Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

Old 08-24-13, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Stephen King's The Stand (2014?)

Rewatched the mini series the other day with my wife and it has not aged well at all. Story is all over the shop and the acting and effects are terrible. Difficult to believe I used to hold this in such high regard. Makes me think its probably not a good idea for me to revisit another childhood favourite, Quantum Leep..
Old 08-24-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Rewatched the mini series the other day with my wife and it has not aged well at all. Story is all over the shop and the acting and effects are terrible. Difficult to believe I used to hold this in such high regard. Makes me think its probably not a good idea for me to revisit another childhood favourite, Quantum Leep..
Quantum Leap was never really about special effects, or even the time travel elements all that much...at least not in a sci-fi way.

What I mean is that QL was more about being a period piece, with a different period every week. So you had so many different eras covered that QL almost comes off as timeless. The only thing that kind of dates it now is that the "present" time of the show was 1999!

As for The Stand, I liked it for what it was. It was a slightly better than average TV mini-series. Really it was the last of its kind on Network TV.

I don't see how you condense the story down to a single film. Didn't the mini-series leave out quite a bit?
Old 08-24-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Rewatched the mini series the other day with my wife and it has not aged well at all. Story is all over the shop and the acting and effects are terrible. Difficult to believe I used to hold this in such high regard.
That's just about every Stephen King television miniseries. They come off like Lifetime movies: Overlit, filled with past-their prime tv actors, shot on video, horrible special effects/CGI, pedestrian direction, cheesy writing.

I'd love to see stuff like It and The Stand remade as HBO miniseries with good actors, decent budgets, good directors, and good scripts.
Old 08-24-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

CBS films? Are they the ones doing Under the Dome? After that travesty I have little optimism for the Stand being any good.

HBO miniseries is the only way to go with this. Epic, dark, violent, atmospheric, amazing casting, high production values, you know all the things King's miniseries always lack.
Old 08-24-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
HBO miniseries is the only way to go with this. Epic, dark, violent, atmospheric, amazing casting, high production values, you know all the things King's miniseries always lack.
Agree 100%.
Old 08-24-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

I would totally go for an HBO miniseries. I really don't like network movies. They just can't have the bite that a show like this would need. Plus bewbs
Old 08-24-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's just about every Stephen King television miniseries. They come off like Lifetime movies: Overlit, filled with past-their prime tv actors, shot on video, horrible special effects/CGI, pedestrian direction, cheesy writing.

I'd love to see stuff like It and The Stand remade as HBO miniseries with good actors, decent budgets, good directors, and good scripts.
The one exception being the original Salem's Lot. It's near perfect.
Old 08-24-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I too think it would be better as a series. While I don't know if he would want to be type cast in certain roles, I would love to see David Morissey as Randall Flagg.
Old 08-25-13, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I too think it would be better as a series. While I don't know if he would want to be type cast in certain roles, I would love to see David Morissey as Randall Flagg.
That's a good choice, though he's already played a similar character in a high profile project. I can totally see that, but it's probably too close to the Governor.

Randall Flagg is an interesting character because he could almost be anybody. Sometimes I think that someone like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is younger and not physically imposing or overtly threatening would be an interesting take on the character.
Old 08-25-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

While it might also approach type casting as well, maybe Denis O'Hare if not Morissey. Ian McShane might work but again, it would be like repeating a previous role. Then again, that's kind of what character actors do for a living.

If they did this series on HBO I would love it if
Spoiler:
they end the story of The Stand , fade out, then abruptly cut to however many years later. We see Flagg , dressed in black walking across the desert, then we pan back to see the Gunslinger following.

Kind of a way to lead in to a new series if they wanted.
Old 08-29-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daniel Day-Lewis as Flagg wouldn't be a bad casting choice. Although, he might be a tad bit too "old" looking...?
Old 08-29-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I wish Netflix would step in already. Having a House of Cards style budget (~ $50m/13 episodes) 10 episode mini-series with binge-ability would be amazing.
Old 08-29-13, 02:20 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I wish Netflix would step in already. Having a House of Cards style budget (~ $50m/13 episodes) 10 episode mini-series with binge-ability would be amazing.
Absolutely... doing mini-series is something they should really do on a regular basis.
Old 08-29-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't think 10 hours is enough. The first mini series was over 6 hours and they cut a ton of shit.
Old 08-30-13, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't think 10 hours is enough. The first mini series was over 6 hours and they cut a ton of shit.
And $50m probably isn't enough considering that mini was $28m.
Old 11-20-13, 08:31 PM

“Crazy Heart” director Scott Cooper has fallen off of “The Stand,” Warner Bros.’ planned film adaptation of the Stephen King novel, according to two individuals familiar with the project.

