TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Old 06-02-19, 09:13 PM
  #326  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,571
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

How come Hearst didn't have enough money to outbid Alma? I know she's rich but isn't he much richer?
Kube is offline  
Old 06-02-19, 09:35 PM
  #327  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,104
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Damn, we were on vacation and totally forgot this was on. Are they releasing this on blu ray?
mattysemo247 is offline  
Old 06-02-19, 10:38 PM
  #328  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,488
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by Kube View Post
How come Hearst didn't have enough money to outbid Alma? I know she's rich but isn't he much richer?
I expect he had a set amount in his head above which he wouldn't go. I.e. it was all about money. Alma didn't care, as it was a point of principal.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Damn, we were on vacation and totally forgot this was on. Are they releasing this on blu ray?
Can you not access it via OnDemand?
andicus is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 05:47 AM
  #329  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,571
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

[QUOTE=andicus;13559470]I expect he had a set amount in his head above which he wouldn't go. I.e. it was all about money. Alma didn't care, as it was a point of principal.


I thought it was something along those lines. The land was worth only so much. However, I think his disgust with the town and with Seth and Alma would make it a point of proud with him too.
Kube is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 09:49 AM
  #330  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,173
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

And while Senator Hearst was rich, he wasn't anywhere near as rich as his son would be. So it's possible that Alma was a good deal more wealthy than him.
slop101 is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 11:35 AM
  #331  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,675
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

I wish I had rewatched the series before viewing this, as there were a whole lot of details that took me a while to remember. Fortunately, all the characters' names and personalities came back to me, being how memorable everyone was.

Very grateful we finally got some closure one this. Although, it was a decade too late.
funkyryno is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 11:41 AM
  #332  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,104
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Can you not access it via OnDemand?
Not that I see, at least for now. I have that Direct Now thing that is free for AT&T unlimited data members and it looks like the only way I can catch it is when it's actually airing. Thankfully it's on again Thursday night, so I guess I'll try and catch it then. I kinda want to wait now though until I can run through the seasons again since it's been awhile since I watched the series, probably when it was first released on blu ray.
mattysemo247 is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 12:04 PM
  #333  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,488
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Not that I see, at least for now. I have that Direct Now thing that is free for AT&T unlimited data members and it looks like the only way I can catch it is when it's actually airing. Thankfully it's on again Thursday night, so I guess I'll try and catch it then. I kinda want to wait now though until I can run through the seasons again since it's been awhile since I watched the series, probably when it was first released on blu ray.
I actually had to watch it via OnDemand, as it wasn't broadcast in Canada until Sunday, but was available via OnDemand Friday at 8pm.

Regarding the Blu-ray set, that's how I re-watched the entire series before the movie. It's a real piss-off that it doesn't remember where you left off and let you resume. It feels like it takes forever for each disc to start. Why have a 'watch all' option if it's not going to let you resume? Considering there are 4 episodes per disc, I think it's unlikely that most people would watch all 4 in a row.
andicus is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 03:40 PM
  #334  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,571
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And while Senator Hearst was rich, he wasn't anywhere near as rich as his son would be. So it's possible that Alma was a good deal more wealthy than him.
You could be right. I was under the impression that Hearst struck it rich in a few different locations and that Alma's wealth was limited to one. But maybe Hearst lost some money in the years. He seemed like the kind of guy who would have spent as much as he wanted to inflict pain on someone. I vaugely remember that the Hearst's agent bough the Hickcock letter for $1,000 without batting an eye. I always felt like "money was no object" for him.
Kube is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 05:40 PM
  #335  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,675
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

^ Maybe his business sense won out over his pride. Or, more likely, the amount of liquid wealth he owned was finite, with the majority of his money being tied up in investments.
funkyryno is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 09:26 AM
  #336  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,571
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.
Kube is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 08:35 PM
  #337  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,257
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Loved this! No complaints whatsoever.

My plan was to rewatch the series before I watched the movie but I never quite got around to it so I was going into the movie after about 8 years since seeing the series. I was pulled right back into that world and didnít feel like any time had passed at all.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 11:33 PM
  #338  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,488
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

^Rewatch the series, anyway. You'll be glad you did. I'm surprised I waited this long, as I've had the Blu-ray set for over 5 years.
andicus is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 10:02 AM
  #339  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
JeremyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,210
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

I rewatched the first season and enjoyed it so much that I stopped until the movie aired, not wanting to set expectations too high. But I don't think that would have been a problem as the film delivered to me.

