last night. It was well worth the wait and I really enjoyed it. The one criticisim I have was that the flash back scenes for me were very jarring and felt poorly done and superfluous. I can quietly hope that there will be more to come some day but with Milch in poor health and the cast getting older I doubt that will happen. Hated to see Charlie go out like that but it helped move the story along.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the real Deadwood? I was amused to learn the Deadwood Star is still essentially in publication and was founded by AW Merrick IRL would be curious to read how close the show was to actual fact.
Old 06-11-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dom56
Haven't watch the movie yet as I started watching the series for the first time. I'm on episode eight on the first season and I'm really lost on some of the dialogue, do they speak like that in those days? I recognize Jeffrey Jones playing the reporter Merrick but I never see his name on the opening credit. Is this because of him being a sex offender?
Originally Posted by DWilson
I hadn't re-watched the series before watching the movie and I had sort of forgotten the very peculiar style of dialogue for the show.
Much of the dialogue is written in iambic pentameter to give it a Shakespearean sound. I’ve noticed the dialogue but I’m not that much of a linguist to be able to identify whether ALL the dialogue is iambic pentameter or not.
Old 06-11-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I finally finished re-watching the series Thursday and got to the movie last night. It was well worth the wait and I really enjoyed it. The one criticisim I have was that the flash back scenes for me were very jarring and felt poorly done and superfluous. I can quietly hope that there will be more to come some day but with Milch in poor health and the cast getting older I doubt that will happen. Hated to see Charlie go out like that but it helped move the story along.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the real Deadwood? I was amused to learn the Deadwood Star is still essentially in publication and was founded by AW Merrick IRL would be curious to read how close the show was to actual fact.
They definitely play loose with history for dramatic effect. For instance Al
Spoiler:
loses the Gem in a fire and dies literally in the street shortly after 1900
Old 06-11-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I haven't read the thread yet as I'm still re-watching the original series. It had been quite a few years since I viewed it and I am being reminded just how great the show was. At first I was in a hurry to get to the movie but now I find I am savoring the original episodes. One thing I missed the first time through ten years or so ago was that Garret Dillahunt played two different characters in consecutive seasons. Back then I had no idea who he was but now I recognized him immediately as McCall and was surprised to see that he was also Wolcott, even though I remembered both characters from the first viewing. Good actor, or bad memory? I'll go with good actor.
Old 06-11-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

They definitely play loose with history for dramatic effect. For instance Al
Spoiler:
loses the Gem in a fire and dies literally in the street shortly after 1900
And in real life
Spoiler:
Swearengen died in Denver
Old 06-12-19, 02:25 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Are historical facts really spoilers?
Old 06-12-19, 07:17 AM

Received 414 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Thanks Matty. Just got my Complete Series on VUDU. Never expected something like that. Awesome!
Same here... and the provided code redeemed on both VUDU and iTunes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.