The studio tapped Cooper to re-write and direct the project a few months ago, and the split was due to “creative differences,” according to one of those individuals.

No replacement has been hired, though the project has been a priority for Warner Bros.

Cooper signed on to make the post-apocalyptic horror film after Ben Affleck backed off. Affleck will instead direct and star in “Live By the Night,” another prized adaptation at the studio.

CBS Films is co-producing and co-presenting the film, which has a first draft by David Kajganich. Roy Lee is producing with Jimmy Miller.

Cooper has been developing a bevy of other projects, and his latest film, the revenge drama “Out of the Furnace,” opens in theaters Dec. 6. He is represented by CAA and attorney Darren Trattner.
Old 11-26-13, 08:03 PM

Re: Stephen King's The Stand (2014?)

With Scott Cooper the latest director to fall off the adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand, Warner Bros is back at square one with the project. When Cooper left it became clear that even simple things - like how many movies this would be, and what the rating would be - hadn't been decided. But the studio continues on and the next filmmaker they're hoping to snare is Paul Greengrass.

He's at the top of their wishlist, sources tell me, and he's a weird and intriguing choice. On the one hand, he could do incredible stuff with the collapse of society as the superflu Captain Trips rips through humanity. On the other hand there's all this magic and psychic stuff, and the intervention of God, which feels outside of his wheelhouse. At the same time that makes it exciting - what would Paul Greengrass do with a supernatural character like The Walking Dude?

Take this as only a snapshot of what Warner Bros is thinking behind the scenes right now. I don't even know if there's been much of a formal overture to the filmmaker, just that he's the guy who's at the top of their wish list. They're not letting The Stand die, and they're committing to doing it with a quality filmmaker at the helm... for now. How many directors have to fall off before they end up going to some middle-of-the-road schmuck who will just get the thing done on time and on budget?
Old 02-25-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Josh Boone Nearing Deal to Write, Direct Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’

With buzz building around his adaptation of “The Fault in Our Stars,” Josh Boone is nearing a deal to write and direct an adaptation of Stephen King’s acclaimed novel “The Stand” for Warner Bros. and CBS Films, TheWrap has learned.

An individual familiar with the studios’ plans tells TheWrap that Boone will adapt King’s epic novel as a single, R-rated movie that will be faithful to the book.
Old 02-25-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
An individual familiar with the studios’ plans tells TheWrap that Boone will adapt King’s epic novel as a single, R-rated movie that will be faithful to the book.[/I]
That's flat out impossible. It can either be a single film or faithful to the book, can't be both.
Old 02-25-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine the film even getting to Boulder in two hours without heavy cuts.
Old 06-05-14, 10:25 PM

So I’m a big Stephen King fan, and I know you’re a gigantic Stephen King fan, so I have to ask about The Stand. You’re directing it. What can you tell me about it?
We’re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board. Every single one of those characters will be somebody you recognize and somebody you relate to. And it’s gonna be awesome. I’m really excited. It’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever got to do in my entire life. If 12-year-old me had ever known that one day I’d be doing this, to even just go back and look at that kid, I’d be like, Keep doing what you’re doing! It’s just crazy. I’ve met so many actors over the years, and like, when I met Stephen King, I hugged him with tears in my eyes. He meant that much to me when I was young. I still say everything I learned about writing I learned from Stephen King. I don’t read screenplays. I don’t read screenplay how-to books. It’s always just, establish the character. Establish the character.
http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/josh-...the-stand.html
Old 06-06-14, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access) - D: Josh Boone

I say The Stand needs Peter Jackson to do it. That way it will be 12 hours long and be book accurate.
Old 06-06-14, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Book accurate? Peter Jackson??
Old 06-06-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Is the studio okay with a 3-hour cut or is that his wishful thinking? If the studio is onboard with the length I wonder if the success of Under the Dome helped.
Old 06-06-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why not do it as a two or three part movie?

Like Deathly Hallows, Breaking Dawn, The Hobbit, Mockingjay, or Atlas Shrugged?

(Okay, maybe not like Atlas Shrugged.)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.