W. Earl Brown (Dan Dority) mentioned on Twitter that a half hour was cut from the original cut of the film, including the scene that he felt contained his personal best acting. He said the cuts made sense from a storytelling perspective, but that there is a chance the "extended cut" will be released on Blu-Ray or that perhaps the deleted scenes would be. I obviously hope both cuts do make it.
JeremyM is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 10:23 AM
  #340  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,173
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

This is one of those rare finales that everyone loved and had almost zero issues with.
[I'm looking at you, GoT!]
slop101 is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 12:12 PM
  #341  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 4,410
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
This is one of those rare finales that everyone loved and had almost zero issues with.
[I'm looking at you, GoT!]
Exactly right. It was absolutely perfect, and I sure am glad it finally got made.
uteotw is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 08:49 AM
  #342  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,106
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Haven't watch the movie yet as I started watching the series for the first time. I'm on episode eight on the first season and I'm really lost on some of the dialogue, do they speak like that in those days? I recognize Jeffrey Jones playing the reporter Merrick but I never see his name on the opening credit. Is this because of him being a sex offender?
dom56 is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 09:00 AM
  #343  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,171
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Haven't watch the movie yet as I started watching the series for the first time. I'm on episode eight on the first season and I'm really lost on some of the dialogue, do they speak like that in those days?
I hadn't re-watched the series before watching the movie and I had sort of forgotten the very peculiar style of dialogue for the show.
DWilson is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 03:03 PM
  #344  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,217
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

I finally finished re-watching the series Thursday and got to the movie last night. It was well worth the wait and I really enjoyed it. The one criticisim I have was that the flash back scenes for me were very jarring and felt poorly done and superfluous. I can quietly hope that there will be more to come some day but with Milch in poor health and the cast getting older I doubt that will happen. Hated to see Charlie go out like that but it helped move the story along.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the real Deadwood? I was amused to learn the Deadwood Star is still essentially in publication and was founded by AW Merrick IRL would be curious to read how close the show was to actual fact.
jpcamb is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 09:16 AM
  #345  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,257
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Haven't watch the movie yet as I started watching the series for the first time. I'm on episode eight on the first season and I'm really lost on some of the dialogue, do they speak like that in those days? I recognize Jeffrey Jones playing the reporter Merrick but I never see his name on the opening credit. Is this because of him being a sex offender?
Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I hadn't re-watched the series before watching the movie and I had sort of forgotten the very peculiar style of dialogue for the show.
Much of the dialogue is written in iambic pentameter to give it a Shakespearean sound. Iíve noticed the dialogue but Iím not that much of a linguist to be able to identify whether ALL the dialogue is iambic pentameter or not.
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 08:24 PM
  #346  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,053
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I finally finished re-watching the series Thursday and got to the movie last night. It was well worth the wait and I really enjoyed it. The one criticisim I have was that the flash back scenes for me were very jarring and felt poorly done and superfluous. I can quietly hope that there will be more to come some day but with Milch in poor health and the cast getting older I doubt that will happen. Hated to see Charlie go out like that but it helped move the story along.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the real Deadwood? I was amused to learn the Deadwood Star is still essentially in publication and was founded by AW Merrick IRL would be curious to read how close the show was to actual fact.
They definitely play loose with history for dramatic effect. For instance Al
Spoiler:
loses the Gem in a fire and dies literally in the street shortly after 1900
Boba Fett is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 09:20 PM
  #347  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,584
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

I haven't read the thread yet as I'm still re-watching the original series. It had been quite a few years since I viewed it and I am being reminded just how great the show was. At first I was in a hurry to get to the movie but now I find I am savoring the original episodes. One thing I missed the first time through ten years or so ago was that Garret Dillahunt played two different characters in consecutive seasons. Back then I had no idea who he was but now I recognized him immediately as McCall and was surprised to see that he was also Wolcott, even though I remembered both characters from the first viewing. Good actor, or bad memory? I'll go with good actor.
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 06-11-19, 09:37 PM
  #348  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,257
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post


They definitely play loose with history for dramatic effect. For instance Al
Spoiler:
loses the Gem in a fire and dies literally in the street shortly after 1900
And in real life
Spoiler:
Swearengen died in Denver
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 02:25 AM
  #349  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,451
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Are historical facts really spoilers?
Gunde is offline  
Old 06-12-19, 07:17 AM
  #350  
Senior Member
 
Meathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Snowtown, USA
Posts: 631
Re: Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) -- premieres 5/31/19

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Thanks Matty. Just got my Complete Series on VUDU. Never expected something like that. Awesome!
Same here... and the provided code redeemed on both VUDU and iTunes.
Meathead is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.